Curiosity Engine ??? (For Now It's Number 1 )

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Leto

Re: Curiosity Engine ??? (For Now It's Number 1 )

Post by Leto »

Could be Fritz 15...

After 1998 games out of 3520 it is currently 3192, almost 20 elo higher than Stockfish 6 (3174) but 20 elo below Komodo 9.2 (3212). But if you look at the individual match scores you see that what's really holding it down is the matches against engines over 300 elo weaker where scoring 85% only gives you a performance in the low 3100 range. Personally in my testing for CEGT 40/4 I would only go as low as about 200 elo weaker than the candidate, usually Critter 1.6a, I think anything below that gets ridiculous and only hurts the candidate.

The matches that matter the most are against the top engines, namely Komodo 9.2 (3212), Stockfish 6 (3174), Houdini 4 (3123), and Gull 3 (3076). Its performance against the elite 4 after 1998 games is 3264 against Komodo 9.2, 3240 against Stockfish 6, 3276 against Houdini 4, and 3221 against Gull 3. By performance alone against the elite 4 this engine would be the new number 1.
mehmet karaman

Post by mehmet karaman »

Curiosity - Komodo 9.2 (3212) 75.5 - 55.5 57.63% Perf=3265
Curiosity - Stockfish 6 (3174) 77.5 - 51.5 60.08% Perf=3244
Curiosity - Houdini 4 (3123) 89.5 - 37.5 70.47% Perf=3274

Curiosity's performance against top engines is really incredible.

Curiosity is the new engine of Stefan (Shredder) or Rybka 5/Fritz 15 or Houdini 5 ,....???

I hope Ingo will give us the answer after the test
Last edited by mehmet karaman on Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
supersharp77

Re: Curiosity Engine ??? What in The World!?!?

Post by supersharp77 »

mehmet karaman wrote:Is Curiosity engine is the new engine of Stefan Meyer-Kahlen (Shredder) or Rybka 5 or another something.

It's performance is wonderful.

http://www.inwoba.de/

Seen this site a few times over the years......'Curiosity' chess engine?
really? Seems quite curious......and what is the time control? Whats the engine information? Wheres the pgn files for the 'games played'?
AR :)
Aser Huerga

Post by Aser Huerga »

I hope I'm not right, but I guess the engine is no other than the new Komodo version.

Ingo is using the Shredder Classic GUI, so no Fritz 15 (unless an UCI version will be announced for the first time in Fritz engine history).

I expect a strong new Shredder version, but I don't think it will reach to the top before at least another year of development (only a few months ago the new Shredder bitboard based code had only reached the Shredder 12 playing strength).

The only programers left that I think can get a super-top engine right now are Richard Vida or Robert Houdart, but it's highly improbable they are developing new versions and even then, that they surpass the actual Komodo and SF versions.
mcostalba

Post by mcostalba »

mehmet karaman wrote:Is Curiosity engine is the new engine of Stefan Meyer-Kahlen (Shredder) or Rybka 5 or another something.

My bet is that is the latest SF dev version: results more or less match.
Leto

Post by Leto »

Aser Huerga wrote:I hope I'm not right, but I guess the engine is no other than the new Komodo version.

Ingo is using the Shredder Classic GUI, so no Fritz 15 (unless an UCI version will be announced for the first time in Fritz engine history).

I expect a strong new Shredder version, but I don't think it will reach to the top before at least another year of development (only a few months ago the new Shredder bitboard based code had only reached the Shredder 12 playing strength).

The only programers left that I think can get a super-top engine right now are Richard Vida or Robert Houdart, but it's highly improbable they are developing new versions and even then, that they surpass the actual Komodo and SF versions.
I don't think it's Komodo. From the rules page http://www.inwoba.de/rules.html rule number 4 says that new entries play 3500 games against the top 16 engines, and new releases of one of the top 16 engines play 3300 games against the other 15 engines.

So Komodo can't play against Komodo, etc.

If it's not Fritz 15 it's probably Synapse RZ4.8, an engine inspired by Ippolit.
Aser Huerga

Post by Aser Huerga »

Leto wrote:
I don't think it's Komodo. From the rules page http://www.inwoba.de/rules.html rule number 4 says that new entries play 3500 games against the top 16 engines, and new releases of one of the top 16 engines play 3300 games against the other 15 engines.

So Komodo can't play against Komodo, etc.

If it's not Fritz 15 it's probably Synapse RZ4.8, an engine inspired by Ippolit.
So nor new SF version ...

Your point is very judicious, but I doubt any Ippolit based engine have surpass Komodo and SF ... let's see in a few hours.
IWB

Post by IWB »

mcostalba wrote:

Bingo! :-) 151031

But it is just for my curiosity. I will wait for an offical release before I include it in my list.

Btw, I play with "ettiquette on" which means that the GUI is adjucating the game when the loosing engine sees itself 3x in a row at 5 full pawns against it. Unfortunately the GUI plays on if the engine imediately shows a Mate in X moves. As your engine is winning quite often I have a lot of games which are palyed to a mate. Now the problem is, that your engine is crashing with ponder on right before the mate with a high percentage. (I can only guess as I can't follow all games but my estimate is somewhere between 5 to 10%! - in a real run I would refuse that as too buggy to be tested!)

Bye
Ingo
Leto

Post by Leto »

IWB wrote:
mcostalba wrote:

But it is just for my curiosity. I will wait for an offical release before I include it in my list.

Btw, I play with "ettiquette on" which means that the GUI is adjucating the game when the loosing engine sees itself 3x in a row at 5 full pawns against it. Unfortunately the GUI plays on if the engine imediately shows a Mate in X moves. As your engine is winning quite often I have a lot of games which are palyed to a mate. Now the problem is, that your engine is crashing with ponder on right before the mate with a high percentage. (I can only guess as I can't follow all games but my estimate is somewhere between 5 to 10%! - in a real run I would refuse that as too buggy to be tested!)

Bye
Ingo
I hope that this bug doesn't interfere with the TCEC 8 final which is starting in a few days!
IWB

Post by IWB »

Leto wrote:
IWB wrote:
mcostalba wrote:

Btw, I play with "ettiquette on" which means that the GUI is adjucating the game when the loosing engine sees itself 3x in a row at 5 full pawns against it. Unfortunately the GUI plays on if one engine imediately shows a Mate in X moves. As your engine is winning quite often I have a lot of games which are palyed to a mate. Now the problem is, that your engine is crashing with ponder on right before the mate with a high percentage. (I can only guess as I can't follow all games but my estimate is somewhere between 5 to 10%! - in a real run I would refuse that as too buggy to be tested!)

Bye
Ingo
I hope that this bug doesn't interfere with the TCEC 8 final which is starting in a few days!
I don't know if it happens in the chess sub group of Ponder OFF games ... but as nearly no one tests real chess - shit might happen ...

Ingo