How texel probes endgame tablebases

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

petero2
Full name: Peter Osterlund

How texel probes endgame tablebases

Post by petero2 »

Texel uses endgame tablebases somewhat differently than other chess engines. Both syzygy and gaviota tablebases can be used simultaneously to complement each other. This post describes how the tablebase probing works.

Goals

- Emulate DTM50 tablebases using publicly available tablebase files.
A DTM50 tablebase contains information needed to force a mate in the fewest possible moves while taking the 50-move draw rule into account. This is what a typical chess engine is already trying to achieve in non-tablebase positions. Therefore I consider DTM50 to be the metric most consistent with the normal behavior of a chess engine.

- Correctly handle the 50-move draw rule.
Texel is designed to play according to the FIDE laws of chess and must not incorrectly think that it can win in a position where more than 50 reversible moves are required to force a mate. This goal also means that texel is not a good choice for analysis of correspondence games where the 50-move draw rule is not used.

- Always play game-theoretically optimal moves when the root position is a tablebase position, even if the half-move clock is non-zero.
In order to be a useful analysis tool texel should be able to find optimal moves (i.e. preserving a win or draw) in tablebase positions even if the half-move clock is larger than 0 and even if sub-optimal moves have been played in order to reach the current position.

- Consistent hash table scores.
Information stored in the transposition table must not have different score ranges depending on if the root position is a TB position or not. This makes it possible to move back and forth in analysis mode without clearing the hash table and without getting inconsistent results.

- Small probe overhead before a TB position is reached in a game.
Retrieving tablebase information during game play and during analysis should be as efficient as possible, both for single threaded and multi-threaded search. This implies that the algorithm should intelligently decide which tablebase type (WDL, DTZ, DTM) to probe.

- Swindle mode to improve practical chances against imperfect opponents.
"Reasonable" moves should be played in order for the engine to not look stupid to a human observer and to improve winning chances when playing against opponents that do not have tablebase information available. For example, in a drawn KRBKR endgame the side with the bishop should not give up its rook even if that preserves the draw. Swindle mode can also be effective against opponents that have imperfect tablebase information available, such as only gaviota or nalimov tablebases that ignore the 50-move draw rule.

Implementation

A tablebase probe can return an exact score or an upper or lower bound, depending on circumstances. The returned score is 0 for a draw, or a mate score for a won/lost position.
- For a gaviota DTM probe the mate score is directly available from the tablebase.
- For a gaviota WDL probe a mate score bound is obtained by looking up the longest possible mate for the given tablebase class in a table that is included in the texel source code.
- For a syzygy WDL probe a mate score bound is obtained by looking up the longest possible mate from a table indexed by the tablebase class and the maximum number of remaining pawn moves. This table is computed using a dynamic programming algorithm when the engine starts.
- For a syzygy DTZ probe a mate score bound is obtained by a look-up from the same table as in the syzygy WDL case, but the DTZ value is used for the current position instead of assuming the largest possible DTZ value for the given tablebase class.

A tablebase probe thus returns similar information as a transposition table probe, and similar logic is used to decide if the probe result can be used to cut off the search tree. The main difference is that tablebase probes behave as if the draft is infinite, because they contain absolute truths instead of being based on imperfect search. In the recursive search function tablebases are probed directly after probing the transposition table.

If a tablebase probe returns a mate bound, but the bound is not good enough to cause a cut off, the search continues to recursively explore this node, just like if a transposition table probe would produce a not good enough bound. It is likely that the recursive search is not able to find a mate score in this case. However, since the tablebase probe always returns absolute truths the tablebase bound can nevertheless be returned as the score for this node.

This post contains some examples of TB probe score bounds.

There are several other details that the implementation has to handle:

- DTZ values from syzygy tablebases can in some cases be off by 1. This is a deliberate design choice that improves compression of the tablebase files. This has to be taken into account to provide correct mate score bounds and to get correct results when a position is on the edge of being drawn by the 50-move rule. In some such positions the syzygy tablebase probe result can not be used. This happens for example in the following position:
[D]7q/3N2k1/8/8/8/7Q/8/1K6 w - - 70 1

- Gaviota tablebases ignore the 50-move draw rule. A probe result can still be useful in many cases.
If the probe returns draw the position is a draw regardless of the half-move clock.
If the probe result is mate in X and X and the half-move clock are small enough to ensure the 50-move rule is irrelevant, the position is mate in X.
If the probe result is mate in X, the value of the position is at least draw regardless of the half-move clock.

- In order to prevent hash grafting that would make the path length to a mate position longer than the 50-move draw rule allows, the half-move clock is factored into the hash signature for all positions having few enough pieces to be potential tablebase positions.

- The syzygy probing code has been modified to make DTZ probes thread safe in the same way WDL probes are already thread safe. This is needed in the texel implementation because all search threads can perform DTZ probes anywhere in the search tree. In the syzygy reference implementation this is not needed because DTZ tables are only probed at the root position before the search starts.

- The gaviota probing code uses a tablebase cache for decompressed data. The implementation of this cache has been changed from a linked list to a hash table to make it fast even if the cache is very large.

- The gaviota probing code has been changed so that LZMA decompression can be performed in parallel by different threads.

- When probing the tablebases for a position the code tries to obtain the required information by probing the "most promising" tablebase first. For example, if the alpha/beta bounds are not mate scores, there is no need to probe a DTZ or DTM table since a WDL probe will be good enough to cause a cut off. If the alpha/beta bounds are mate scores a WDL probe is tried first anyway, because such a probe is cheaper than a DTZ/DTM probe and it might be enough to cause a cut off, for example if the probe result is a draw.

- A tablebase draw probe returns a 0 score. Since the engine is in constant "tablebase swindle mode", this 0 is converted to a score close to 0 in a way that encourages "reasonable" moves to be played. A cursed win is converted to a score in the range 35 - 69 centipawns, where the score is higher the closer to a real win the cursed win is. A blessed loss is similarly converted to a score in the range -69 - -35. A drawn position that is not a cursed win or a blessed loss is mapped to a score in the range -34 - +34. This score is calculated by applying a logarithm-like function to the score returned by the normal texel evaluation function for the position.

- If a tablebase probe returns a draw score and the remaining search depth is >= 16, the search is continued recursively instead of returning the swindle score described above. The idea is that continued searching helps the engine to obtain a higher swindle score, for example by forcing the opponent king to the edge of the board in a drawn KRBKR position. The hope is that a higher swindle score will increase the probability that the opponent makes a mistake. The >= 16 condition is applied in order to not spend too much time on "swindle nodes" when other parts of the search tree do not involve tablebase positions.

- If the root position is a pawn-less 4 man position, no gaviota or syzygy tablebases are available, the available thinking time is large enough, and the transposition table is large enough, texel will automatically generate a tablebase for the position and store it in the main transposition table. This feature could be useful in circumstances where tablebases are often not available, such as smartphones.

Results

The combination of DTZ, DTM and search can in some non-trivial cases obtain the same result as a DTM50 tablebase probe. This post describes one such case.

There are however lots of positions where a very deep search would be needed to get the same result as a DTM50 tablebase. In such positions texel will not be able to find the fastest possible mate, but it will still be able to find a reasonably fast mate.

Future improvements

It could make sense to make the swindle scores asymmetric since texel has perfect tablebase information even though its opponent might not. Handling this would be similar to handling contempt, and would require a strategy to deal with transposition table data consistency when the engine switches side, and in analysis mode. The idea is that a tablebase -69 score (blessed loss on the edge of being a real loss) is a guaranteed draw if texel plays the defending side (assuming the implementation is bug free), so a -69 TB score would be preferable over a -30 non-TB score, since the non-TB score indicates a small disadvantage that could lead to a loss.

In a lost TB position it could make sense to maximize the DTZ value instead of maximizing the DTM50 value, because that would increase the probability for an opponent to make a mistake if the opponent does not have a tablebase implementation that is aware of the 50-move draw rule.

When analyzing endgame studies and correspondence games it would be useful to be able to disable the 50-move draw rule.
Michel

Re: How texel probes endgame tablebases

Post by Michel »

Nice! Thanks for the explanation.
Ideas=science. Simplification=engineering.
Without ideas there is nothing to simplify.
sedicla
Full name: Alcides Schulz

Post by sedicla »

Hey Peter, it seems you did a very sophisticated tablebase implementation. I am planning to implement egtb in my engine and I was planning to implement syzygy support.
Since I am not familiar with egtb implementation I was wondering why you need to complement with gaviota.
In other words what I will miss if I implement only syzygy? Is this the situation we saw in one of SF games in TCEC where it delayed the progress until close to the 50 move rule?
Sorry, I read your post but it is not clear for me, I guess when I start implementing I will understand, but since it is fresh in you memory you can point out.
Thanks.
jdart

Post by jdart »

I'd encourage you to contribute some of your changes to the Fathom library:

https://github.com/basil00/Fathom

which is an attempt to make a general-purpose Syzygy library usable in multiple engines.

--Jon
petero2

Post by petero2 »

sedicla wrote:Hey Peter, it seems you did a very sophisticated tablebase implementation. I am planning to implement egtb in my engine and I was planning to implement syzygy support.
Since I am not familiar with egtb implementation I was wondering why you need to complement with gaviota.
In other words what I will miss if I implement only syzygy? Is this the situation we saw in one of SF games in TCEC where it delayed the progress until close to the 50 move rule?
In short, adding gaviota tablebases is only a "cosmetic fix" if you already have syzygy tables, causing the engine to win faster/lose slower in already won/lost positions. There is no elo gain at all.

Texel does not have the delaying problem sf demonstrated in its TCEC game, but you don't need gaviota tablebases to fix that either. I think Ronald already mentioned that it should be possible to fix this problem by modifying the hash signature when the root position is a tablebase position.
sedicla
Full name: Alcides Schulz

Post by sedicla »

petero2 wrote:
sedicla wrote:Hey Peter, it seems you did a very sophisticated tablebase implementation. I am planning to implement egtb in my engine and I was planning to implement syzygy support.
In short, adding gaviota tablebases is only a "cosmetic fix" if you already have syzygy tables, causing the engine to win faster/lose slower in already won/lost positions. There is no elo gain at all.

Texel does not have the delaying problem sf demonstrated in its TCEC game, but you don't need gaviota tablebases to fix that either. I think Ronald already mentioned that it should be possible to fix this problem by modifying the hash signature when the root position is a tablebase position.
Thanks Peter, I understand. But this is a good fix since it the engine behaves better for analysis and such.
syzygy

Post by syzygy »

petero2 wrote:Texel does not have the delaying problem sf demonstrated in its TCEC game, but you don't need gaviota tablebases to fix that either. I think Ronald already mentioned that it should be possible to fix this problem by modifying the hash signature when the root position is a tablebase position.
Once it has reached a winning TB position on the board, SF stops probing TBs within the search but only uses the TBs to filter out root moves that do not win (taking account of the 50-move rule).

What I initially thought is that in this particular TCEC game, SF's search got confused by hash entries (surviving from searches at earlier moves where SF was probing WDL TBs from within the search) that showed that the 6-piece position with unmoved pawns was a TB win. Pawn moves would lead to lines without such TB win hash entries and therefore be scored lower.

However, the strange thing is that SF's PVs show that it was planning pawn moves and captures. So the TB win hash entries surviving from searches at earlier moves (and later hash entries influenced by them) apparently did not confuse SF, or at least not completely.

So it seems that SF under the particular conditions of that game simply happened to prefer delaying moving its pawns. Perhaps it is possible to reproduce this without TBs at all.
syzygy

Post by syzygy »

jdart wrote:I'd encourage you to contribute some of your changes to the Fathom library:

https://github.com/basil00/Fathom

which is an attempt to make a general-purpose Syzygy library usable in multiple engines.
I'm going to slightly abuse this thread to write down some thoughts for myself which perhaps are also useful for others. And the Fathom library might wish to incorporate some changes I made.

I just rewrote probe_ab(), probe_wdl() and probe_dtz() a bit to simplify en passant handling (in particular probe_dtz_no_ep() is now gone).

Probe_ab() now does nothing more than retrieve the WDL value (including capture resolution) for a position without ep rights. It is only called for positions known to have no ep rights (after a capture).

Probe_wdl() handles positions with and without ep rights. It does the first round of capture resolution and calls probe_ab() on positions after a capture. Probe_wdl() also looks at en passant captures and corrects the result returned by probe_wdl_table() in case (cursed) losing ep captures are the only moves available.
Probe_wdl() also sets the *success flag to indicate (to probe_dtz()) that either a (cursed) winning capture exists or that the only best move available is an ep capture (i.e. the ep capture changes the WDL value of the position).

Dealing with ep and non-ep together in probe_dtz() is tricky, because probe_dtz_table() must be invoked within probe_dtz() with the WDL value corresponding to the position without ep rights.

Probe_dtz() now first invokes probe_wdl() (which works for ep and non-ep), storing the result in wdl. So this value corresponds to the WDL value for the position with ep rights if the position has ep rights.

If wdl == 0 (draw), probe_dtz() returns 0.

If *success indicates a winning capture or losing ep captures as only moves, it returns the corresponding DTZ value.

If wdl > 0 (win), it looks for a winning pawn move (now only invoking probe_wdl() on each pawn move) and returns 1 (or 101) if there is one.

After these tests, it is certain that the value of wdl corresponds to the WDL value of the same position without ep rights. This is so because:
- if a winning ep capture exists, it was detected before.
- if a cursed winning ep capture exists, it either does not change the outcome (in case wdl == 2) or it was detected before.
- if a drawing ep capture exists, it either does not change the outcome (in case wdl > 0) or it makes the position a draw and was detected before.
- if a (blessed) losing ep capture exists, it either does not change the outcome or it is the "best" move available and was therefore detected before.
So we can safely call probe_dtz_table().

(Writing this down, I realised I had missed a case in my rewrite. I have now fixed it and the above reflects the current state.)

If the DTZ tables stores positions for the other side to move, the 1-ply search now simply skips all captures and pawn moves. This works because in the win case any winning capture or pawn move has already been caught and because in the loss case there will either be a "better" (non-zeroing) losing move or dtz is "worst" possible, i.e. either -1 (loss) or -101 (blessed loss), and we can set that value on the basis of the known WDL value of the position.
petero2

Post by petero2 »

Here are two examples to illustrate how the combination of probing and searching works in practice. Consider the following position from a recent TCEC game:
[D]8/8/4r3/4k3/8/1K2P3/3P4/6R1 w - - 1 46
A tablebase probe for this position returns "mate in at most 608 moves". The 608 number mainly comes from the fact that DTZ is at most 90 in a KRPPKR endgame and there are at most 9 possible pawn moves. This means that after at most 90*(9+1) = 900 plies (450 moves), the position must be possible to convert to a different endgame class. Similar considerations are used for the following endgame classes, and in this case it turns out that for all possible pawn moves and conversion sequences, there are never more than 608 moves needed until mate.

In practice it would take an extreme sequence of coincidences for the positions after each conversion to have a DTZ value that is equal to the maximum DTZ value for the corresponding endgame class. Therefore the real distance to mate would typically be much smaller than what the probing code is able to prove. In those cases the search would find that it is possible to force a conversion faster than the worst case calculation would suggest.

In this position the deeper the search goes, the more pawn moves it will be able to force within its search horizon, therefore causing better mate scores to be found. Here is some search output. Only information for depths where the mate score got improved is shown. Using syzygy and gaviota TBs, 2GB hash, 24 threads:

Code: Select all

info depth 2 score mate 522 time 16 nodes 440 nps 27500 tbhits 50 pv d2d4 e5d5 g1g5 e6e5
info depth 14 score mate 481 time 1216 nodes 5963365 nps 4904083 tbhits 1185521 pv d2d4 e5d5 g1g5 d5d6 g5g3 e6e8 b3c2 e8c8 c2d3 c8a8 g3g6 d6e7 e3e4 a8a3 d3e2 a3a4 e2e3 e7f7 g6g5 a4a3
info depth 15 score mate 480 time 1610 nodes 8557261 nps 5315068 tbhits 1720461 pv d2d4 e5d5 g1g3 e6e8 b3c3 d5e4 g3g5 e8e7 d4d5 e7e8 c3b4 e8d8 b4c5 d8a8 c5d6 a8a6 d6e7 a6a7 e7e6 a7h7 g5e5 e4f3 d5d6 h7h6 e6d5 f3e2
info depth 17 score mate 478 time 7614 nodes 53621454 nps 7042481 tbhits 10380461 pv d2d4 e5d6 g1g3 e6e8 b3c4 e8c8 c4d3 c8a8 g3g6 d6e7 e3e4 a8a3 d3c4 a3a4 c4c5 a4a3 e4e5 a3a5
info depth 18 score mate 438 time 10563 nodes 76546333 nps 7246647 tbhits 14515548 pv d2d4 e5d5 g1g3 e6h6 g3g5 d5d6 e3e4 h6h4 g5e5 h4g4 b3c4 g4g1 e5a5 g1c1 c4d3 c1d1 d3c3 d1c1 c3d2 c1c8 a5a6 d6e7 d4d5 c8d8
info depth 19 score mate 437 time 14672 nodes 109508897 nps 7463801 tbhits 20261579 pv d2d4 e5d5 g1g5 d5d6 g5g3 d6d7 b3c3 d7e7 c3c4 e6a6 e3e4 a6a4 c4c5 a4a5 c5b4 a5a2 e4e5 a2d2 b4c5 e7e6 g3g6 e6f7 g6f6 f7e7 d4d5 d2a2
info depth 21 score mate 435 time 26494 nodes 201014982 nps 7587188 tbhits 36873261 pv d2d4 e5d5 g1g5 d5d6 g5g3 e6e4 b3c2 e4e8 g3g6 d6e7 e3e4 e7f7 g6g4 e8a8 d4d5 f7f6 c2d3 a8a3 d3c4 f6e7 g4h4 a3a1 h4h7 e7d6 h7h6 d6d7 d5d6 a1a5
info depth 22 score mate 434 time 57955 nodes 451603270 nps 7792309 tbhits 81311862 pv d2d4 e5f5 g1g3 e6c6 b3b4 c6c8 d4d5 f5e5 g3g5 e5f6 g5h5 f6g6 h5e5 c8c1 e3e4 c1d1 e5e6 g6f7 b4c5 d1c1 c5d6 c1a1 e4e5 a1a6 d6d7 a6a7 d7c8 a7a8 c8b7 a8a5
info depth 23 score mate 348 time 118437 nodes 927990895 nps 7835312 tbhits 163061880 pv d2d4 e5d5 g1g5 d5d6 g5g3 d6d7 b3c4 e6c6 c4d3 c6a6 d4d5 a6a1 d3d4 d7d6 e3e4 a1a4 d4e3 d6e5 g3g5 e5f6 g5f5 f6e7 e4e5 a4a1 e5e6 e7d6
info depth 24 score mate 344 time 198557 nodes 1559611673 nps 7854730 tbhits 266497340 pv d2d4 e5d5 g1g5 d5d6 g5g3 d6d7 b3c4 e6c6 c4d5 c6d6 d5e5 d6e6 e5f5 e6e8 e3e4 e8f8 f5e5 f8e8 e5d5 d7e7 e4e5 e8d8 d5e4 d8h8 d4d5 h8h4 e4f5 h4h5 g3g5 h5h7 d5d6 e7d7 f5e4 d7c6 g5g6 c6d7 e4d5 h7h5 g6g7 d7e8 d6d7 e8d8 d5e6 h5h6
info depth 25 score mate 343 time 316550 nodes 2472024681 nps 7809270 tbhits 415580310 pv d2d4 e5d5 g1g5 d5d6 g5g3 d6d7 b3c4 d7d6 c4d3 e6h6 e3e4 h6h1 g3g6 d6e7 e4e5 h1a1 d4d5 a1d1 d3c4 d1c1 c4b3 e7f7 g6f6 f7e8 d5d6 c1d1 b3c4 e8d7 f6f7 d7e8
info depth 26 score mate 296 time 1012745 nodes 8053055467 nps 7951710 tbhits 1270414979 pv d2d4 e5d5 g1g5 d5d6 g5g3 e6e8 b3c4 e8c8 c4d3 c8c1 g3g6 d6e7 e3e4 c1e1 e4e5 e7d7 d3c4 e1a1 c4b5 a1c1 d4d5 c1b1 b5a6 b1a1 a6b7 a1b1 g6b6 b1d1 b6d6 d7e7 b7c7 d1a1 e5e6
According to Lomonosov tablebases this position is a mate in 35 moves, but the search is not able to prove that in a reasonable amount of time. Note that the search heavily probes the tablebases (nodes/tbhits=6.3) and NPS suffers a lot. Also note that the probes are not very effective at cutting off the search tree in this position, because many moves for white preserve the win, but the mate bounds from DTZ probes are not good enough.

Here is another example that is a mate in 23 moves according to Lomonosov tablebases:
[D]4K3/4P3/7k/8/2B4P/8/8/7r w - - 1 1
In this position the search is more successful in finding a forced conversions to simpler tablebase classes. Using syzygy and gaviota TBs, 2GB hash, 1 thread:

info depth 3 score mate 332 time 60 nodes 166 nps 2766 tbhits 33 pv c4e6 h1g1
info depth 11 score mate 331 time 808 nodes 385415 nps 476998 tbhits 32124 pv c4e6 h6g7 e8d7 h1d1 d7c6 d1c1 c6d5 c1d1 d5e4 d1e1 e4f5 e1f1 f5g5 f1f4 g5f4 g7f6 e7e8q f6g7 e8h5 g7f6 h5f7
info depth 12 score mate 252 time 892 nodes 425942 nps 477513 tbhits 39807 pv c4e6 h6g7 e8d7 h1d1 d7c6 d1c1 c6b7 c1b1 b7a8 b1a1 a8b8 a1b1 b8c7 b1c1 c7d6 c1d1 d6e5 d1e1 e5f5 e1f1 f5g5 f1g1 g5h5 g1c1 e7e8q g7f6
info depth 15 score mate 220 time 19219 nodes 12728544 nps 662289 tbhits 1069611 pv c4e6 h1b1 e8d8 b1d1 d8c7 d1c1 c7d6 c1d1 d6c5 d1c1 c5d4 c1d1 d4c3 d1c1 c3d2 c1g1 e7e8q g1g2
info depth 16 score mate 24 time 31278 nodes 23333656 nps 746008 tbhits 1768823 pv c4e6 h1d1 h4h5 d1f1 e8d7 f1d1 d7c6 d1c1 c6d5 c1d1 d5c4 d1c1 c4d3 c1d1 d3e2 d1g1 e7e8q h6h7 e8f7 h7h6 e6f5 h6g5 f7g6 g5f4 g6g1 f4f5 g1d4 f5e6 h5h6 e6f5 h6h7 f5e6 h7h8q e6e7 d4e5 e7d7 h8e8
info depth 18 score mate 23 time 43501 nodes 33586504 nps 772085 tbhits 2455903 pv c4e6 h1d1 h4h5 h6g7 h5h6 g7h7 e6f5 h7g8 h6h7 g8g7 h7h8q g7h8 e8f7 d1e1 f5e6 e1f1 f7g6 f1g1 g6f5 g1f1 f5g4 f1g1 g4f3 g1f1 f3g2 f1f4 e7e8q h8g7 e6b3 f4g4 g2f3 g4g1 e8g8 g7f6 g8g1 f6e7 g1d1 e7f6 d1d6 f6g7 f3f4 g7h7 f4g5 h7g7 d6h6
If no gaviota tablebases are used, searching deeper still helps, but finding a short mate is harder. Using syzygy TBs, 2GB hash, 16 threads:

info depth 3 score mate 332 time 9 nodes 166 nps 18444 tbhits 33 pv c4e6 h1g1
info depth 12 score mate 244 time 1789 nodes 24267596 nps 13564894 tbhits 1561474 pv c4e6 h6g6 e8f8 h1f1 f8g8 g6f6 e7e8q f1c1 e6g4 c1c8 e8c8 f6e5 c8c5 e5e4 c5d4 e4d4
info depth 13 score mate 235 time 6522 nodes 99509412 nps 15257499 tbhits 5999056 pv c4e6 h1d1 h4h5 h6g7 h5h6 g7h7 e6f5 h7h8 e8f7 d1e1 f5e6 e1f1 f7g6 f1g1 g6h5 g1h1 h5g4 h1g1 g4f3 g1f1
info depth 16 score mate 189 time 8913 nodes 133360362 nps 14962455 tbhits 8001398 pv c4e6 h1g1 e8d8 g1d1 d8c7 d1c1 c7d6 c1d1 d6c5 d1c1 c5d4 c1d1 d4c3 d1c1 c3d2 c1f1 e7e8q f1f2 d2e1 f2f4 e8h8 h6g6 h4h5 g6g5
info depth 17 score mate 188 time 10186 nodes 149549106 nps 14681828 tbhits 9153133 pv c4e6 h1d1 h4h5 h6g7 h5h6 g7h7 e8f7 d1f1 f7e8 f1d1
info depth 20 score mate 179 time 60363 nodes 905176816 nps 14995557 tbhits 50669574 pv c4e6 h1d1 h4h5 h6h7 h5h6 d1d2 e6f5 h7g8 h6h7 g8g7
info depth 21 score mate 105 time 129757 nodes 1922988754 nps 14819923 tbhits 109248679 pv c4e6 h6g7 e8d7 h1d1 d7c7 d1c1 c7d6 c1d1 d6e5 d1e1 e5f5 e1f1 f5g5 f1g1 g5h5 g7f6 e7e8q f6e5 e8b8 e5e4 b8b7 e4e3 b7a7 e3d2 a7g1 d2c3 g1f2 c3b4 f2c5 b4a4 c5b6
info depth 22 score mate 45 time 1036090 nodes 13888722392 nps 13404938 tbhits 829174468 pv c4e6 h1d1 h4h5 h6h7 h5h6 d1d2 e6f5 h7h6 e8f7 d2f2 e7e8q f2f5 f7e6 h6g5 e8d8 g5g4 d8d1 f5f3 e6e5 g4g3 d1g1 g3h4 g1h2 h4g4 h2g2 f3g3 g2e4 g4h3 e5f5 g3g1 e4d3 h3h2 f5f4 g1f1 f4g4 f1g1 g4h4 g1g2
info depth 23 score mate 44 time 1169744 nodes 15462366908 nps 13218590 tbhits 924067475 pv c4e6 h1d1 h4h5 h6h7 h5h6 d1d2 e6f5 h7h6 e8f7 d2f2 e7e8q f2f5 f7e6 h6g5 e8d8 g5g4 d8d1 f5f3 e6e5 g4g3 d1g1 g3h4 g1h2 h4g4 h2g2 f3g3 g2e4 g4h3 e5f5 g3g1 e4d3 h3h2 f5f4 g1f1 f4g4 f1g1 g4h4 g1g2
Joerg Oster

Post by Joerg Oster »

Thank you for your explanations, Peter.

And indeed, with my rather naive approach of changing the way TB scores are being stored into TT (upper, exact and lower bound and nominal depth), and not taking the cutoff beyond a certain threshold, there is a lot of score bouncing going on.

@Ronald: is there a special reason to not allow probing of TBs when the root position is a TB position? (e. g. in a 6-man root position, still probing 3, 4 and 5-men TBs)
Jörg Oster