how to properly test the changes to the engine ?

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

MahmoudUthman

how to properly test the changes to the engine ?

Post by MahmoudUthman »

1-how many opponents to use ?
2-how much should the rating difference between the weakest and the strongest opponents be ?
3-how many different starting positions should I use ?
4-smallest sufficient time control ? and should I test at different time control or should a single fixed time control be enough ?
5-How many games to play ?
7-Is it okay to use concurrent games ?
6-anything else to consider ?
jdart

Re: how to properly test the changes to the engine ?

Post by jdart »

MahmoudUthman wrote:1-how many opponents to use ?
2-how much should the rating difference between the weakest and the strongest opponents be ?
I think 4-6 opponents is a reasonable number and they should be not too far away from your current rating.
3-how many different starting positions should I use ?
I use a large collection of 8-move PGN openings. I think these came from the Stockfish team originally.
4-smallest sufficient time control ? and should I test at different time control or should a single fixed time control be enough ?
I use 0:04+0.1 (game in 4 sec. + 0.1 sec increment). Note that many engines do not run reliably at this time control (they will lose on time). For this to the work the engine has to use a high-resolution timer.

Ideally you should also test at time controls that are closer to a realistic game speed, but that requires a lot of CPU tme.
5-How many games to play ?
This depends on how much accuracy you need. But generally measuring the effects of a small change requires tens of thousands of games. My standard test run is 36,000 games.
Yes, but IMO you should not have more concurrent CPU usage than you have physical cores.

--Jon
Daniel Anulliero

Post by Daniel Anulliero »

1-2 : I use 10 oponents not too far away from Isa in strenght
3: I use 100 diférents pgn opennings played twice (with black and white) So 200 games against each over
4 : TC 1 minute + 250 miliseconds so lot of time ok but I think using very fast time control is relevant if your engine can reach big depth (like arasan)
5 : so with 200 games and 10 oponents = 2000 games - I think you can only mesure 20-30 elo improvments with 2000 games but if your engine is in développement , you can win 30-40 elo at one time
7: I play one game at a time
6: be patient , have a solid methodology , and do a lot of backuPs
NOT LIKE ME
:wink:
Isa download :
ZirconiumX

Post by ZirconiumX »

1: I use self-play, so the only opponent is the currently strongest version of my program.
2: See above. Though sometimes I will run a verification match against a reasonably stronger opponent.
3: I use the winboard default_book.bin limited to 4 moves.
4: I play my games at 5 seconds plus 0.05 seconds a move. I know I should probably test my games at long time controls, but I do not have the resources for it.
5: I use something called SPRT, which is a mathematical formula that allows cutechess to stop the match when enough games have been run.
7: Concurrent games can and should be run, if only so you get a reasonably fast result. Though I'm not as strong as Arasan, I use running one less concurrent match than I have cores as a guideline.
6: I think for something like this, you have to place your faith in the test - don't finish the match before the test has completed, for example.
Some believe in the almighty dollar.

I believe in the almighty printf statement.
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

MahmoudUthman wrote:1-how many opponents to use ?
Collect as many engines as possible and select those with different style from your engine.
MahmoudUthman wrote: 2-how much should the rating difference between the weakest and the strongest opponents be ?
20 rating points.
MahmoudUthman wrote:3-how many different starting positions should I use ?
Start at 1000 positions.
MahmoudUthman wrote: 4-smallest sufficient time control ?
Test the scoring reliability of your engine with the computer your are testing. How?
run a match between engineA vs engineB where engineA is actually the same as engineB. Test at TC 30s + 100ms inc/move (with same opening suite): Can your get 50% after 1000 games? or close to 50%?
If you cannot get 50% or close to it, test it at TC 60s + 200ms inc/move and check the score. Increase it until you get 50% or close to it.
MahmoudUthman wrote: and should I test at different time control or should a single fixed time control be enough ?
Test it at 2 TC to determine if the changes scales with time.
MahmoudUthman wrote: 5-How many games to play ?
Depends on what you are trying to test for. For strength test, normally you need to use bayeselo or ordo tools and check the error margin. Or for a quick estimate, an engine that leads by +100 wins in a 1000 game test would be good.
Sven
Full name: Sven Schüle

Post by Sven »

jdart wrote:
Yes, but IMO you should not have more concurrent CPU usage than you have physical cores.
I use cutechess-cli but an older version of it, and there I get a lot of trouble when playing concurrent games (matches are stopped prematurely due to arising communication problems - playing one game at a time works fine). Is there a version of cutechess-cli that has a reliable support of concurrent games?
Adam Hair

Post by Adam Hair »

Sven Schüle wrote:
jdart wrote:
I use cutechess-cli but an older version of it, and there I get a lot of trouble when playing concurrent games (matches are stopped prematurely due to arising communication problems - playing one game at a time works fine). Is there a version of cutechess-cli that has a reliable support of concurrent games?
Cutechess-cli 0.6.0 works well on my 8 core Linux server with concurrency=6 even for super fast games. The current version of Cutechess-cli works well on my Windows laptop.
PK

Post by PK »

For UCU engines, LittleBlitzer is a decent tool. No problems with using several threads.
Sven
Full name: Sven Schüle

Post by Sven »

Adam Hair wrote:
Sven Schüle wrote:
jdart wrote:
Cutechess-cli 0.6.0 works well on my 8 core Linux server with concurrency=6 even for super fast games. The current version of Cutechess-cli works well on my Windows laptop.
Thanks. I think the version I use is 0.8.x (0.8.2 probably), and there is already a 0.9.x. I can give 0.6.0 a try but hmmmmm should I really use such an old version ...

Did you also test WB engines under Windows with it?
jdart

Post by jdart »

I don't actually use the concurrency feature. I just run a lot of processes.

--Jon