What about Gull?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Ozymandias

What about Gull?

Post by Ozymandias »

5 of the top 6 engines have been released (or will soon be) in the short span of time of 16 days, something unprecedented:

* Stockfish 8 : November 01, 2016
* Houdini 5: November 09, 2016
* Komodo 10.2: October 29, 2016
* Deep Shredder 13: October 30, 2016
* Fire 5: November 14, 2016

The only one missing is Gull. I know the main developer quitted some time ago, but the project is open source and there are those who are working on it. The problem is, there doesn't seem to be much coordination among them. Were they to join efforts, I'm sure some noticeable improvement would already be out there. As it is, I'm not sure that's the case.
JJJ

Re: What about Gull?

Post by JJJ »

The real missing one is Hiarc :)
Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias »

I don't think Hiarcs will be able to get up there. Mark's attention is divided, and that translates into smaller ELO gains.

If I'd have to bet on any other engine, to join that group in the foreseeable future, I'd say that's Andscacs.
FriedmannC

Post by FriedmannC »

Rybka 5 or Fritz 16 8-)
Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias »

That would be an even bigger surprise to me, than H5 being a reality.
Frank Quisinsky
Full name: Frank Quisinsky

Re: Fire 5 ... Nov. 14th, 2016

Post by Frank Quisinsky »

Fire 5

11/14/2016
deeper search
several new eval clauses
pst, eval, and search parameters fine tuned via SPSA
UCI contempt parameter added
Syszygy 50-move rule UCI parameter added
chess960 support added
large increase in playing strength

Yes, can be see on Fire site under:
http://chesslogik.wixsite.com/fire/history

Oh man, I changed daily my site ... in times my list ended one after another.

So I must delete other engines in my ToDo list or I can't test the TOPs. Must do that because Fire is for me one of the most important engines because Norman do a lot for computer chess.

OK, if Fire available Nov. 14th, 2016 I will test it directly after Houdini 5 around Nov. 16th, 2016. Stockfish 8 can wait (in my list is a version 40 days older as Version 8 ... so the improvements will be not very big).

Go Norman go ...
Time for Fire on the board!

And ...
THANKS for the Contempt parameter.
So Fire can start with C15 ... nice!
15-20 Elo more!

Best
Frank
Frank Quisinsky
Full name: Frank Quisinsky

Re: Fire 5 ... Nov. 14th, 2016

Post by Frank Quisinsky »

Hm,

I can reduce the opponents ... from 50 to 41 and have 2.000 games. 2.000 games are fully enough ... normely after 1.200 games not bigger jumpings to see.

This can solved my Problem and all engines can be test undo December 22th, 2016 (absolutely the last day).

:-)

A little bit work on my page only.
headache ...

So many updates in view days.

On the other hand a good time for others to start a complete new rating list. It's more easy as to updating existing things.

A great time for computer chess ... and I hope of many other updates to the end of the year.

Protector ...
Cheng ...
Deuterium ...
Dirty ...
Hiarcs ...
Junior ...

Many interesting engines longer time not updated.

Biggest wish is Senpai!
I am sure Fabian's baby is today also 300 Elo stronger. This can be the biggest sensation these days.

Or the Gandalf or Ruffian programmer say to us ... hello People ...
Here is ...

I am so stupid ... (secret information).

Best
Frank
basil00

Post by basil00 »

Ozymandias wrote:The only one missing is Gull.
Recently LazySMP was added to Gullzygy, see here: https://github.com/basil00/Gull.
This translated to a huge elo gain (+60) on the Linux version, but less so for Windows -- although it has not been properly tested yet.
The problem is, there doesn't seem to be much coordination among them.
True, and also development is stop-start, currently stopped again.
Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias »

Yes, I see some development there, but without much indication of what those technical changes means, in practice. The last Gull I used was the first one you made for Windows, with 6-men syzygy support.

If development was more "centralised", I'm sure it would get widely tested and used.
Henrik Dinesen

Post by Henrik Dinesen »

Ozymandias wrote:I don't think Hiarcs will be able to get up there. Mark's attention is divided, and that translates into smaller ELO gains.

If I'd have to bet on any other engine, to join that group in the foreseeable future, I'd say that's Andscacs.
If the only interest in chess engines was their overall strength I would have felt poor long ago. Certain engines posess something special to of us who enjoys them as partners for analysis or opponents. HIARCS has a special meaning to some us not only related to rating. Sure, older engines may mean something to some of us that are merely emotional. And the world where you use the engines for analysis is surely different than the world where it's a rating-race. Nothing bad said about either. The combination might be a triump for all.
Henrik