Question to Uri

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Rodolfo Leoni

Question to Uri

Post by Rodolfo Leoni »

I just subscribed ICCF, and I want to participate some events, just to have a pleasant experience. I already knew you are a strong OTB Master, but I didn't suspect you are ranked #14 in world as a correspondence player... Congratulations!

As correspondence playing changed a lot since the times of engines getting stronger than men engines always play a role in correspondence games. I wish to ask you what's the best way to interact with engines for getting the best help. I guess the only use of IDeA is useless, and I think to let engines thinking in infinite mode for days is useless as well.

What's the secret? Is it the old style to reproduce variations on the GUI to get engine output score as confirmation (or confutation)? Human evaluation can still make the difference?

Thanks. :)
F.S.I. Chess Teacher
Uri Blass

Re: Question to Uri

Post by Uri Blass »

I already quit correspondence chess.

Practically part of the reason that I am ranked 14 in the world is that
in the last years that I played correspondence chess I did not play in new tournaments and mainly replaced an israeli player in some events and continued his games so I guess that I have something like 20 elo more than I should have.

Games that I did not start are considered for my rating in case that I win but are considered for the player that I replace in case that I do not win rating points.

My main advantage was that unlike part of my opponents I did not play in many tournament at the same time so I could invest more computer time on my games.

I practically used only infinite analysis(but not only in the root position and sometimes in different lines that the computer did not suggest) and I think that I did not have a lot of improvement to the computer in the last years that I played.
Rodolfo Leoni

Post by Rodolfo Leoni »

Thanks Uri. :)
Uri Blass wrote:......................................
(but not only in the root position and sometimes in different lines that the computer did not suggest) and I think that I did not have a lot of improvement to the computer in the last years that I played.
There could still be hope for human race. 8-)
F.S.I. Chess Teacher
MikeGL

Post by MikeGL »

Rodolfo Leoni wrote:Thanks Uri. :)
(but not only in the root position and sometimes in different lines that the computer did not suggest) and I think that I did not have a lot of improvement to the computer in the last years that I played.
My sentiment too. Humility is very rare these days. ; )
That post of Uri was probably one of the most humble post I have seen here since the past few years.

Milos

Post by Milos »

MikeGL wrote:
That post of Uri was probably one of the most humble post I have seen here since the past few years.
It is just totally honest.
Leo
Full name: Leo Anger

Post by Leo »

MikeGL wrote:

It was a good post.
Advanced Micro Devices fan.