Windows 10 Experience

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

fern

Windows 10 Experience

Post by fern »

Faster, smoother, prettier, handy and every chess program works as a charm.
Just missing Cortana, still not available in my country.

Fern
Modern Times

Re: Windows 10 Experience

Post by Modern Times »

Yes I'm a big fan of it. I've upgraded both a Windows 7 and a Windows 8.1 machine so far.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Mine, not so good.
I had hundreds of apps, all of which vanished after my free upgrade.
Through my own search, I discovered that they had all moved to a folder called:
windows.old
Great, now I can run them.
Not so fast.
Almost all of them fail with "side by side" error, meaning that the system cannot install some important dll file.

In addition, all of my Microsoft compilers now failed (I have 2010 through 2015 installed).

OK, reinstall them.
Every reinstall fails. And stopping the failed installs also fails.

My impression:
The biggest piece of trash in the universe.

Further thoughts...

OK, I like the nice pictures.

Further, further thoughts...

I used their browser to try to install Open Office, since that is what I use for Word processing, etc. from home.

It told me that Open Office was not compatible and threw me away from the page.

OK, fine. I installed Firefox, and went back to the page.
I installed Open Office.
That was literally the only install that worked on my machine (every reinstall of a MS product has failed).
At least I have open office.

My $5000 home machine has been turned into a word processor thanks to the free "upgrade". Hundreds of apps have been vaporized.

P.S.
The new GUI is hideous. It literally looks like Windows 1.0 (all the menus are totally flat).
fern

Post by fern »

Damn, Dan, yours was an experience worthy of appearing in Paradise Lost by Milton.
What I cannot understand is that you, a wise man in comp things, so inadvertently went with the update, specially having so much delicate software.
I do these upgrades with a light heart because all I need is a word processor and my docs are in external disk and/or the cloud. Chess programs loaded OK and if not I would not have cared either.
BTW, LibreOffice is far better than the one you are using now.
Hope you can solve your troubles
a hug
Fern
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

fern wrote:Damn, Dan, yours was an experience worthy of appearing in Paradise Lost by Milton.
What I cannot understand is that you, a wise man in comp things, so inadvertently went with the update, specially having so much delicate software.
I do these upgrades with a light heart because all I need is a word processor and my docs are in external disk and/or the cloud. Chess programs loaded OK and if not I would not have cared either.
BTW, LibreOffice is far better than the one you are using now.
Hope you can solve your troubles
a hug
Fern
My tragic error was that I trusted in my own ability to repair things, should something go wrong.

Lesson learned.
The hard way.
fern

Post by fern »

Greeks in ancient times called that "hubrys".
I guess you will repair or recover.

Homer send his regards
Fern
Waschbaer

Post by Waschbaer »

Not only faster, ....

read more
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

Yes, I've turned off all those settings where there are privacy concerns (real or imagined). No big deal.
Vinvin
Full name: Vincent Lejeune

Post by Vinvin »

Modern Times wrote:Yes, I've turned off all those settings where there are privacy concerns (real or imagined). No big deal.
I read some days ago that it's impossible to turn all them off.
IWB

Post by IWB »

Hmm,

I upgraded 2 comps. One from W7 and one Netbook form W8.1.
The Netbook is missing the click-keys on the touchpad, but I am using this only with a mouse as i don't like touchpads. The only other "problem" I have is on the main computer. I have a little game from 2007 which I bought for 10€. The registration is not permanent anymore. I have to register after every restart - and then it works until the next shutdown and the programmer is not available anymore.

Open office and MS Visual Studio 2010 and 15 work without any change.
CB products had to be reregistered, done.

W10 here is actually really nice to look at and even Cortana is running - but just checked if it does, I don't think I need it today.

My guess is, that your undaubted "abbility to repair things" makes you "bend" many things in the original windows and now you have a problem. You can donwload the full W10 from MS and make a clean reinstall somehow, but you should investigate first how to keep your old registration of W7/8.

Anyone complaining about "privacy" should think about their iPhone or Android device ...

Best
Ingo