To MODERATORS: Please STOP moving genuine tournaments!

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Graham Banks

Re: Statement from the Moderation Team

Post by Graham Banks »

Bob - I don't mind which way the mods prefer to address the issue at hand, but what did you think of the suggestion that I posted?

An announcement in the top part of the general subforum (stays there) that all tournament announcements and information are posted in the tournament subforum.

That in conjunction with the programmer-only events being stickied at the top of the tournament subforum for as long as necessary?

I would have thought that that gives lots of exposure for the organisers.

I do agree that these events are important to a lot of people.

Would also be good for Charles to give an opinion regarding this suggestion.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
bob

Post by bob »

Graham Banks wrote:Bob - I don't mind which way the mods prefer to address the issue at hand, but what did you think of the suggestion that I posted?

An announcement in the top part of the general subforum (stays there) that all tournament announcements and information are posted in the tournament subforum.

That in conjunction with the programmer-only events being stickied at the top of the tournament subforum for as long as necessary?

I would have thought that that gives lots of exposure for the organisers.

I do agree that these events are important to a lot of people.

Would also be good for Charles to give an opinion regarding this suggestion.
I do not like stickys. They don't work in other fora because who keeps checking the sticky? They are sort of like a warning from a compiler to a lazy programmer. Once you see the warning and realize it is benign, you ignore it, rather than fixing it.

So, bottom line for me is that these things belong where they have ALWAYS been in the past, in the general forum. My primary issue right now is "why was this policy changed?" Moderators are not supposed to make policy, they are supposed to enforce existing charter policy only.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Graham Banks wrote:
hgm wrote:Indeed, if the moderators cannot refrain from abusing their powers to vandalize the forum, they should step down. The task of moderators is to guard people's rights to make computer-chess-related topics public without being harassed. Not to harass people themselves.
Another gross over-reaction.
Says someone not in the least affected by the issue...

Guess what, I also find it a gross over-reaction that the police holds a man-hunt here for a pyromaniac that burns cars each night. It would be much better if they spent their time on catching criminals. Pyromania is just a disease,after all. The guy that doesn't cannot help himself.

Needless to say, I do not own a car...
hgm

Post by hgm »

Graham Banks wrote:An announcement in the top part of the general subforum (stays there) that all tournament announcements and information are posted in the tournament subforum.
It is if fact the ultimate exercise in futility. 'Solving' the problem that something is broken by putting up a notice that says "Something is broken"....
hgm

Post by hgm »

Graham Banks wrote:An announcement in the top part of the general subforum (stays there) that all tournament announcements and information are posted in the tournament subforum.
It is if fact the ultimate exercise in futility. 'Solving' the problem that something is broken by putting up a notice that says "Something is broken"....

When people threw a stone through my window last year, and I had someone come to fix it, he stuck a piece of paper on the shards that had remained in the window fraim, that said "broken window", and asked if that fixed it to my satisfaction.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

hgm wrote:

When people threw a stone through my window last year, and I had someone come to fix it, he stuck a piece of paper on the shards that had remained in the window fraim, that said "broken window", and asked if that fixed it to my satisfaction.
You'll be writing poetry for me next! :lol:
gbanksnz at gmail.com
hgm

Post by hgm »

There once was a fellow called Graham,
who came to a forum in mayhem.
His ideas were inane:
everyone was in pain,
and he thought it would help just to say them.

:P
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

hgm wrote:There once was a fellow called Graham,
who came to a forum in mayhem.
His ideas were inane:
everyone was in pain,
and he thought it would help just to say them.

:P
:)
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Rebel wrote:Question for the motherators: suppose Komodo team manages to agree on a 6-game match against Magnus Carlsen in the style of the 2 historic Deep Blue - Kasparov matches. According to your (new) policy you are forced to move the big news and all its enthusiastic responses to T&M.

Would you?
Are you still thinking about an answer?

The point of the example is that there are tournaments and tournaments, meaning there is something as priority.

And I am sure that you want your policy on this bug free.
gerold

Re: To MODERATORS: Please STOP moving genuine tournaments!

Post by gerold »

Dirt wrote:
Dann Corbit wrote:Are people really to stupid to look in the 'tournaments' section for tournaments?
It's not that I'm too stupid, it's just that viewing "Tournaments and Matches" is usually a waste of time for me.
Plus one.

Tournaments section is mostly for clones and such.