Aquarium IDEA question.

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Leo
Full name: Leo Anger

Aquarium IDEA question.

Post by Leo »

Does anyone in the club here use this? I thought I might buy Aquarium. Will its analysis create a database and make a chess engine stronger by allowing it to access it during a game? Thanks for any input.
Advanced Micro Devices fan.
Werewolf

Re: Aquarium IDEA question.

Post by Werewolf »

I use it a lot and have done some introductory videos about it. It's excellent for analysis if you know how to use it.

But it doesn't create a database, rather a tree. I'm not sure I know what you mean about allowing an engine to access it to make it stronger, but that's not really how it works.
Leo

Post by Leo »

Werewolf wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:25 pm I use it a lot and have done some introductory videos about it. It's excellent for analysis if you know how to use it.

But it doesn't create a database, rather a tree. I'm not sure I know what you mean about allowing an engine to access it to make it stronger, but that's not really how it works.
Thanks. I plan on looking for YouTube videos on it.
mbabigian
Full name: Mike Babigian

Post by mbabigian »

It is virtually undocumented which is why fanboys have created videos. The software is also extremely buggy. If you don't mind supporting such bad behavior with money, go for it. The company will never get anymore of mine.

As a computer programmer myself, calling the software a disgrace, is too kind.

My two cents.
“Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.” ― Mark Twain
Leo

Post by Leo »

mbabigian wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:34 pm It is virtually undocumented which is why fanboys have created videos. The software is also extremely buggy. If you don't mind supporting such bad behavior with money, go for it. The company will never get anymore of mine.

My two cents.
Interesting. Thanks for the info. Good to know.
beatyourchess
Full name: Eric LeClair

Post by beatyourchess »

mbabigian wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:34 pm It is virtually undocumented which is why fanboys have created videos. The software is also extremely buggy. If you don't mind supporting such bad behavior with money, go for it. The company will never get anymore of mine.

My two cents.
LOL You have balls as they say because that is 100% true. At least in my experience. You don't release let alone beta test anything with that much bugs. I sir salute you :)
Ron Langeveld

Post by Ron Langeveld »

My two cents.
It is true that Aquarium is not very stable yet if you know how to keep track of the risks and make proper backups there is a lot to benefit from the set of functions that is available in the program. It may not have changed or improved a lot over the last few year but in terms of usability it is still "light years" in front of the Chessbase offer that has a higher price tag and hasn't even fixed the basic requirements that have been reported as missing since version 8. We are a few years past that with version 14 now. I rather have a low cost high ambition chess software company that exhibits a bug or two that have established workarounds than a status quo CB program that has lesser bugs but zero progress and utter disregard for simple improvements that have been reported years ago without acknowledgment or fix. <end anti CB-rant>

Ron
mbabigian
Full name: Mike Babigian

Post by mbabigian »

One or two bugs? LOL. You sir should run for office! Your skills are being wasted...
“Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.” ― Mark Twain
Leo

Post by Leo »

You can get Aquarium for only $35. I think its worth a try. I don't see any other program like it.
gabeeg

Post by gabeeg »

I have been having a personal struggle between Fritz and Aquarium. I finally gave up on ChessOK and refused to spend money on the once excellent ChessAssistant that has been stagnant for many years (but they have the gall to keep selling new versions based on the game DB update). I also decided to dig into Fritz and not pay for the always buggy but powerful Aquarium...it lasted a year. I now am switched to ChessBase but still use both Fritz and Aquarium. I have to admit that Aquarium 2018 is the most stable version I have owned...probably till 2019 which has a 50/50 chance of introducing a new set of bugs. The frustrating thing is getting ChessOK to issue a free bug fix update is like winning the lottery...and when they do it is usually a secret that someone in the forums discovers but is not a general release! Soooo F'ing irritating and crap customer service. But IDeA is really unbeatable for CC players IMHO (any players really...but especially CC)...and I just can't quit it or give it up...I always come back...like a hot crazy girlfriend or a junkie. But ChessOK's development and customer service model is totally for sh1t (their actual email support response is not bad, I have had decent luck getting answers from them), and they do not deserve me.

It bugs me that they do not develop ChessAssistant anymore, I really loved it. Interesting features and at the time a head above Chessbase. If they are not going to ever touch the code again, wish they would release it open source or sell the code to someone else. It Has the bones to still be a contender if given a modern UI and some minor development.
Kind Regards,

Harry