SALC V5 openings and books launched

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

pohl4711
Full name: Stefan Pohl

SALC V5 openings and books launched

Post by pohl4711 »

I just released my brand new SALC V5 openings and books.

SALC means "S"hort "A"nd "L"ong "C"astling: white and black castling to opposite sides (if white played 0-0, black played 0-0-0. If white played 0-0-0, black played 0-0).
When using SALC-openings, the chance for attacks towards the opponent king is much higher than using normal opening-books. Because of this, computerchess using SALC openings, will bring more action and fun to watch (and a measureable lower number of draws), because the faster the computers get, the higher the quality of computerchess get and the higher the draw-rate in engine-engine-matches get...so the computerchess is in danger to die the "draw-death" in the near future. So, using SALC openings will give computerchess a future beyond playing only draws or using strange and incorrect gambit-openings for a lower draw-rate!

What is new in SALC V5 (compared to older SALC V1 - V3) ? SALC V5 contains half-closed SALC-positions, only. And that leads to measureable lower draw-rates, compared to older SALC-versions - take a look at the testing-results on my website. So, it is strongly recommended to use the new SALC V5 openings from now, only and not the older SALC-versions.

These are the half-closed filters:
3) On d-line or e-line at least one white and one black pawn (=one of both center-lines closed)
4) no pawn-capture on the center-squares (e4,d4,e5,d5) possible (means: not allowed: (white pawn on e4 and black pawn on d5) or (white pawn on d4 and black pawn on e5) - so, the position cannot get fully open after 1 or 2 played moves by the engines.
5) no pawn-free d-line, when both queens are on d-line. So, the queens cannot capture each other after 1 or 2 played moves by the engines.

The idea is, that in these half-closed positions, the probability of fast and many capturing-moves is much lower, so it should took more time (and moves) to reach drawish endgame-positions. So, the probability of an interesting and long midgame should get higher...

Checkout my website for testing results and further information and download SALC V5 there.

http://www.sp-cc.de/salc-openings.htm

Stefan (SPCC)
AdminX

Re: SALC V5 openings and books launched

Post by AdminX »

Thank You Stefan! I look forward to viewing it.
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."
Full name: Graham O'Neill

Post by GONeill »

Hi Stefan,

I see you've included an Arena (ABK) version, so thank you! For anybody interested I have a program ABK2BIN that can convert this to Polyglot, for example to use it in LucasChess:

http://goneill.co.nz/chess.php

Also included are ABK2OBK (for Chessmaster), OBK2ABK, OBK2BIN, BIN2ABK and BIN2OBK. The BIN2ABK and BIN2OBK are really only suitable for small files though as the possible transpositions in large files leads to the program getting caught in huge loops.

Graham
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Hi Stefan,

is the PGN for the smaller book available?
If so, I can create a ChessGUI book from it.

Graham.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Thank you. I learn important lessons from all of your books.

I also think that short verses long castling is a very important theme.

In addition, games can become really exciting when opposite castles occur.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
pohl4711

Post by pohl4711 »

Graham Banks wrote:Hi Stefan,

is the PGN for the smaller book available?
If so, I can create a ChessGUI book from it.

Graham.
There is only one book included (for three GUIs) - there is no smaller (?) or bigger book. The book is based on 25000 lines and the PGN-file for it, is SALC_V5_hc_10m.pgn
Then there are two testsets in the testsets-folder, one with 500 positions and one with 5000 positions/lines. Both as PGN and EPD. It would be possible to create a book out of the 5000 lines file, but I think, that would be too small for a opening book.

If you create a book out of the SALC_V5_hc_10m.pgn file for ChessGUI, then write a PM to me or contact me over my website and then I will send you my email and you can send me the ChessGUI book. And I will add it to the SALC V5 package. That would be cool.

Regards - Stefan (SPCC)
pohl4711

Post by pohl4711 »

Dann Corbit wrote: In addition, games can become really exciting when opposite castles occur.
Thats the main idea of SALC... :D
pohl4711

Post by pohl4711 »

GONeill wrote:Hi Stefan,

I see you've included an Arena (ABK) version, so thank you! For anybody interested I have a program ABK2BIN that can convert this to Polyglot, for example to use it in LucasChess:

http://goneill.co.nz/chess.php

Also included are ABK2OBK (for Chessmaster), OBK2ABK, OBK2BIN, BIN2ABK and BIN2OBK. The BIN2ABK and BIN2OBK are really only suitable for small files though as the possible transpositions in large files leads to the program getting caught in huge loops.

Graham
The PGN-file the book was made of is (of course) included in the SALC V5 package (SALC_V5_hc_10m.pgn (25000 lines, no double endpositions)). So, if you need another book-format beyond FritzGUI, ShredderGUI and ArenaGUI, it is possible to create it from the PGN-file in the GUI, you want to use.

Stefan (SPCC)
BrendanJNorman
Full name: Brendan J Norman

Post by BrendanJNorman »

Dann Corbit wrote:Thank you. I learn important lessons from all of your books.

I also think that short verses long castling is a very important theme.

In addition, games can become really exciting when opposite castles occur.
This is an immutable law of chess strategy, not even necessarily related to computer chess.

It's one of the first dynamics I teach and train my students in, actually.

Anyway, I love these types of "theme-based" books, and will share my thoughts more on this one when I finish work.
Jeroen

Post by Jeroen »

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for your new SALC openingbook. I always like opposite castling (I also include such positions in my TCEC superfinal sets), it adds asymmetry to the game, which is a plus considering the high draw rate between the top engines.

F.e. in games with castling on the same side, you can exchange all pawns on the other side of the board without problems. In games with opposite castling this is not possible, thus "SALC" prevents lots of pawn exchanges. Another advantage is that both kings are on the opposite side of the board, which might lead to interesting endings. Finally, you might see pawn storms and attacks from such positions.

Looking to your set, I suggest a few improvements:

1. Only use human games where both players have at least 2500 elo, IMO this improves the quality of the lines;

2. Cut the lines at the point where the 2nd castling has been played. This avoids unnecessary moves and/or lower quality moves after that 2nd castling;

3. Include only positions with a score between 0.30 (or 0.25) and 0.60, as positions close to 0.00 might increase the probability of a draw.

Another option instead of #3 would be to test the set in games between the top 3 engines and exclude the lines that have the most draws.

Keep up the good work!

Kind regards, Jeroen