Prestige Chess Computer

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

vb4

Prestige Chess Computer

Post by vb4 »

I am a proud owner of the Prestige Chess Computer which I purchased back in 1981. I just found out the transforme (power supply) no longer works. Can someone recommend where I may go to find another one or an equivalent. I would deeply appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks Les
reflectionofpower

Re: Prestige Chess Computer

Post by reflectionofpower »

Do you mean the power supply that gives it AC? Specs on the power supply,make. You might be able to rig up something.
"Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken." (Dune - 1984)

Lonnie
vb4

Post by vb4 »

Hi,

Yes the power supply. Yes I am going to see if I can match the specs and make this work. I will do some research and see if I can find a company who makes a series of these power supplies, thx for answering Lonnie.

Les
reflectionofpower

I'm sure that just the main power supply itself is toasted. Universal adapter or if put the specs in Google and search you can find something. The hardest part I imagine will be finding the right fit for the male end on your Prestige.

Another one from another model should work if it connects right and the voltage & amps are right.

https://www.chesshouse.com/products/mil ... er-adapter
"Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken." (Dune - 1984)

Lonnie
Eelco de Groot
Full name:   

Post by Eelco de Groot »

The standalone chess computer experts are mostly on the HIARCS forum these days. I'm sure Steve could give some advice? And be careful not to use wrong voltage power supply.
Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first
place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you
are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.
-- Brian W. Kernighan
Milos

Post by Milos »

vb4 wrote:I am a proud owner of the Prestige Chess Computer which I purchased back in 1981. I just found out the transforme (power supply) no longer works. Can someone recommend where I may go to find another one or an equivalent. I would deeply appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks Les
Check the connector type, voltage and current spec, go to ebay and type it in, you'll get plenty for under 10$.
reflectionofpower

Milos wrote:
vb4 wrote:I am a proud owner of the Prestige Chess Computer which I purchased back in 1981. I just found out the transforme (power supply) no longer works. Can someone recommend where I may go to find another one or an equivalent. I would deeply appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks Les
Check the connector type, voltage and current spec, go to ebay and type it in, you'll get plenty for under 10$.
Good idea. I just looked there and there is a lot to choose from.

Lonnie
vb4

Post by vb4 »

Hi Lonnie,

What I plan on doing with the connection type is the following:

I have the old power supply and the 2 hole plug that plugs into the power supply cable on the Prestige which has 2 male round leads. Since I know the female side of the power supply that does not work anymore I can cut off say 6 inches of the female receiving end and wire into the new ac adapter. Thank you Lonnie for your thoughts and I will keep you posted how I make out.

Les
reflectionofpower

vb4 wrote:Hi Lonnie,

What I plan on doing with the connection type is the following:

I have the old power supply and the 2 hole plug that plugs into the power supply cable on the Prestige which has 2 male round leads. Since I know the female side of the power supply that does not work anymore I can cut off say 6 inches of the female receiving end and wire into the new ac adapter. Thank you Lonnie for your thoughts and I will keep you posted how I make out.

Les
Please do. Is that Prestige the wooden version? Rating, specs?

Lonnie
vb4

Post by vb4 »

Hi Lonnie

Check out this link <S>

http://www.chesscomputeruk.com/html/fid ... stige.html

Not sure what the rating was on this machine back in early 1980.

Enjoy