OS X

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

mvk

Re: Specific bloat

Post by mvk »

hgm wrote:
mvk wrote:That is compensated by the focus grabbing the board window does every time a move is made... (sorry, equally annoying)
Isn't that a consequenceof the 'auto-raise board' option?
Which menu has that?
[Account deleted]
JoshPettus

Post by JoshPettus »

Options-> General Options ->Auto Raise Board checkbox
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

No, it is in the Options -> ICS dialog, not Options -> General.
mvk

Post by mvk »

hgm wrote:No, it is in the Options -> ICS dialog, not Options -> General.
Found it. I humbly suggest to make the Dock Icon jump on OSX for this functionality. Or at least make the default 'false' for focus stealing on OSX.
[Account deleted]
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Well, I have no idea what a Dock Icon is, or what it means to make it jump.

This auto-raise option should only affect what happens when a new game starts (i.e. when the ICS sends a board for a game XBoard was not already displaying). Not on every move. At least, it did not for me on Linux, when I tried it. (But I only covered it with other windows from XBoard, although these were top-level, in particular the ICS Chat/Console.)
JoshPettus

Post by JoshPettus »

hgm wrote:No, it is in the Options -> ICS dialog, not Options -> General.
Sorry, I was on windows at the time and thought I saw it there in winboard. Unless I was smoking something?

Didn't seem like he was complaining about an ICS feature at any rate.
hgm wrote:Well, I have no idea what a Dock Icon is, or what it means to make it jump.
Not that I recommend this, but there is a function in the macintegration library that sends the appropriate alert to do this. Imagine on the taskbar your program bounced whenever it wanted your attention, but this would be for alerts and such (why you already wouldn't have the whole app in focus at anyrate, I don't know).
This auto-raise option should only affect what happens when a new game starts (i.e. when the ICS sends a board for a game XBoard was not already displaying). Not on every move.
That's the behavior I'm seeing. If I seeked a game and someone accepted while the board was minimized, it pops up like expected as well.
The immediacy of a board popping up is far more effective, then a dock icon bounce, since it is assumed the player intends to play the game.

I do not see what mvk means by every move. Another setting at play perhaps? I must not have it on.

It is true that the last window opened gets focus when XBoard opens (which is usually an auxiliary window). Not that I have ever noticed this till now, or ever thought it to be a problem.
JoshPettus

Post by JoshPettus »

Or is mvk's issues all peculiarities of running XBoard in XQuartz? I admit the results I am getting are through GTK/Quartz app.