Windows 10 Update Poll

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

How many here will take the free upgrade to Windows 10 starting July 29th 2015?

Yes, I am taking the free upgrade.
41%
No, I will remain on a previous version of Windows.
44%
I don't use Windows.
15%

Total votes: 95

Modern Times

Re: Windows 10 Update Poll

Post by Modern Times »

SzG wrote:
I don't know what you mean by stability but I had no problems with Vista. I don't understand this whole hysteria about Vista, I liked it very much, in fact it's very much like Windows 7..
Yes I agree, Vista was fine for me and I liked it.

There was some negative feedback initially, and that just fed on itself and escalated, to the extent that mostly when I heard someone say "Vista is terrible" I asked if they had actually used it, and mostly the answer was no !!
Roger Brown

Post by Roger Brown »

Modern Times wrote:
SzG wrote:
I don't know what you mean by stability but I had no problems with Vista. I don't understand this whole hysteria about Vista, I liked it very much, in fact it's very much like Windows 7..
Yes I agree, Vista was fine for me and I liked it.

There was some negative feedback initially, and that just fed on itself and escalated, to the extent that mostly when I heard someone say "Vista is terrible" I asked if they had actually used it, and mostly the answer was no !!

Hello Ray,

I know exactly what that looks like.

The same thing happens when I ask its harshest critics about Winboard!

:twisted:

Later.
jdart

Post by jdart »

Vista was a resource hog. I used to work for VMWare. They had to double the memory for VMs that ran Vista, vs. some other Windows version.

--Jon
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

I am using Win7 with MS Security Essentials and Windows Defender both meant to keep my PC virus and malware free. No unwanted software on my PC, that's the promise MS made.

Then suddenly comes along GWX.EXE, it installs and runs itself putting an icon on my taskbar. Never gave MS permission to do so. When I remove GWX.EXE from the taskmanager it comes back in seconds. Then I uninstall the Windows update responsible for GWX.EXE and it is gone. Then after a week it's back again! Furthermore MS (again without my permission) installs a folder in the root on my C-drive called $Windows.~BT. When I delete the unwanted folder it's usually back in a few hours.

I would say Microsoft has become the world's largest malware producer.

One more reason (above what others already pointed out) why I would hesitate to install the free update, say you don't like it after all, or that the new functionality is not worth the money and so you uninstall and return to the previous version. What do you get back and how? I would read a few reviews first before installing it.
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

CNET: Microsoft Gets It Right

http://www.cnet.com/products/microsoft- ... 8069074183
Windows 10 delivers a refined, vastly improved vision for the future of computing with an operating system that's equally at home on tablets and traditional PCs -- and it's a free upgrade for most users.
Adam Hair

Post by Adam Hair »

Rebel wrote:I am using Win7 with MS Security Essentials and Windows Defender both meant to keep my PC virus and malware free. No unwanted software on my PC, that's the promise MS made.

Then suddenly comes along GWX.EXE, it installs and runs itself putting an icon on my taskbar. Never gave MS permission to do so. When I remove GWX.EXE from the taskmanager it comes back in seconds. Then I uninstall the Windows update responsible for GWX.EXE and it is gone. Then after a week it's back again! Furthermore MS (again without my permission) installs a folder in the root on my C-drive called $Windows.~BT. When I delete the unwanted folder it's usually back in a few hours.

I would say Microsoft has become the world's largest malware producer.

One more reason (above what others already pointed out) why I would hesitate to install the free update, say you don't like it after all, or that the new functionality is not worth the money and so you uninstall and return to the previous version. What do you get back and how? I would read a few reviews first before installing it.
There are other people who feel as you do:
http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/wind ... emove.html
kgburcham

Post by kgburcham »

ok I change my mind. I will stick with 8.1 for now. canceled my Newegg windows 10 order for $140. canceled my 750 Intel pcie ssd for $389 also. I will wait.

kgburcham
no chess program was born totally from one mind. all chess programs have many ideas from many minds.
stevenaaus

Post by stevenaaus »

It sounds like an improved GUI over Win8. But they are being typically [bad] about respecting people's simple rights.
(It's a laugh to here other people losing it instead of myself :))
[About the win7 upgrade icon]The moment you push me into a corner, you corporate pieces of crap, I will fight back with all I can, and you have just turned a loyal owner - and a shareholder - into an enemy. You have made me into a detractor. You have obliterated all and any chance of me ever wanting to even consider upgrading my Windows 7/8 boxes to the new version. You morons.

Now, we will have a tutorial explaining how you can disable this diarrhea, and get back control over your system.

You keep getting random generic Bing advertising, news shit, and the image of the day, all of which cater to the lowest common denominator, some random hillbilly somewhere with the IQ of a potato that has been mangled by a combine harvester and left to rot in the sun for a bit too long. Just look at that crap below. Look at it! Take your shitty moronic news and shove them where it shineth not.

Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

I've updated two machines now - one Windows 7, and one Windows 8.1. Very happy with the results.
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

Well it was nice this morning to say "Hey Cortana open Deep Fritz 14" and have it actually work while I was in the kitchen making coffee. :wink:
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."