opening book standards

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

jefk
Full name: Jef Kaan

opening book standards

Post by jefk »

so we now seem to have this cerebelum;just another book
chess is a draw\
jefk

Re: opening book standards

Post by jefk »

[quote="jefk"]so we now seem to have this cerebelum;just another book
chess is a draw\[/quote]

hm this was a bit provocative and sofar no reactions;
anyway, from Ed Schroders work it seems that
polyglot can be a suitable standard to avoid
all these different engine books, and also getting
it out of the GUI's which often are different (the .ctg
'standard' of Chessbase is not ideal i think);
problem might be Polyglot does not seem
to be maintained anymore, apparently it
was work by Michel vd Bergh (?)
best regards
jef
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Polyglot doesn't really have to be maintained, because it is already close to perfect. The only reasons I ever had to change it were for supporting new features of WB protocol, such as move exclusion and reporting tablebase hits with the thinking output.

Besides, the book format is now leading an independent life from the adapter. You don't need Polyglot to create or use Polyglot books. Someother GUIs also support Polyglot books, and XBoard can also be used to create or edit such books.
jefk

Post by jefk »

[quote="hgm"] Someother GUIs also support Polyglot books, [/quote]

ok thx for the clarification; Nb couple of years
ago there was a thread here about Polyglot
http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopi ... highlight=
apparenly Joost Buijs also did some work on it

jef
hgm

Post by hgm »

It sounds like he just compiled the unmodified source for a 64-bit architecture.
Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias »

him wrote:It sounds like he just compiled the unmodified source for a 64-bit architecture.
Yes, he said he wanted to make a true 64 bit version of Polyglot, but he lost interest in the endeavour.
hgm

Post by hgm »

Not sure what "true" means here. It seems to me that either a program is 64-bit or it isn't. For the adapter function there would be zero advantage in having a 64-bit Windows version, just the disadvantage that it would not run on 32-bit machines (while all Windows support 32-bit executables). For the book-building functions (which are of no interest to me) the 32-bit architecture limits the booksize, however.

Under Linux Polyglot automatically compiles to the architecture you are on.
Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias »

True 64 bit, means that all the parts of the code operate as a 64 bit program, and not 32 or 16, like it happens even if you compile for 64. All of this, of course, relative to the bookmaking part of the program, which is the one that benefits from the leap.
jefk

Post by jefk »

[quote="Ozymandias"]True 64 bit, means that all the parts of the code operate as a 64 bit program, and not 32 or 16, like it happens even if you compile for 64. All of this, of course, relative to the bookmaking part of the program, which is the one that benefits from the leap.[/quote]

ok well 64 or 32 or whatever, if Polygot would become a new standard , there still are some things which are unclear i think; in Winboard i could see this free 1337 polyglot book, but not in scid; whereas other polyglot books in Scid were shown; apparently there still are some compatibility issues; but this is not an urgent problem is it; and while this hype about Brainfish might continue, i hope this discussions were worthwile when some Cerebellum book editor would come out; in the 'demo' i also see percentages (from a database), but then i don't see how these could be combined (unless manually) with the minimaxed scores
hgm

Post by hgm »

Polyglot books are actually a pretty old standard. It was never changed, at least as far as Chess is concerned. (Although the standard was extended in a backward-compatible way to allow header info in the book. WinBoard does not use that yet, though.)

I don't know what the '1337 Polyglot book' is, and I don't know anything about SCID. It is not clear to me what you mean by "shown in SCID". Did the book file not show up in the file-browse dialog, or was SCID unable to find any moves in it? If WinBoard could load the bookand find moves in it,it must be a regular Polyglot book, and I cannot think of any reason why it would not work in SCID.