Computer Chess Film on Prime

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

chetday

Computer Chess Film on Prime

Post by chetday »

For those with Amazon Prime:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F4B4AMY

I just found this above a few minutes ago and haven't watched the film yet, but it looks good. Here's the Amazon page description:

Set over the course of a weekend tournament for chess software programmers circa 1980, COMPUTER CHESS transports viewers to a nostalgic moment when the contest between technology and the human spirit seemed a little more up for grabs. We get to know the eccentric geniuses possessed of the vision to teach a metal box to defeat man, literally, at his own game, laying the groundwork for artificial intelligence as we know it and will come to know it in the future.
RJN

Re: Computer Chess Film on Prime

Post by RJN »

If I recall, people involved with the making of that film were here some years ago asking for advice, or whatever....
i7-5930K @4.5GHz, H100i Hydro Cooler, 64GB DDR4 Corsair Dominator Platinum @3000MHz, ASUS X99 Deluxe mboard, 1TB EVO 850 SSD
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

RJN wrote:If I recall, people involved with the making of that film were here some years ago asking for advice, or whatever....
yes they were:

http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopi ... chess+film

I have to go watch it now, while the wife is away :shock:

edit: I assumed it was the same film, not there would be a lot of films about chess, computers and programmers
reflectionofpower

Post by reflectionofpower »

RJN wrote:If I recall, people involved with the making of that film were here some years ago asking for advice, or whatever....
And you'll see why when you watch the trailer and the movie. I am only watching the trailer and that right there tells me it's not so good. A person posted on IMDb,"This would have been better if it was a documentary!" and I totally agree with him. Are they documentaries out there on computer chess?

https://www.youtube.com/user/jessicafischerqueen/videos is an excellent channel for her self made docs on players.

I think if you was going to make one the best way would be to get good pics some footage if available and most of all personal interviews with well know people in the computer chess community. You would go all the way back to those still alive to the most recent. of course this would be a labor of love as the only people interested in it would be us.
"Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken." (Dune - 1984)

Lonnie
jswaff
Full name: James Swafford

Post by jswaff »

I started to watch this last night thinking it was going to have some real footage. Not at all what I expected... I couldn't get through more than 15 minutes of it.
reflectionofpower

Post by reflectionofpower »

jswaff wrote:I started to watch this last night thinking it was going to have some real footage. Not at all what I expected... I couldn't get through more than 15 minutes of it.
Not only that but people not involved in computer chess that watch this movie are going to think we're a bunch of socially inept geeks. What they don't know is that unless we told someone they would have never known that aspect of our lives.
"Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken." (Dune - 1984)

Lonnie
Henk

Post by Henk »

Be glad you did not watch my videos. Skipper quality or much worse.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGkJRC ... SmbMV07usg
rcmaddox
Full name: Robert C. Maddox

Post by rcmaddox »

reflectionofpower wrote:
jswaff wrote:I started to watch this last night thinking it was going to have some real footage. Not at all what I expected... I couldn't get through more than 15 minutes of it.
Not only that but people not involved in computer chess that watch this movie are going to think we're a bunch of socially inept geeks. <snip>
Boy, do we have them fooled! :)
gerold

Post by gerold »

I don't think they got much support from people here, maybe just a couple programmers talked to them If that is the same people i am thinking of.
Henk

Post by Henk »

gerold wrote:
I don't think they got much support from people here, maybe just a couple programmers talked to them If that is the same people i am thinking of.
Probably Marlon Brendo already dead or he wouldn't have anything to do with computer chess.