GTX Titan video cards

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

ankan
Full name: Ankan Banerjee

Re: GTX Titan video cards

Post by ankan »

bhamadicharef wrote:Ankan ... could you please give us your expert GPU view on the following

1) does perft_gpu would run on a Tesla K80 ?
I haven't personally tried, but it should run. Tesla K80 is a dual-GPU card. It has 2x GK110 GPUs - each of them should be close to performance of a GTX 780 (or slightly slower as Workstation/Tesla cards have lower clocks than consumer cards).
bhamadicharef wrote: I think you are using some 3x Titan X GPU for perft14, from what I read on the forum.
That's right. For my perft(14) computation I used 3x TitanX (Pascal GP102) GPUs. The computation took slightly more than a week. The result is here: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ankan ... 4_run4.txt
bhamadicharef wrote: 2) estimate how long if would take for 8x Tesla K80 (in a Xeon-based 64-bit
server with 6-cores and 64 GB RAM) to do perft14 from initial position ? or
from unique(7) positions
Brahim @ Singapore
Your setup with 8x Tesla K80 has 16 GPUs. Each GK110 GPU is about 1/4th of GP102 for perft. Raw throughput wise your setup should be slightly faster than mine but scaling of my program is not perfect because part of hash table in device memory is not shared with other GPUs. I would expect it to take longer than what it took on my setup - but less than 2 weeks for perft14 from initial position.

For my program it's faster to compute perft(14) directly from start position than from the intermediate unique(7) records likely because I get better hash table utilization for shallow levels and most of unique(7) positions anyway fit in regular hash table for deeper levels.

Let me know if you are planning to run it. I will provide you with binaries with sizes of hash tables adjusted for your setup (currently they are hardcoded - I will tune them to utilize 64 GB RAM).
gaard
Full name: Martin W

Post by gaard »

Bitcoin is used all throughout the world by reputable businesses and customers alike and it's merit is unquestionable. What is your source for the extraordinary claim that it's almost always used for immoral purposes?
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

gaard wrote:Bitcoin is used all throughout the world by reputable businesses and customers alike and it's merit is unquestionable. What is your source for the extraordinary claim that it's almost always used for immoral purposes?
I'm not debating the merits of bitcoin but it's less than pristine reputation is probably based on the fact that Bitcoin was the only form of currency accepted on Silk Road, an anonymous marketplace that was only accessible over the TOR anonymous browsing network, and which was closed by the FBI in October 2013. Silk Road was commonly used to sell goods that are illegal in many countries, including narcotics.
gaard
Full name: Martin W

Post by gaard »

I don't doubt it but that doesn't speak to the merits (which I am aware you are not discussing) of Bitcoin at all only that it's useful for anonymous online transactions. The value of all bitcoins in existence wouldn't amount to a fraction of a fraction of all illegal goods that are bought and sold using the USD which makes this line of reasoning less than meaningful nor does it say anything about the veracity of the claim that it's "almost always used for immoral purposes".
bhamadicharef

Post by bhamadicharef »

Ankan ... what about an estimate if run on server with 2x Intel® Xeon® Platinum 8170 Processor and 192 GB RAM with 4x Tesla P100 16GB to do perft14 from initial position ?
Brahim HAMADICHAREF
Singapore
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

gaard wrote:Bitcoin is used all throughout the world by reputable businesses and customers alike and it's merit is unquestionable. What is your source for the extraordinary claim that it's almost always used for immoral purposes?
It is well known, as any web search will demonstrate.
For instance:
https://www.cnbc.com/video/2013/10/24/i ... inals.html
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
ankan
Full name: Ankan Banerjee

Post by ankan »

bhamadicharef wrote:Ankan ... what about an estimate if run on server with 2x Intel® Xeon® Platinum 8170 Processor and 192 GB RAM with 4x Tesla P100 16GB to do perft14 from initial position ?
It should take about a week.
I computed Perft(14) on a system with 3xTitan Xp and it took about 10 days. (see http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopi ... 3e1d0db176)
Milos

Post by Milos »

Dann Corbit wrote:It is well known, as any web search will demonstrate.
For instance:
That's just plain ridiculous. The guy is a clown which is clearly demonstrated by the reporters interviewing him. Which currency in the world is not the currency of criminals??? The criminal activity financed by USD is larger than the one financed by bitcoin for multiple orders of magnitude.
The only problem with bitcoint is that governments are not in control of printing press so they can't create it whenever they please. And ofc that its value will go up no matter what they do to try to prevent it.
Leo
Full name: Leo Anger

Post by Leo »

daniel71 wrote:Does using GTX Titan video cards process any chess instructions that could be useful in chess? I may use 2x GTX 1080 watercooled cards or just a single card, it depends on what advice I get tonight! NewEgg has a GTX 1080 card in stock today and need to jump on it before they are gone. So a Titan vs GTX 1080 will Cuda cores benifit a 2x Xeon workstation? Thanks Daniel
I found some information on that topic a few years ago.

"This (can we use CUDA, PS3, etc.) is rapidly becoming a FAQ. To sum it up: Probably not, since
1. Floating-point performance is not very relevant for a chess engine, which works a lot more on bit-fiddling, branches and random memory access.
2. The type of parallelism that is the heart of the massive performance you can get from such solutions is less useful for a chess engine, where there are many interdependencies between the calculations."
Advanced Micro Devices fan.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Milos wrote:
Dann Corbit wrote:It is well known, as any web search will demonstrate.
For instance:
That's just plain ridiculous. The guy is a clown which is clearly demonstrated by the reporters interviewing him. Which currency in the world is not the currency of criminals??? The criminal activity financed by USD is larger than the one financed by bitcoin for multiple orders of magnitude.
The only problem with bitcoint is that governments are not in control of printing press so they can't create it whenever they please. And ofc that its value will go up no matter what they do to try to prevent it.
The only value add of bitcoin over any other type of transaction is:
1. It removes the bank from the operation
2. It makes the source fairly hard to trace
3. It makes the target fairly hard to trace

Who would that appeal to?

The main audience of bitcoin and similar efforts is criminals. Why else would you do a transaction that way?
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.