Komodo and WCCC

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Rodolfo Leoni

Komodo and WCCC

Post by Rodolfo Leoni »

Everybody knows Komodo confirmed the WCCC title few days ago, after a very difficult tourney where draw was the rule. I think Komodo is worth of congratulations but it seemed few people made them to Larry & C. And for playing a top level tournament, Jonny, Shredder and Chiron teams should receive a hand strike too.

I had the impression the most important computer chess event has fallen into general indifference. If I'm wrong, I apologize. It's my perception.

So, I wish to renew congrats to K team for winning and others for partecipating. We have a Champion! :)
F.S.I. Chess Teacher
Kotlov

Re: Komodo and WCCC

Post by Kotlov »

Stockfish champion!

Good work, people!

OS rules!
Rodolfo Leoni

Post by Rodolfo Leoni »

I agree Stockfish should be allowed to partecipate. The official Stockfish 8 could be 10 ELO stronger than Komodo. And the fact Marco started this winning project severals years ago makes me feel proud to be Italian. But rules are rules. They are unfair, but still rules.

To let the event dies in silence isn't good for computer chess. We should all congratulate with K team, and then chess programmer should send an open letter to David Levy, if they want different rukes.

They should write:
"Dear David, while congratulating with Komodo we note the absence of..... We then propose 1...2....3....4.....99 as new rules for WCCC". The more programmers will sign it, the more impact it'll have.

While doing so, what's the cost of congratulations? :)
F.S.I. Chess Teacher
IanO

Post by IanO »

Rodolfo Leoni wrote:I agree Stockfish should be allowed to participate.
I didn't think that was ever an issue. I thought the Stockfish team simply didn't want the hassle of building a tournament book, traveling, and moving pieces on a physical board. There is nothing in the Stockfish code that would violate ICGA rules for participation, is there?

(But I agree that it detracts from the prestige of the event that only a few of the top programs can or want to participate. Though I'm grateful we at least have Komodo and a supercomputer (and a new Shredder) in the last few years!)
Henk

Post by Henk »

Number of participants is only a matter of money. If you pay large fees almost every engine owner wants to partcipate.
leavenfish

Post by leavenfish »

It is not a serious title and everyone knows it.
1. Too short
2. Too few top competitors
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Rodolfo Leoni wrote:I agree Stockfish should be allowed to partecipate.
Stockfish is allowed to participate. Last year it was even explicitly invited to participate. Someone volunteered to operate it.
Rodolfo Leoni

Post by Rodolfo Leoni »

hgm wrote:
Rodolfo Leoni wrote:I agree Stockfish should be allowed to partecipate.
Stockfish is allowed to participate. Last year it was even explicitly invited to participate. Someone volunteered to operate it.
I can't then understand the reason why it didn't participate. It was invited, a volunteer was available for operating, and I gues hardware wasn't a problem. It remembers me Fischer. It's StockFischer.
:lol:
F.S.I. Chess Teacher
Nordlandia

Post by Nordlandia »

WCCC is a big farce.
Thomas Lagershausen

Post by Thomas Lagershausen »

I am very, very grateful for the work of team Stockfish.

What this people are doing is the greatest gift in the world for all chessplayers.

As an chessenthusisast i don´t need a WCCC.

All i need is a project of chessprogramming like team Stockfish is doing.

Leave me alone with the marketing stuff of all these businesspeople.

Do cooperate projects like team Stockfish is doing and the world is a better place.

Thx for your attention.
TL