Strange beaviour of WyldChess under WinBoard

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

mkchan

Re: Strange beaviour of WyldChess under WinBoard

Post by mkchan »

I think it was because WyldChess(WB mode) replies to any unrecognized command with "Illegal move: <unrecognized input>"
I changed it to "ERROR (unsupported): <unrecognized input>" to comply with http://www.open-aurec.com/wbforum/WinBo ... ntf.html#9 . Tested the changes, it seems to work in xboard now.

Still not making a distinction between an illegal move and an unrecognized command, it should be fine according to the site

Will upload WyldChess 1.1 with the change and some elo gain soon
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

mkchan wrote:Still not making a distinction between an illegal move and an unrecognized command, it should be fine according to the site

Will upload WyldChess 1.1 with the change and some elo gain soon
Actually that is not fine for users that would play with legality testing off. (You might of course argue they should not do that.) An "Illegal move" command would make the GUI take the move that the engine refused back, in human-engine mode, so the GUI and engine stay in phase; "Error" would not do that.

Recommended is to use the usermove feature; then you will always know what are moves and what not. Even without it it is not so difficult, though: if the second character is a digit (or an @ sign if you also do piece drops), it is a move, otherwise a command keyword.
mkchan

Post by mkchan »

Thanks for confirming that! I'll probably shift to the usermove feature then