Houdini 6 has been released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

BrendanJNorman
Full name: Brendan J Norman

Re: Houdini 6 has been released

Post by BrendanJNorman »

shrapnel wrote:Took the Plunge ! Got a Discount as I'd bought Houdini 5 earlier.
Figured that whatever my doubts about the strength of Houdini 6, private enterprise should be encouraged.
Also, a computer chess world with only Stockfish and its derivatives would be a very boring one !
Cheers !
That's the right attitude mate!

Indeed, let us know your thoughts - especially regarding playing style vs weaker opps. ;)
tpoppins

Post by tpoppins »

david wrote:i ran 1 minute blitz matches, again between houdini 6 and stockfish 8, 8 threads on a ryzen 1800x.

Houdini +136 =547 -117

if anyone can convert into Elo and the corresponding uncertainty limits, i would be grateful.
+8 Elo, +/-14 Elo. These latter are called error margins (or error bars). If you run 4X games, the error bars will be +/-7, so if the ratio of the wins/draws/losses stays exactly the same you will know that H6 is definitely at least one (and perhaps as much as 15) Elo stronger. To narrow the bars to +/-2 you'll need 40X games (i.e. 32,000); around 100,000 for +/-1.

You can run Elostat to get all the stats yourself. You already have it if you have Arena installed, otherwise download it here.
david

Post by david »

thanks for the tip on arena/ Elostat !
cheers
david
jpqy

Post by jpqy »

Or here: Chess Elo Rating Difference Calculator

http://www.3dkingdoms.com/chess/elo.htm

JP.
david

Post by david »

Interesting. I ran some 4 minute blitz games, as before.

Houdini +127 =644 -78 Stockfish 8

so Houdini is net +49 from 849 games, or net 5.8% wins.
this compares with a net +19 from 800 games, or 2.375% net wins at 1 minute time control, and with 1.1765% net wins at a 15 minute time control.

I understand that shows Houdini at +8 Elo, but that is +/- 14 Elo according to Elostat.

So, strange; it appears the difference between Houdini and stockfish 8 varies with time control, and not linearly. However, it isn't clear yet that any of these represent significant differences.

david
david

Post by david »

I ran 4000 1 minute games between Houdini 6 and stockfish 8.
Houdini +655 -602 =2743 for a net +53 out of ~4000 games.
Elostat says that this is +4 Elo difference, but the error is +/- 6 Elo.
So i still cannot say it is better than stockfish 8 :-)

david
shrapnel

Post by shrapnel »

BrendanJNorman wrote:That's the right attitude mate!

Indeed, let us know your thoughts - especially regarding playing style vs weaker opps. ;)
Well, on my Ryzen System, HT On and using all 16 Threads is probably improving performance/results. Certainly doing no harm.
Testing various Contempt values now.
Not yet tested on my Intel System.
i7 5960X @ 4.1 Ghz, 64 GB G.Skill RipJaws RAM, Twin Asus ROG Strix OC 11 GB Geforce 2080 Tis
Sylwy
Full name: SilvianR

Re: My tests

Post by Sylwy »

schack

Post by schack »

Those who bought the Chessbase release of H6 and are using Ryzen processor should check to see that the installer put the correct versions of the engines into their folders:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\ChessBase\Engines.uci

The installer puts the UCI engines into the Houdini 6 folder and, at least when I installed, it installed the pext versions of the engine instead of the popc versions. I had to manually go into the installer and pull out the correct versions, copy them to the correct folder, etc.
Houdini

Post by Houdini »

schack wrote:Those who bought the Chessbase release of H6 and are using Ryzen processor should check to see that the installer put the correct versions of the engines into their folders:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\ChessBase\Engines.uci

The installer puts the UCI engines into the Houdini 6 folder and, at least when I installed, it installed the pext versions of the engine instead of the popc versions. I had to manually go into the installer and pull out the correct versions, copy them to the correct folder, etc.
Thank you for reporting this. I will immediately inform ChessBase.
I did provide clear instructions for installing the "popc" engine on Ryzen, obviously a mistake was made...

Robert