eval pieces

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Daniel Anulliero

eval pieces

Post by Daniel Anulliero »

I read somewhere (can't remember where exactly) It's better to have in our eval () separate functions for white and black

Code: Select all

For exemple:
eval_white_pawn ()
Eval_black_pawn ()
eval_white_knight ()
eval_black_knight ()
And so on...
Instead of :

eval_pawn ()
eval_knight ()
If it's better can you explain why?
Bests
Dany
bob

Re: eval pieces

Post by bob »

Daniel Anulliero wrote:I read somewhere (can't remember where exactly) It's better to have in our eval () separate functions for white and black

For exemple:
eval_white_pawn ()
Eval_black_pawn ()
eval_white_knight ()
eval_black_knight ()
And so on...
Instead of :

eval_pawn ()
eval_knight ()
Bests
Dany
Not sure why it would be good. You might eliminate a few branches by doing that, but you double the cache footprint. My program gained speed when I got rid of all the duplicated code for black and white. I don't have any, now.
Daniel Anulliero

Post by Daniel Anulliero »

bob wrote:
Daniel Anulliero wrote:I read somewhere (can't remember where exactly) It's better to have in our eval () separate functions for white and black

For exemple:
eval_white_pawn ()
Eval_black_pawn ()
eval_white_knight ()
eval_black_knight ()
And so on...
Instead of :

eval_pawn ()
eval_knight ()
Bests
Dany
Not sure why it would be good. You might eliminate a few branches by doing that, but you double the cache footprint. My program gained speed when I got rid of all the duplicated code for black and white. I don't have any, now.
iirc , it was marco costalba who recommended (somewhere in the forum) to make like that
Anyway , thanks for the answer !
jdart

Post by jdart »

It is less error-prone to have one set of code.

If you use C++ templates as Stockfish does, and use the side as the template argument, then the compiler (usually) will generate two functions, one for each side. If you have conditional code for Black/White in the function the unused branches will get optimized out. So this is a way to get the benefits of separate functions (performance-wise) while still consolidating most of the code in one place.

--Jon
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

In my experience efficient cache usage is the all-important factor in optimizing code. So I would never duplicate code just to safe a couple of branches.

Besides, I hardly ever need branches. If you have an stm variable that has value 0 or 1 (say), you can use (2*stm-1) to generate a factor +/-1 with which you can multiply an evaluation that you coded for the white point-of-view, or use it as an extra index to the piece list to acces black or white pieces, or calculate 16*stm-8 to generate a step in the forward direction, etc.
bob

Post by bob »

Daniel Anulliero wrote:
bob wrote:

For exemple:
eval_white_pawn ()
Eval_black_pawn ()
eval_white_knight ()
eval_black_knight ()
And so on...
Instead of :

eval_pawn ()
eval_knight ()
Bests
Dany
iirc , it was marco costalba who recommended (somewhere in the forum) to make like that
Anyway , thanks for the answer !
I think they do some of this via templates. You should test it, but I found one copy was faster than two. More cache friendly + only half as much code to read from memory into cache when you need it and it is not there.
bob

Post by bob »

hgm wrote:In my experience efficient cache usage is the all-important factor in optimizing code. So I would never duplicate code just to safe a couple of branches.

Besides, I hardly ever need branches. If you have an stm variable that has value 0 or 1 (say), you can use (2*stm-1) to generate a factor +/-1 with which you can multiply an evaluation that you coded for the white point-of-view, or use it as an extra index to the piece list to acces black or white pieces, or calculate 16*stm-8 to generate a step in the forward direction, etc.
I think worrying about branches today is pointless. In the evaluation, all the if (stm) branches will be correctly predicted by the correlated part of the branch predictor hardware. It will notice that there are "sets" of branches that all go the same way, and after the first few it will "get 'em all" every time anyway. I agree with you about cache. Doubling code is halving cache.
lucasart
Full name: lucasart

Post by lucasart »

For exemple:
eval_white_pawn ()
Eval_black_pawn ()
eval_white_knight ()
eval_black_knight ()
And so on...
Instead of :

eval_pawn ()
eval_knight ()
Bests
Dany
In my experience there's no yes/no answer in general to that question. It's not that clear cut, so don't listen to Bob and HGM's hand waving arguments about cache efficiency and branch-prediction.
=> Measure it yourself.

Sometimes the increased cache pressure is overkill, sometimes the saved branches are what matters. It's not obvious just by looking at the code. I've found some of Stockfish's templatizations to be useless and even counter-productive, but many of them are still beneficial.
  • In C++ it's pretty trivial to experiment. First write the code with a function parameter, then make that a template argument, and do some speed test of both versions (verify first that they are functionally equal, obviously).
  • In C you can do that with some ugly recursive inclusion and macros (see Robbolito).
  • But one thing you should NEVER do is duplicate code explicitely. It's a recipie for disaster and unmaintainable code (so easy to modify one without the other and endup with subtle asymmetric bugs).
Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.
bob

Post by bob »

lucasart wrote:

For exemple:
eval_white_pawn ()
Eval_black_pawn ()
eval_white_knight ()
eval_black_knight ()
And so on...
Instead of :

eval_pawn ()
eval_knight ()
Bests
Dany
In my experience there's no yes/no answer in general to that question. It's not that clear cut, so don't listen to Bob and HGM's hand waving arguments about cache efficiency and branch-prediction.
=> Measure it yourself.

Sometimes the increased cache pressure is overkill, sometimes the saved branches are what matters. It's not obvious just by looking at the code. I've found some of Stockfish's templatizations to be useless and even counter-productive, but many of them are still beneficial.
  • In C++ it's pretty trivial to experiment. First write the code with a function parameter, then make that a template argument, and do some speed test of both versions (verify first that they are functionally equal, obviously).
  • In C you can do that with some ugly recursive inclusion and macros (see Robbolito).
  • But one thing you should NEVER do is duplicate code explicitely. It's a recipie for disaster and unmaintainable code (so easy to modify one without the other and endup with subtle asymmetric bugs).
I can guarantee you that the if (wtm) type branches will be predicted perfectly after the first 10 are handled. So they are completely irrelevant. All that is left is cache issues. You should avoid topics you don't understand, just because you like to get in a personal dig here and there for unknown reasons.

If you look at the OP, it was about duplicated code for black and white. That is simply a bad idea for the very reasons HGM and I gave, regardless of your nonsensical comments to the contrary.

Many of us here have done this stuff enough that we don't give pointless advice. You should try that yourself.
sje

Post by sje »

The best way is to use a single routine for both colors; this will likely be faster, will certainly be easier to maintain, and will be less likely to attract bugs.

Symbolic doesn't have a side-to-move color variable stm. Instead, it has the color-on-the-move good and the color-not-on-the-move evil. I had thought about using the identifiers angel and demon.