The TCEC...

Discussion of computer chess matches and engine tournaments.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Carotino

The TCEC...

Post by Carotino »

Events as the TCEC should instead be an event for "sports", fun and entertainment, in fact the fans follow them for these reasons. To measure the engine's power relations there are the various rankings - far more reliable, statistically - of the CCRL, the IPON and CEGT.

The organizers of the TCEC have done, however, everything to turn it into deadly boring: excessively long times of reflection, opening variations worthy of a hobo, no expert has commented in a worthy manner the games... And more, and more, and more. :cry:

Which has been, therefore, the purpose of this event? To bore the audience to death? To provoke an attack of bile? A spoil our liver?

:evil:
Roberto
Lyudmil Tsvetkov

Re: The TCEC...

Post by Lyudmil Tsvetkov »

Carotino wrote:Events as the TCEC should instead be an event for "sports", fun and entertainment, in fact the fans follow them for these reasons. To measure the engine's power relations there are the various rankings - far more reliable, statistically - of the CCRL, the IPON and CEGT.

The organizers of the TCEC have done, however, everything to turn it into deadly boring: excessively long times of reflection, opening variations worthy of a hobo, no expert has commented in a worthy manner the games... And more, and more, and more. :cry:

Which has been, therefore, the purpose of this event? To bore the audience to death? To provoke an attack of bile? A spoil our liver?

un corno.

la TCEC non e noisosa, invece smagliante.

i motori pero, sono debolissimi.

che faremo senza questa competizione?

non e possibile restare senza TCEC.
Carotino

Post by Carotino »

:D :D :D

Lyudmil, your Italian is certainly better than my English. :)
Roberto
velmarin

Post by velmarin »

Carotino wrote::D :D :D

The translator went berserk. :D

Roberto, you are right, a too long TCEC, lost interest, and now coincide with the Carlsen-karjakin, is too boring. :?
mwyoung

Post by mwyoung »

Carotino wrote:Events as the TCEC should instead be an event for "sports", fun and entertainment, in fact the fans follow them for these reasons. To measure the engine's power relations there are the various rankings - far more reliable, statistically - of the CCRL, the IPON and CEGT.

The purpose of TCEC is entertainment. That is why they use "opening variations worthy of a hobo". This is to force more wins in the tournament. It is not very entertaining to watch a tournament full of draws.

Most of the confusion around the purpose of the TCEC tournament has more to do with the audience and the programmers claims. Then what the TCEC tournament organizers are saying.
"The worst thing that can happen to a forum is a running wild attacking moderator(HGM) who is not corrected by the community." - Ed Schröder
But my words like silent raindrops fell. And echoed in the wells of silence.
APassionForCriminalJustic

Post by APassionForCriminalJustic »

You are pathetic man. In fact your comments are so emphatically embarrassing that it hardly deserves a response. Variations "worthy" of a hobo? You are the definition of what sad is; what an offensive slang term to use. Maybe mommy forget to give you your milk this morning. WA, WA, WA. If you don't like the tournament then don't watch it. The openings are fantastic - and it is certainly the last thing from a boringly-dry Superfinal.

Actually rating lists have one COMMON problem that, I believe, TCEC helps with. Rating lists such as CEGT, CCRL, and IPON are all mostly blitz and rapid on WEAK hardware. TCEC provides a tournament that is coherently only VLTC games. This not only means better quality match play - but it also means that wins are even more difficult to come by. In my opinion, 100 games at VLTC are certainly more reliable than 100 games at blitz and rapid. VLTC matches are more meaningful, and they are much more difficult to win for engines. So while you make that overused argument that TCEC fails to prove which engines are the strongest in the world, I will respectively disagree. The champion of TCEC earns its title, and should be arguably considered the strongest engine available at VLTC - and with that hardware.
whereagles

Post by whereagles »

mwyoung wrote:It is not very entertaining to watch a tournament full of draws.
Which is more likely to happen if we let engines on their own from move 1. Not to mention the flurry of french exchanges and QGD that would come out of it, as we checked a couple of seasons ago.

TCEC is, for practical purposes, the best internet chess engine broadcast at the moment.
Carotino

Post by Carotino »

Adam, your mama did not teach you education? Why do you insult me?
Well, we fly over the peasants and talking about chess.

This is the variant used in the last game:

1.e4 e5 2Nc3 Nf6 3.Bc4 Nxe4 4.Qh5 Nd6 5.Bb3 Nc6? 6.Nb5! g6 7.Qf3 f5? 8.Qd5 Qf6 9.Nxc7+ Kd8 10.Nxa8 b6 11.Qf3 Bb7 12.h4 Bh6? 13.d3 f4?

Of course, Black (Houdini) lost the game.What sense does this thing?
Roberto
Lyudmil Tsvetkov

velmarin wrote:
Carotino wrote::D :D :D

The translator went berserk. :D

Roberto, you are right, a too long TCEC, lost interest, and now coincide with the Carlsen-karjakin, is too boring. :?
what is an online translator, never used one.

is it that thing that issues an output even worse that current top engines' output? (too simple code, you know)
Lyudmil Tsvetkov

Carotino wrote:Adam, your mama did not teach you education? Why do you insult me?
Well, we fly over the peasants and talking about chess.

This is the variant used in the last game:

1.e4 e5 2Nc3 Nf6 3.Bc4 Nxe4 4.Qh5 Nd6 5.Bb3 Nc6? 6.Nb5! g6 7.Qf3 f5? 8.Qd5 Qf6 9.Nxc7+ Kd8 10.Nxa8 b6 11.Qf3 Bb7 12.h4 Bh6? 13.d3 f4?

Of course, Black (Houdini) lost the game.What sense does this thing?
rigth, I agree here; that line gets you nowhere, score larger than supposed win threshold for both engines, all important gameplay decisions already taken.

still, it's good engines do not understand that :)