Banned from TCEC chat

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

bnst

Re: Banned from TCEC chat

Post by bnst »

I have seen the movie. Very interesting !
I'm trying not to do like the prisoners and passively accept the abuse.
Another good example of what happens when you give power to immature people.

Best regards
Andreas
bnst

Post by bnst »

I talked with some other people who were also banned. It turns out that there are no clear rules and that the administrators just like the power. I was probably banned for mentioning the YLCET web-site, but others that also mentioned it was not banned.

I think the chat has turned out to be a group for the selected few who are "in" with the administrators.

Best regards
Andreas
bnst

Post by bnst »

Right :)
Trying to contribute when I have something sensible to say. I have though been contributing since the RGC days and never been treated like this.

Best regards
Andreas
bnst

Post by bnst »

I am dead in the chat !

Best regards
Andreas
Mike S.

Post by Mike S. »

I was probably banned for mentioning the YLCET web-site
To 99.9% not by a human moderator. Generally such similar tournaments and results are always welcome in the TCEC chat. Are you sure the ban is permanent?

Anyway, I can only assume it could be a kind of automated ban. Twich as a gaming stream platform has channels with 10,000+ simultanous chatters, and so they have automated a lot of things which may not be always on the spot.

I guess you could rejoin with a new account if desired.
Regards, Mike
bnst

Post by bnst »

It is possible it was automated which doen't help. The rules should be published and they should be sensible !

The message I get when trying to use the chat is that I have been permanently banned.

Look a Dan Corbit's post. It seems he at least was not automatically banned. I got the same impression from other banned people too that it is completely random and just a way of abusing power.

Whoever is resposible for making a bunch of immature mini-dictators administors of the chat should feel very ashamed and correct the mistake immediately !

As for myself I will never use TCEC chat og Twitch again.

Best regards
Andreas
lantonov

Post by lantonov »

Read above in the blue field in the TCEC site: "There's a new sheriff in town!" Everyone who has been for the last couple of years in TCEC chat knows who is this "sheriff". He bans people on a whim, especially if someone says something that can be interpreted as a critique of TCEC or Komodo or a promotion of YLCET or Stockfish.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Wow, scary and not that surprising I'd say. I didn't know about these kind of experiments, but I'm an ignorant in psychology. Thanks for the link.
Nelson Hernandez

Post by Nelson Hernandez »

Well, Andreas, you certainly don't give us a chance to tell our side of the story if you don't even include what nick you used in TCEC. If you did, we could review the texts that led to banning and publish them for the community to judge for themselves. Or, if you would prefer to keep this a private matter, you could always contact Anton Mihailov directly, a kindly gentleman who does not have a reputation as a petty tyrant.

As a general rule, though, there are several things that can get people in trouble. (Maine coon cats not one of them, Dann. You're always welcome at TCEC, sir.) Naturally, any kind of abusive, libelous, incendiary, harsh or vulgar language is frowned upon. Relentless advocacy for other websites or other private endeavors we don't care for: mentioning YLCET is fine; talking about it constantly is a nuisance, just as is anyone who constantly asks people to join the Stockfish project. We also have a zero-tolerance attitude toward anyone who defends or advocates the tactics, projects or ideas of a certain individual who maniacally harassed our site for over four years--long-time TCEC fans know that story. I don't think rules such as these make us tyrannical or power-mad. We hate banning people. Sometimes there is little choice if we want a civilized place where computer chess people can gather without having to cope with lunatic chatters.

By the way, I am stunned by your accusation that we favor Komodo. What utter nonsense. I mean, where does that come from?
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Nelson Hernandez wrote:Well, Andreas, you certainly don't give us a chance to tell our side of the story if you don't even include what nick you used in TCEC. If you did, we could review the texts that led to banning and publish them for the community to judge for themselves. Or, if you would prefer to keep this a private matter, you could always contact Anton Mihailov directly, a kindly gentleman who does not have a reputation as a petty tyrant.

As a general rule, though, there are several things that can get people in trouble. (Maine coon cats not one of them, Dann. You're always welcome at TCEC, sir.) Naturally, any kind of abusive, libelous, incendiary, harsh or vulgar language is frowned upon. Relentless advocacy for other websites or other private endeavors we don't care for: mentioning YLCET is fine; talking about it constantly is a nuisance, just as is anyone who constantly asks people to join the Stockfish project. We also have a zero-tolerance attitude toward anyone who defends or advocates the tactics, projects or ideas of a certain individual who maniacally harassed our site for over four years--long-time TCEC fans know that story. I don't think rules such as these make us tyrannical or power-mad. We hate banning people. Sometimes there is little choice if we want a civilized place where computer chess people can gather without having to cope with lunatic chatters.

By the way, I am stunned by your accusation that we favor Komodo. What utter nonsense. I mean, where does that come from?
Type in: "Maine coon cats are swell" and see what happens.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.