LCZero is using my cores, not my GPU.

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Dann Corbit

LCZero is using my cores, not my GPU.

Post by Dann Corbit »

How can I tell LCZero to use my GPU and not my cores.
I use that machine for analyzing chess positions and I do not want it to use my CPUs.
Is there a command line flag or something to tell it to use the GPU?
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
AdminX

Re: LCZero is using my cores, not my GPU.

Post by AdminX »

What I did was create two different subdirectories inside the main LCZero directory. One called GPU and the other called CPU.
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by FWCC »

There are two files that you can use I have discovered one is GPU the other is CPU I think they give you two to have the option on which one to use when you go to the assets page you can just select CPU and unpack that. Don't forget to run the client file first. I'm no expert but when you go to this page https://github.com/glinscott/leela-ches ... s/tag/v0.7
Pick CPU. Not sure if we must have both files.
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

FWCC wrote:There are two files that you can use I have discovered one is GPU the other is CPU I think they give you two to have the option on which one to use when you go to the assets page you can just select CPU and unpack that. Don't forget to run the client file first. I'm no expert but when you go to this page https://github.com/glinscott/leela-ches ... s/tag/v0.7
You don't need both, if you have a good GPU then I would go with GPU otherwise CPU.
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by Robert Flesher »

AdminX wrote:What I did was create two different subdirectories inside the main LCZero directory. One called GPU and the other called CPU.

I cannot get the damned thing running!
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

AdminX wrote:
FWCC wrote:There are two files that you can use I have discovered one is GPU the other is CPU I think they give you two to have the option on which one to use when you go to the assets page you can just select CPU and unpack that. Don't forget to run the client file first. I'm no expert but when you go to this page https://github.com/glinscott/leela-ches ... s/tag/v0.7
You don't need both, if you have a good GPU then I would go with GPU otherwise CPU.
That is the option that I want.

My GPU is 2 TF, about 100 times more powerful than my CPUs on that machine anyway.

And besides, I want to use the CPUs for my own purpose.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
Milton

Post by Milton »

I am getting a new computer around May 3 (a Dell Alien Area 51) and I would like to participate in this project.
Based on this configuration, would it be best for me to download the GPU file or the CPU file?

Intel® Core™ i9 7980XE
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1080 with 8GB GDDR5X
32GB Dual Channel HyperX™ DDR4 XMP at 2933MHz
Laskos
Full name: Kai Laskos

Post by Laskos »

Milton wrote:I am getting a new computer around May 3 (a Dell Alien Area 51) and I would like to participate in this project.
Based on this configuration, would it be best for me to download the GPU file or the CPU file?

Intel® Core™ i9 7980XE
I am not that knowledgeable, but estimates on NPS to depth 26 and higher on initial position are for non-OC CPU at 3.4 GHz (with Turbo Boost on all cores) about 3.5-4knps, for non-OC GPU maybe 4knps. CPU probably can be overclocked easily to 4.0 or 4.2 GHz. Hard to say, and I am not sure if the performance on 18 threads is not hurt a bit compared to NPS shown. Anyway, you will have to check both.
kasinp
Full name: Peter Kasinski

Post by kasinp »

Milton wrote:I am getting a new computer around May 3 (a Dell Alien Area 51) and I would like to participate in this project.

Intel® Core™ i9 7980XE
I would say GPU hands down. In my case a 1080 ti outperforms the CPU version running on a 14-core Xeon at 3.00GHz. Seems it really prefers the GPU architecture.
PK
kasinp
Full name: Peter Kasinski

Post by kasinp »

kasinp wrote:

Intel® Core™ i9 7980XE
I would say GPU hands down. In my case a 1080 ti outperforms the CPU version running on a 14-core Xeon at 3.00GHz. Seems it really prefers the GPU architecture.
PK
I should rephrase: the performance will be close, but the GPU will achieve it without breaking sweat (it will never exceed 80% utilization), in my case it doesn't even go above silent mode. OTOH, the i9 will behave like a decent space heater to achieve the similar level of play. In that sense I consider the GPU to be a hands-down better option.

PK