command line engine match?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

zenpawn

command line engine match?

Post by zenpawn »

Is there a command line program (or some switch I'm missing in winboard) to have two winboard (or UCI) engines run against each other and report the result?

I tried /fcp and /scp with winboard, but that just brings up the GUI and waits on a human to start the game.

I'm asking as I'd like to try CLOP tuning.

Thanks,
-Erin
brianr

Re: command line engine match?

Post by brianr »

CLOP has its own GUI and it runs just fine (but takes a very long time)

If you actually want to use Winboard, see the 'noGUI' option
zenpawn

Post by zenpawn »

brianr wrote:CLOP has its own GUI and it runs just fine (but takes a very long time)
I did see that, but I thought it was just showing the results, that you still needed to implement a program to return W, L, or D. You're saying there's a way to inform this GUI about the engines to run a game?
brianr wrote:If you actually want to use Winboard, see the 'noGUI' option
Will check that out. Thanks.
Evert

Post by Evert »

zenpawn wrote:Is there a command line program (or some switch I'm missing in winboard) to have two winboard (or UCI) engines run against each other and report the result?

I tried /fcp and /scp with winboard, but that just brings up the GUI and waits on a human to start the game.

I'm asking as I'd like to try CLOP tuning.
You want the "-mg X" option, which plays X games and reports the results.
There's also cutechess-cli.
zenpawn

Post by zenpawn »

Evert wrote: You want the "-mg X" option, which plays X games and reports the results.
Thanks. So, for this application, I would use -mg 1 and -noGUI (which just minimizes it). Unfortunately, the result is reported via a dialog window rather than stdout.
jdart

Post by jdart »

If you add -cp to the command line it will skip the initial mode dialog. But if I remember right CLOP xomes with a sample python script to run matches and I thougjt that used cutechess-cli.

However, I don't recommend CLOP for tuning. I have had pooe results from it and it can take a long time to converge.

--Jon
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

zenpawn wrote:
Evert wrote: You want the "-mg X" option, which plays X games and reports the results.
Thanks. So, for this application, I would use -mg 1 and -noGUI (which just minimizes it). Unfortunately, the result is reported via a dialog window rather than stdout.
I would use a batch file and add a line which lets hgtblb spit out a result table each x games and let it open by an editor.
I did similar things since long, but I did not add the line for the result in the game batch directly,
but instead created another batch which I just executed when I wanted to see the current result/standing.

Hgtblb is an util which creates 2 files from reading a pgn file.
A 's' and a 'x' file (appended to a text file named the same as the given pgn file.)
One contains a table and a few stats and the other all results. This is also from HGM and delivered with WB IIRC.

Example with my editor: (with the joker '*' it opens both new files)

Code: Select all

hgtblb XYZ.pgn
start c:\ultraedit\uedit32.exe "XYZ*.txt"
exit

name                       perc.  pnt games  Buchh    S-B

1. Matilde_261                 56%  78.5 /140  (8610.0, 4827.8)
 2. Pigeon_136-64               44%  61.5 /140  (10990.0, 4827.8)

Cross table, sorted by score percentage, Buchholz, SB

Matilde_261        Pigeon_136-64     
                              ################## 110=101111111100=0
                              ################## 0==10=1==1==00=01=
                              ################## =011011=00101=0010
 1. Matilde_261               ################## ==0==1111==1111111
                              ################## 01011110=010011=11
                              ################## =010011=11000=1011
                              ################## 01=1=0==101=011010
                              ################## 01=001=00010=1       56%  78.5 (8610.0, 4827.8)

001=010000000011=1 ##################
                              1==01=0==0==11=10= ##################
                              =100100=11010=1101 ##################
 2. Pigeon_136-64             ==1==0000==0000000 ##################
                              10100001=101100=00 ##################
                              =101100=00111=0100 ##################
                              10=0=1==010=100101 ##################
                              10=110=11101=0     ##################   44%  61.5 (10990.0, 4827.8)
zenpawn

Post by zenpawn »

Guenther wrote: I would use a batch file and add a line which lets hgtblb spit out a result table each x games and let it open by an editor.
Definitely planning a batch file, just need a way to launch the game and gather the result to return a simple W, L, D for CLOP. Are you using cutechess-cli to kick off the games as recommended by Jon Dart?
zenpawn

Post by zenpawn »

jdart wrote:If you add -cp to the command line it will skip the initial mode dialog. But if I remember right CLOP xomes with a sample python script to run matches and I thougjt that used cutechess-cli.
It comes with an example script, but I'm not seeing where it actually causes a game to be played.
jdart wrote: However, I don't recommend CLOP for tuning. I have had pooe results from it and it can take a long time to converge.
Thanks, I've read similar and have been quietly rooting on the Python script attempts at genericizing Texel tuning for any engine: http://talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=61856
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

zenpawn wrote:
Guenther wrote: I would use a batch file and add a line which lets hgtblb spit out a result table each x games and let it open by an editor.
Definitely planning a batch file, just need a way to launch the game and gather the result to return a simple W, L, D for CLOP. Are you using cutechess-cli to kick off the games as recommended by Jon Dart?
I did not see the clop part because I answered to something later in this thread about WB, but for clop it seems there are already scripts and those all assume cutechess-cli.