AMD Threadripper 2990x seems out what is the gain vs 1950x ?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: bob, hgm, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
Leo
Posts: 833
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:55 pm
Location: USA/Minnesota
Full name: Leo

Re: AMD Threadripper 2990x seems out what is the gain vs 1950x ?

Post by Leo » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:30 pm

This would be my choice if I was ready to get a new machine.

https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd ... pper-2950x
Advanced Micro Devices fan.

Leo
Posts: 833
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:55 pm
Location: USA/Minnesota
Full name: Leo

Re: AMD Threadripper 2990x seems out what is the gain vs 1950x ?

Post by Leo » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:24 pm

Here is info on the newest chipset. The AMD X470.

https://edgeup.asus.com/2018/the-x470-m ... zen-build/
Advanced Micro Devices fan.

gogamoga
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat May 21, 2016 7:45 am

Re: AMD Threadripper 2990x seems out what is the gain vs 1950x ?

Post by gogamoga » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:43 pm

This is the best I could come up with

Image

Werewolf
Posts: 1193
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:24 pm

Re: AMD Threadripper 2990x seems out what is the gain vs 1950x ?

Post by Werewolf » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:35 pm

Dann Corbit wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:22 pm
The 32 core threadripper also has stunted memory access.
I was rather surprised that it did so well on chess.
It seems that benchmarks for performances are hit or miss, sometimes even falling below the 16 core chip, depending on the task.
^this. I'm dubious about this CPU. And that's mainly because of the memory and the "infinity fabric".
Presumably EPYC is a little better?

Werewolf
Posts: 1193
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:24 pm

Re: AMD Threadripper 2990x seems out what is the gain vs 1950x ?

Post by Werewolf » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:00 pm

Also would it have multiple NUMA?

Milos
Posts: 3387
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:47 am

Re: AMD Threadripper 2990x seems out what is the gain vs 1950x ?

Post by Milos » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:03 pm

Werewolf wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:00 pm
Also would it have multiple NUMA?
Threadripper is a single socket CPU both old and new ones and it will stay like this (the same like Intel i* are all single socket). So there is no point talking about NUMA at all.

User avatar
Thomas Lagershausen
Posts: 238
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:59 pm

Re: AMD Threadripper 2990x seems out what is the gain vs 1950x ?

Post by Thomas Lagershausen » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:24 pm

@gogamoga

You are the best.

I have one last question to you.

All cpus run on baseclock?
TL

gogamoga
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat May 21, 2016 7:45 am

Re: AMD Threadripper 2990x seems out what is the gain vs 1950x ?

Post by gogamoga » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:33 pm

Thomas Lagershausen wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:24 pm

All cpus run on baseclock?
For the Threadrippers, non-K Intel and FX-8350 - yes, all others OC'ed above average

zullil
Posts: 5668
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:31 pm
Location: PA USA
Full name: Louis Zulli

Re: AMD Threadripper 2990x seems out what is the gain vs 1950x ?

Post by zullil » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:46 pm

Milos wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:03 pm
Werewolf wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:00 pm
Also would it have multiple NUMA?
Threadripper is a single socket CPU both old and new ones and it will stay like this (the same like Intel i* are all single socket). So there is no point talking about NUMA at all.
https://serverfault.com/questions/87701 ... numa-nodes

Dann Corbit
Posts: 10112
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:57 pm
Location: Redmond, WA USA
Contact:

Re: AMD Threadripper 2990x seems out what is the gain vs 1950x ?

Post by Dann Corbit » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:06 pm

Werewolf wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:35 pm
Dann Corbit wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:22 pm
The 32 core threadripper also has stunted memory access.
I was rather surprised that it did so well on chess.
It seems that benchmarks for performances are hit or miss, sometimes even falling below the 16 core chip, depending on the task.
^this. I'm dubious about this CPU. And that's mainly because of the memory and the "infinity fabric".
Presumably EPYC is a little better?
Epyc has twice the memory bandwidth and the cost is not that much more. The downside is that the Epyc CPUs all go into server boxes, which means loud and hot. But they will play chess with a violent anger. As soon as the 7 nm chips come out, I will most likely buy an Epic powered box. Probably one step down from the top CPU, which gives better nodes per dollar. (e.g. in the current generation it would be 7551 instead of 7601.)

You also get a MUCH better I/O setup with the server machines, on the plus side. You will get SAS drives, and a fancy raid stripe card, which can give you mind bending storage speeds.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.

Post Reply