Windows 10 Update Poll

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

How many here will take the free upgrade to Windows 10 starting July 29th 2015?

Yes, I am taking the free upgrade.
41%
No, I will remain on a previous version of Windows.
44%
I don't use Windows.
15%

Total votes: 95

stevenaaus

Re: Windows 10 Update Poll

Post by stevenaaus »

One big change is this - home users seem to be forced into automatic OS updates. Probably a very bad design decision imho.
http://betanews.com/2015/07/26/windows- ... -computer/
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

One hiccup I did encounter was that the install would not complete until I moved my paths back to there default locations on C:

Now that it has completed install I can change them back to D:

Before that I would just hit a blank screen and it would hang.
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Jimbo I wrote:
Vinvin wrote:
jsgroby wrote:Wondering how many people will be taking the free update to Windows 10 starting July 29th?
I will wait to see if everything is OK for other users.

Smart move. If I do decide to upgrade, I'll wait a few months so I'm not one of the guinea pigs.
Wise decision....same here....
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
jdart

Post by jdart »

I only have one Windows box and even that is dual boot with Linux. Maybe I'll upgrade it, maybe not. There is a general rule that every other major Windows release sucks. That was true for Windows 8 and Vista. So maybe 10 is a good one again.

--Jon
bob

Post by bob »

jdart wrote:I only have one Windows box and even that is dual boot with Linux. Maybe I'll upgrade it, maybe not. There is a general rule that every other major Windows release sucks. That was true for Windows 8 and Vista. So maybe 10 is a good one again.

--Jon
From a unix user running VI, regarding your statement above:

:%s/other//g
:wq

:)
bnemias

Post by bnemias »

It's hard to find any reason to want to install 10 on a desktop system. I guess if you like Cortana or the new browser or DX12... Apps are going to be a wasteland and everyone knows it. But I suppose you might have one that you can't live without.

But in general, here's what I tell people:
If you use a touch device and basically like Win8, then you will be happier with windows 8 than with windows 10.

If you are running windows 8.x and hate it because you use a keyboard + mouse, then windows 10 is better. However, windows 7 is far superior.

If you are running windows 7 and are on a keyboard + mouse, you are wasting significant effort and going through needless stress in trying to change. Stick with it.

Windows 10 is going to mine you for data and feed you ads. It's also going to force you down some MS vision of the future like it or not thanks to updates you can't disable. (Ok, paid versions don't do this, but this thread is about the gratis version) I won't use the word free... it's far far from free.
stevenaaus

Post by stevenaaus »

jdart wrote:There is a general rule that every other major Windows release sucks. That was true for Windows 8 and Vista. So maybe 10 is a good one again.

--Jon
Maybe "9" was the good one, but they skipped it :)
https://i.imgur.com/iHge6RJ.jpg
shrapnel

Post by shrapnel »

Not much point until chess engine programmers are able to tap into the massive power available in GPUs . The early(stone-age) video game programmers put all the load on the CPU.
Video games came into their own once the programmers learned to use the massive power available in GPUs.
Chess Programming is still practically in the Stone Age.
i7 5960X @ 4.1 Ghz, 64 GB G.Skill RipJaws RAM, Twin Asus ROG Strix OC 11 GB Geforce 2080 Tis
Jesse Gersenson

Post by Jesse Gersenson »

bob wrote:
jdart wrote:I only have one Windows box and even that is dual boot with Linux. Maybe I'll upgrade it, maybe not. There is a general rule that every other major Windows release sucks. That was true for Windows 8 and Vista. So maybe 10 is a good one again.

--Jon
From a unix user running VI, regarding your statement above:

:%s/other//g
:wq

:)
sed -e 's/even that is dual boot with/it only runs Linux/g' -e 's/upgrade it, maybe not/resize the partitions so Linux has more disk space/g'
jdart

Post by jdart »

I have reasons to run it:

1. It is is one of the platforms I develop for.

2. It runs apps I use almost every day and some of them do not make nice with Wine: notably Adobe Lightroom and Chessbase. I am not a purist. I run whatever works best for me.

--Jon