Squash anyone?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Dann Corbit

Squash anyone?

Post by Dann Corbit »

Not the game. The compressor.

Code:
https://github.com/quixdb

Benchmark web site:
https://quixdb.github.io/squash-benchmark/

I have found that the compression library can be compiled for Windows.
There are a huge number of available compressors.

Some (such as LZ4 HC) compress very slowly but get a very good compression ratio and decompress with blazing speed.

That sort of thing is IDEAL for chess endgame database systems. Therefore, I was thinking that something like Miguel's system could be modified to try every algorithm in the set and find out the collection that work best.
Perhaps the EGTB files could be tagged with a 3 digit hexadecimal file extension. That way, we could instantly recognize which compressor was in use.

I was thinking about it this way:

If we can get 15% better compression (perhaps along with much faster decompression) then multiply that savings among the thousands of potential machine that store the tablebase files. It could save a petabyte at some point in time.

Also, having such a large choice of possibilities would make it possible to locate a small set of ideal choices by simply testing them to see which method compresses best, etc.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
mar
Full name: Martin Sedlak

Re: Squash anyone?

Post by mar »

Well, from the readme:

Code: Select all

Squash is an abstraction library which provides a single API to access
many compression libraries, allowing applications a great deal of
flexibility when choosing a compression algorithm, or allowing a
choice between several of them.
So it seems to me it's a wrapper allowing you to choose from many external codecs
Question is why would one want to drag in extra dependency (GTB already has such abstraction if I'm not mistaken)

LZ4 decompresses blazingly fast (there is a reason why it's used in some OSes for realtime disk compression), but it comes at a price: compression ratio is worse than say zlib (LZ4 is plain LZ coder, no entropy coding)
Now GTB uses LZMA as default, it decompresses relatively fast but still much slower than LZ4 (and also slower than zlib = or PK's (RIP) inflate if you want).
I'm not sure but I think (I'm sure Ronald will correct me if this claim is wrong) that Syzygy uses entropy coding only (note: JPEG/Vorbis also don't use LZ)
The crucial thing for LZ compressor is matching; you can improve a lot by doing lazy matching (delaying the match because you could find a better one later)
or even "optimal parsing" which tries all possible matches. Of course the latter is VERY slow.
But 7zip does this and it can produce deflated zip files ~10% smaller than zlib (which does lazy matching), while you can still decompress it with any compliant decompressor.

So it's a tradeoff: smaller size or faster decompression, if IO is a bottleneck then smaller is better; but no matter what decompression is never free
Zenmastur

Post by Zenmastur »

I think the best encoder would be one that is tailored specifically to EGTB's.

IIRC you find a lot of long runs of identical data in EGTBs so RLE would probably find it way into the mix integrated into a standard entropy encoder.

While absolute maximum compression is nice to have, decompression speed, block size, and memory utilization are probably more important for a chess program.

Regards,

Forrest
Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you.....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
syzygy

Post by syzygy »

Dann Corbit wrote:Some (such as LZ4 HC) compress very slowly but get a very good compression ratio and decompress with blazing speed.

That sort of thing is IDEAL for chess endgame database systems.
But many of these compression algorithms only work well with very large block sizes, which is not ideal for endgame databases that need to be probed during the search.

Another thing is that when storing a chess endgame database, it is possible to leave out a lot of information that can be quickly recomputed. A dedicated compression algorithm can make better use of this fact than a general purpose compressor.
syzygy

Post by syzygy »

mar wrote:I'm not sure but I think (I'm sure Ronald will correct me if this claim is wrong) that Syzygy uses entropy coding only (note: JPEG/Vorbis also don't use LZ)
It does use a dictionary, but it is a static dictionary for the whole table. On top of that I use Huffman coding.

LZ usually starts with an empty dictionary that is constructed as a block is being compressed, which means that it does not work well with small block sizes.

My dictionary compression is based on Re-Pair compression described in this paper by Larsson and Moffat. I don't use the algorithm they describe for finding pairs as it would be too memory intensive.

The basic idea of Re-Pair is to iteratively replace frequently recurring pairs of consecutive symbols with new symbols. This leads to a sort of generalised RLE.
mar

Post by mar »

I see, thanks for the link. The idea is fairly simple - I think it should be actually better than just RLE which is limited to sequential runs.

I haven't read the paper thorougly yet but my guess
is one needs some criteria to stop pairing, most certainly if a pair has frequency exactly one but probably sooner.

I saw the use of static dictionaries elsewhere, I think on Charles Bloom's blog.
Their motivation was a bit different though, to save memory.

LZ requires at least as many bytes as dictionary size for both compression and decompression

but considering tens of thousands of channels used for realtime (de)compression - that would require a tons of RAM,

while a pre-computed static dictionary (for typical data transferred) needs to store the dictionary only once

I think static dictionaries sort of resemble vector quantization, except they are lossless

A bit of OT but I find this topic quite interesting:
I experimented a bit some time ago with Burrows-Wheeler transform and move-to-front before deflating, but to my surprise the result was always worse than plain deflate, even on text files
Even more stunning that bzip2 doesn't use LZ and can still compress better than deflate (especially on text files)
While reordering/transforms don't help with plain entropy coding, they can help LZ.
Some executable compressors for example convert relative x86 jumps/calls to absolute addresses to improve compression ratio and so on
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

mar wrote:Well, from the readme:

Code: Select all

Squash is an abstraction library which provides a single API to access
many compression libraries, allowing applications a great deal of
flexibility when choosing a compression algorithm, or allowing a
choice between several of them.
So it seems to me it's a wrapper allowing you to choose from many external codecs
Question is why would one want to drag in extra dependency (GTB already has such abstraction if I'm not mistaken)

LZ4 decompresses blazingly fast (there is a reason why it's used in some OSes for realtime disk compression), but it comes at a price: compression ratio is worse than say zlib (LZ4 is plain LZ coder, no entropy coding)
Now GTB uses LZMA as default, it decompresses relatively fast but still much slower than LZ4 (and also slower than zlib = or PK's (RIP) inflate if you want).
I'm not sure but I think (I'm sure Ronald will correct me if this claim is wrong) that Syzygy uses entropy coding only (note: JPEG/Vorbis also don't use LZ)
The crucial thing for LZ compressor is matching; you can improve a lot by doing lazy matching (delaying the match because you could find a better one later)
or even "optimal parsing" which tries all possible matches. Of course the latter is VERY slow.
But 7zip does this and it can produce deflated zip files ~10% smaller than zlib (which does lazy matching), while you can still decompress it with any compliant decompressor.

So it's a tradeoff: smaller size or faster decompression, if IO is a bottleneck then smaller is better; but no matter what decompression is never free
The HC version of Lz4 also has excellent compression and decompresses very fast.

I do not know that it will work well with chess. But it seems to me that it is worth an experiment.

In the case of Gaviota GTB files, they compressor and decompressor are replaceable. That is why I suggested that file format.

The thing that is interesting about it is the abstraction layer. Since it is already built, it seems to me it would be simple enough to bolt it on and then try every compressor in the book, one at a time.

I guess that some of them may have nice properties.

It is also true that a compressor tailored for chess endgame database files may take special advantage both of the nature of the data and the chosen algorithms.

But I suspect that in creating chess database files, not every type of compression was actually tested. It is possible that some untried scheme will work exceptionally well.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
Cardoso
Full name: Alvaro Cardoso

Post by Cardoso »

syzygy wrote:
Dann Corbit wrote:Some (such as LZ4 HC) compress very slowly but get a very good compression ratio and decompress with blazing speed.

That sort of thing is IDEAL for chess endgame database systems.
But many of these compression algorithms only work well with very large block sizes, which is not ideal for endgame databases that need to be probed during the search.

Another thing is that when storing a chess endgame database, it is possible to leave out a lot of information that can be quickly recomputed. A dedicated compression algorithm can make better use of this fact than a general purpose compressor.
Ronald,
could you please provide the final compression ratio for the Syzygy TBs?
Just to have an idea of the compression efficiency of your algorithm.
Also could you please elaborate on how your compression algorithm can make better use of leaving out information that can be quickly recomputed?
My WDL checkers database is compressed with a RLE scheme.
In my DTM checkers database I use another compressor.
Like you I prefer to decompress until I find the key index every time I probe.
I use a very fast and pure LZ decompressor (no Huffman), with 4K block sizes for fast decompression.
But I'm having poor compression ratio: 12% of the uncompressed size.
I set as "Don't Cares" positions with captures for the side to move and for the side not to move.
If your compression ratio is better then I'm thinking in doing something like you are doing. At this precise moment I'm compressing my 8man DTM checkers database. The uncompressed size is about 460GB, I'm expecting about 60GB for the compressed size, now this is a bit poor as a compression ratio. So could you please explain how you compression algorithm takes advantage of information easily recomputed?

best regards,
Alvaro
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

LZ4HC gets better compression and still decompresses very fast.
mar

Post by mar »

Cardoso wrote:I use a very fast and pure LZ decompressor (no Huffman), with 4K block sizes for fast decompression.
But I'm having poor compression ratio: 12% of the uncompressed size.
AFAIK Ronald uses re-pair plus Huffman.

Anyway, LZ has problems with small blocks, it needs time to warm up.
So first thing to try is to double block size and see how much it improves the ratio.
Next thing (unless you already do) is to use lazy matching (assuming you use your own LZ compressor)
- i.e. whenever you find a match, it's possible that you find a longer match at next position.