Arasan test suite with minimal depth

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

xr_a_y

Arasan test suite with minimal depth

Post by xr_a_y »

Can someone post the Arasan test suite with minimal depth needed to solve each position ?
jdart

Re: Arasan test suite with minimal depth

Post by jdart »

The depth required is going to vary depending on the engine, and if multithreaded, it can also vary from one run to the next.

--Jon
xr_a_y

Post by xr_a_y »

Yes, but there is some kind of minimal depth under which the good move cannot probably be found (except by "luck").
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

If everyone used pure alpha-beta with no other pruning or extensions and the same evaluation, then there would be a clear answer.

Sting finds the answer to this position in 4 seconds:
5rk1/pp3p2/7b/2pR4/8/2P4P/P1PNr1P1/2K4R b - -
Stockfish did not find it in 1/2 hour on my machine with the same tablebase, threadcount, hash, etc.
But Stockfish is clearly stronger than Sting.

That is why the question is so difficult.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
xr_a_y

Post by xr_a_y »

I was looking for some kind of minimal depth because at 60sec per position, my engine is only scoring 10/200, and I know I really miss some better pruning to go deeper. So if most positions need deep analysis to find the good move (and by deep, I mean more than 12 plies) , I will relaunch the test with 30 min per positions.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Did you debug your evaluation by rotation of the board and reversal of the colors to ensure that it is 100% correct?
I guess that you have a defect.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Grouped by 4, each position (of the 4) should have identical evaluation. If not, then there is an evaluation bug.
jdart

Post by jdart »

xr_a_y wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 8:39 pm My engine is only scoring 10/200, and I know I really miss some better pruning to go deeper. ,So if most positions need deep analysis to find the good move (and by deep, I mean more than 12 plies)
If you are not getting a lot more than 12 plies at 60 seconds/position, then something is badly wrong. Maybe a very bad branching factor or more likely bugs.

These are medium-hard positions (harder than WAC for example) but mostly not very challenging for top-level engines. Arasan doesn't actually do so well on these itself, but the latest version scored 112/200 at 60 seconds/position, on a quad core system.

--Jon
xr_a_y

Post by xr_a_y »

Dann Corbit wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 8:53 pm Grouped by 4, each position (of the 4) should have identical evaluation. If not, then there is an evaluation bug.
Thanks I'll give it a shot today.
xr_a_y

Post by xr_a_y »

jdart wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 1:05 am
xr_a_y wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 8:39 pm My engine is only scoring 10/200, and I know I really miss some better pruning to go deeper. ,So if most positions need deep analysis to find the good move (and by deep, I mean more than 12 plies)
If you are not getting a lot more than 12 plies at 60 seconds/position, then something is badly wrong. Maybe a very bad branching factor or more likely bugs.

These are medium-hard positions (harder than WAC for example) but mostly not very challenging for top-level engines. Arasan doesn't actually do so well on these itself, but the latest version scored 112/200 at 60 seconds/position, on a quad core system.

--Jon
I am always looking for bugs of course ... But note that microMax is not going more than 12 plies in 60sec and has probably no horrible bug.