Arasan test suite with minimal depth

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

op12no2
Full name: Colin Jenkins

Re: Arasan test suite with minimal depth

Post by op12no2 »

Dann Corbit wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 8:53 pm Grouped by 4, each position (of the 4) should have identical evaluation. If not, then there is an evaluation bug.
Found 2 bugs just now, trying that!
jdart

Post by jdart »

Micro-max has no hash table and no null move pruning.

I think with a hashtable, properly implemented PVS, and recursive null move, you should get >12 ply easily.

--Jon
xr_a_y

Post by xr_a_y »

I think micromax has null move, hash table, ... but anyway, I get your point. Still looking for bugs :D
xr_a_y

Post by xr_a_y »

xr_a_y wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 6:57 am
Dann Corbit wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 8:53 pm Grouped by 4, each position (of the 4) should have identical evaluation. If not, then there is an evaluation bug.
Thanks I'll give it a shot today.
Cool, I found 3 little bugs in evaluation with this. Thanks a lot! now included in the unit test :-)
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Just writing a working chess program is quite an accomplishment.
I guess that you will have fun and progress quickly.
There are lots of experienced chess programmers who hang out in this forum and they can help you.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
zenpawn

Post by zenpawn »

It looks like the castling rights aren't being adjusted on the color flips.
Erin Dame
Author of RookieMonster
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

zenpawn wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 9:59 pm
It looks like the castling rights aren't being adjusted on the color flips.
Thanks for the bug report. I will look into it.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
flok

Post by flok »

But how do you handle PSQ? Because in http://chessprogramming.wikispaces.com/ ... n+function the queen PSQ is not symmetrical.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

In truth, all piece square tables should be non-symmetrical. I have some data used to make a piece square heat map, and not a single table is symmetrical.

So, if you have piece square tables coded that way, you can tell that they are the cause of the difference if you dump your eval term by term.
flok

Post by flok »

Dann Corbit wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 8:38 pm In truth, all piece square tables should be non-symmetrical. I have some data used to make a piece square heat map, and not a single table is symmetrical.

So, if you have piece square tables coded that way, you can tell that they are the cause of the difference if you dump your eval term by term.
Ok. I was thinking that maybe the PSQ in the wiki was incorrect. Ok thanks.

But all other terms (like mobility) should be mirrorable, right?