Chess for Android v5.3

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

abik
Full name: Aart Bik

Chess for Android v5.3

Post by abik »

I am rolling out version 5.3 of Chess for Android on Google Play.

Changes:
  • improved position setup for larger screen sizes
  • two new board colors, right in time for the holidays (requested by Bill Cooper)
hagtorp

Re: Chess for Android v5.3

Post by hagtorp »

Hi. The application is excellent, but there is not enough win function (like Cute Chess for PC).
Nordlandia

Post by Nordlandia »

hagtorp wrote:Hi. The application is excellent, but there is not enough win function (like Cute Chess for PC).
I agree. Draw and resign adjudication is nessecsary.

Image[/img]
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Post by mclane »

???
You can run any uci engine that is compiled for android in it.
IMO It should be possible to find an engine that is a good challenger for you.

Chess by aart bik is the perfect GUI to run uci engines.
To be more precise, what ARENA is for PC is chess by aart bik for android hardware.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
hagtorp

Post by hagtorp »

I compile the engines on the android and I often have to conduct a tournament between them to identify possible errors. In Chess For Android, there is a game option between the engines, but many games take a long time, the engines spend a lot of time either on tied positions or on the positions won. Therefore, I spend a lot of time in vain. I already wrote about this on the e-mail of Aart Bik, he said that the award is a good idea, but never did it.
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Post by mclane »

hagtorp wrote:I compile the engines on the android and I often have to conduct a tournament between them to identify possible errors. In Chess For Android, there is a game option between the engines, but many games take a long time, the engines spend a lot of time either on tied positions or on the positions won. Therefore, I spend a lot of time in vain. I already wrote about this on the e-mail of Aart Bik, he said that the award is a good idea, but never did it.
I see. You need adjudication parameters.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
abik

Post by abik »

hagtorp wrote:I already wrote about this on the e-mail of Aart Bik, he said that the award is a good idea, but never did it.
I have a very, very long list of feature requests and I although am really motivated to make everyone happy, finding the spare time to make it so is not always easy.....

For my own understanding on proper GUI adjudication, I assume that the "draw" settings of movenumber=35, movecount=5, score=5cp mean that if after move 35 we have 5 consecutive moves where the score is below 5cp, the GUI can adjudicate this as a draw? Do GUI's use their own evaluation for this, or should both engines that are playing agree on the score? I can see issues with either model, so some insights on this would be appreciated.
Ras
Full name: Rasmus Althoff

Post by Ras »

abik wrote:Do GUI's use their own evaluation for this, or should both engines that are playing agree on the score?
The latter one. Otherwise, the GUI would have to implement a better chess engine than the ones it is adjudicating. It's also easiest for the GUI author.
Ras
Full name: Rasmus Althoff

Post by Ras »

With the previous version, I had one vague user report where going out of the application and back to it again during a game would make the engine unresponsive. Can you check using a Winboard engine whether this might have been a GUI issue? Could as well have been on my side since it was a dev version, but I've switched over to UCI anyway, so I didn't investigate.
abik

Post by abik »

Ras wrote:I had one vague user report where going out of the application and back to it again during a game would make the engine unresponsive. Can you check using a Winboard engine whether this might have been a GUI issue?
Yes, that is a bit too vague :-)

I have no issues running Xboard engines in my GUI. Please make sure the engine is compiled properly for whatever Android version you are using, see this old thread for starters.