Quick estimate please

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Werewolf

Quick estimate please

Post by Werewolf »

Hi Guys,

I'm using asmfish (Nov 4th 2016) - the version based on Stockfish 8 I believe - in my Aquarium IDeA projects.

The latest version is Feb 21st 2017.

Can anyone make a rough estimate of the elo gain between the two versions on a single core at VLTC - 10 minutes per move? I know this is like guessing how many atoms are in a golf ball but...

Has there been much improvement? I've read there's not much difference.

Many thanks.

(the reason I'm asking this question is because it takes 4 hours + to change the versions over on different P.Cs networked for IDeA etc)
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Re: Quick estimate please

Post by Guenther »

Werewolf wrote:Hi Guys,

I'm using asmfish (Nov 4th 2016) - the version based on Stockfish 8 I believe - in my Aquarium IDeA projects.

The latest version is Feb 21st 2017.

Can anyone make a rough estimate of the elo gain between the two versions on a single core at VLTC - 10 minutes per move? I know this is like guessing how many atoms are in a golf ball but...

Has there been much improvement? I've read there's not much difference.

Many thanks.

(the reason I'm asking this question is because it takes 4 hours + to change the versions over on different P.Cs networked for IDeA etc)
The only available estimations are for extreme fast tc. Otherwise it would take months at least to generate useful data.

Here is an interesting comparison done by Stefan Pohl.
source: http://spcc.beepworld.de/index.htm

This shows a gain of around 15 rating points until some version in early January or late December and after this there seems to be stagnation.
(not very surprising - mostly code cleaning and simplifications in January)
RJN

Post by RJN »

One improvement of note for asmFish, made a few weeks ago, was for Syzygy, where DTZ was not always being probed once a DTZ position was reached.

Not sure how much elo that itself is worth, 5-10 maybe :?:
i7-5930K @4.5GHz, H100i Hydro Cooler, 64GB DDR4 Corsair Dominator Platinum @3000MHz, ASUS X99 Deluxe mboard, 1TB EVO 850 SSD
jpqy

Post by jpqy »

Here you can follow the change-log from asmFish:

https://github.com/lantonov/asmFish/wiki/Change-log

JP.
Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

Guenther wrote:
This shows a gain of around 15 rating points until some version in early January or late December and after this there seems to be stagnation.
(not very surprising - mostly code cleaning and simplifications in January)
Thanks, that explains a lot. Hopefully the elo will now start to rise