Scoutfish: powerful chess query tool

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

mcostalba

Scoutfish: powerful chess query tool

Post by mcostalba »

Are you tired of querying chess DB for player names, opening, ELO, specific position and other kind of trivial stuff?

Well, introducing Scoutfish, a tool to search very big chess databases in fraction of seconds with very powerful, flexible and chess knowledge related queries.

In case you have 2 minutes and you are interested, please get a look at the README here:

https://github.com/mcostalba/scoutfish
mar
Full name: Martin Sedlak

Re: Scoutfish: powerful chess query tool

Post by mar »

Very nice tool,

I like the concept of sequences and streaks, pass and also multithreaded queries.

Is it possible to query substring inside comments?
mcostalba

Post by mcostalba »

mar wrote:Very nice tool,

I like the concept of sequences and streaks, pass and also multithreaded queries.

Is it possible to query substring inside comments?
Thanks!

Indeed this tool, as a chess engine, is not intended to be exposed directly to the user, eventually it needs an external GUI or web UI to graphically compose the query (ideally by point and click) and later show the result in a easy form for the user to browse.

Regarding "substring inside comments" you mean variations? In this case, no, the PGN parser just follows the mainline.
mar

Post by mar »

mcostalba wrote:Thanks!

Indeed this tool, as a chess engine, is not intended to be exposed directly to the user, eventually it needs an external GUI or web UI to graphically compose the query (ideally by point and click) and later show the result in a easy form for the user to browse.

Regarding "substring inside comments" you mean variations? In this case, no, the PGN parser just follows the mainline.
No, I meant plain text search inside comments, like adjudication text (time forfeit),
but if it'd mean to complicate/slow down parsing then it's probably not worth the effort as I can use plain text search directly in PGN.
mar

Post by mar »

mar wrote:No, I meant plain text search inside comments, like adjudication text (time forfeit),
but if it'd mean to complicate/slow down parsing then it's probably not worth the effort as I can use plain text search directly in PGN.
EDIT: I missed that there's termination tag in game header...