Next Komodo vs. GM handicap match - "Opening Blunders&q

Discussion of computer chess matches and engine tournaments.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

How will Komodo score making 4 opening blunders vs. GM?

Poll ended at Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:02 am

Half a point or zero.
No votes
One point.
No votes
1.5 points.
20%
Two points.
40%
2.5 points.
20%
3.5 or 4 points.
20%

Total votes: 5

EroSennin

Re: Next Komodo vs. GM handicap match - "Opening Blunde

Post by EroSennin »

I want to play a handicap match against Komodo too. My elo is just 2440 though. I do not think I have ever used Komodo as my analysis engine.
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

EroSennin wrote:I want to play a handicap match against Komodo too. My elo is just 2440 though. I do not think I have ever used Komodo as my analysis engine.
You might try two pawns, perhaps 1 game each at b2/c2,c2/d2,d2/e2, and e2/f2. This assumes you have a pretty good computer and plan to play at a time control somewhat like the 45' + 15" or 30" we have used.
Komodo rules!
Jesse Gersenson

Post by Jesse Gersenson »

lkaufman wrote:
EroSennin wrote:I want to play a handicap match against Komodo too. My elo is just 2440 though. I do not think I have ever used Komodo as my analysis engine.
You might try two pawns, perhaps 1 game each at b2/c2,c2/d2,d2/e2, and e2/f2. This assumes you have a pretty good computer and plan to play at a time control somewhat like the 45' + 15" or 30" we have used.
e2/f2 sounds like an exciting game.
Jesse Gersenson

Re: In additional ... please contact John Shaw!

Post by Jesse Gersenson »

lkaufman wrote:[snip]I still find it strange that Komodo lost so badly to Neuman, a rather low-rated GM, but never lost another GM match.[/snip]
Before the match, based on your testing against Rybka 3, it looked like Neuman was going to get barbecued. Turns out it was an easy position for the human to play, after some initial learning.

As far as I know the Neuman match was the first handicap GM match for Komodo.
Some things unique to his match:
- Neuman got the same position 5 games in a row
- Between day 1 and day 2 N talked with Movsessian and they likely discussed strategy, i.e. average GM getting guidance from strong GM between rounds.
- f2/c2 was a larger handicap than other similarly rated players got

I remember on day two, after game 4 or game 5, sitting at lunch with Neuman and I asked how it was he was mashing the computer so easily and he said, "At first I didn't know what I was up against and was playing scared. Then I figured out I just have to stop all tactical chances by setting up a solid structure, then force trades on e4 and move into a winning endgame."

I asked, "What if the machine doesn't want to trade on e4?"
He answered, "Then I get a piece on e4 and my position is winning."
lkaufman

Re: In additional ... please contact John Shaw!

Post by lkaufman »

Jesse Gersenson wrote:
lkaufman wrote:[snip]I still find it strange that Komodo lost so badly to Neuman, a rather low-rated GM, but never lost another GM match.[/snip]
Before the match, based on your testing against Rybka 3, it looked like Neuman was going to get barbecued. Turns out it was an easy position for the human to play, after some initial learning.

As far as I know the Neuman match was the first handicap GM match for Komodo.
Some things unique to his match:
- Neuman got the same position 5 games in a row
- Between day 1 and day 2 N talked with Movsessian and they likely discussed strategy, i.e. average GM getting guidance from strong GM between rounds.
- f2/c2 was a larger handicap than other similarly rated players got

I remember on day two, after game 4 or game 5, sitting at lunch with Neuman and I asked how it was he was mashing the computer so easily and he said, "At first I didn't know what I was up against and was playing scared. Then I figured out I just have to stop all tactical chances by setting up a solid structure, then force trades on e4 and move into a winning endgame."

I asked, "What if the machine doesn't want to trade on e4?"
He answered, "Then I get a piece on e4 and my position is winning."
Maybe playing early d4 at this handicap is a mistake. Perhaps Komodo could have done better settling for d3.
Komodo rules!