Cute Chess 0.9.3 released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

ilari

Re: Cute Chess 0.9.3 released

Post by ilari »

PaulieD wrote:I have attempted 2 tournaments at SF STC (10+.1 secs)
with asmFish 160916,SF7,Komodo 10.1, and Houdini 4.

Total of 1000 games against each opponent for a total of 3000 for the match, concurrency is 3.

It has crashed twice. Also the results for asmFish were far below what I get when I use cutechess-cli 0.6.1 with CuGen.
The bug causing crashes is probably the same one we discussed with Ferdy. I'm planning to release a fix tomorrow.

Also, at a very short time control Cute Chess GUI will use a lot more of your CPU than cutechess-cli does. So you pretty much have to leave one core for the GUI with such time controls. Cutechess-cli is still the better tool for ultra-fast engine testing because it's so lightweight.
ilari

Post by ilari »

Andres Valverde wrote:Thanks for the upgrade!

I'm starting to use the Linux versión and missing the way of saving TOURNEYS. I have to set up from the scracht every time
Resuming stopped tournaments is a planned feature. Currently you of course save the PGN games and you can set your favorite tournament options in the "Tools -> Settings" menu.
ilari

Post by ilari »

pedrox wrote:You can use the file "engines.json" of previous versions to use the engines in the new GUI?
Yes, Cute Chess GUI and cutechess-cli use the same engines.json file. You can find the file somewhere in your AppData folder in Windows (I don't remember the specific location). On Linux the file is in ~/.config/cutechess/ folder.
Engin
Full name: Engin Üstün

Post by Engin »

would be also great to implement the tournament type swiss too !
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

ilari wrote:
PaulieD wrote:I have attempted 2 tournaments at SF STC (10+.1 secs)
with asmFish 160916,SF7,Komodo 10.1, and Houdini 4.

Total of 1000 games against each opponent for a total of 3000 for the match, concurrency is 3.

It has crashed twice. Also the results for asmFish were far below what I get when I use cutechess-cli 0.6.1 with CuGen.
The bug causing crashes is probably the same one we discussed with Ferdy. I'm planning to release a fix tomorrow.

Also, at a very short time control Cute Chess GUI will use a lot more of your CPU than cutechess-cli does. So you pretty much have to leave one core for the GUI with such time controls. Cutechess-cli is still the better tool for ultra-fast engine testing because it's so lightweight.
I have seen,

Code: Select all

gui: fix a use-after-free bug
Could you create a windows installer in advance so we can try this?
ilari

Post by ilari »

Ferdy wrote:I have seen,

gui: fix a use-after-free bug
Could you create a windows installer in advance so we can try this?
I have a really intensive Crazyhouse test with tc=1 and concurrency=4 running at home. If the crash doesn't happen any more, I'll do a new release.
Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

Hi,

I've never used Cutechess before. Can it run multiple matches in parallel for systems with lots of cores?

If so, how?

Thanks.
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

Werewolf wrote:Hi,

I've never used Cutechess before. Can it run multiple matches in parallel for systems with lots of cores?

If so, how?

Thanks.
Yes. Just use the concurrency option. The number is the count of simultaneous games played. It is suggested to leave one core/thread for os/other tasks.

=> Tools => Settings => Tournament => 'Maximum number of concurrent games:' [$]
ilari

Post by ilari »

Werewolf wrote:Hi,

If so, how?

Thanks.
Multiple concurrent tournaments aren't possible at the moment, but as Guenther said, multiple concurrent games in a single tournament can be played. You can even adjust the setting live during a tournament.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

ilari wrote:Multiple concurrent tournaments aren't possible at the moment, ...
Can't you simply do that by starting multiple instance of Cute-chess,one for each tournament? If so, wouldn't that always be preferable over trying to do everything with a single instance?