Adam Hair's article on Pairwise comparison of engines

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

CRoberson

Adam Hair's article on Pairwise comparison of engines

Post by CRoberson »

Adam,

I scanned the article. Nice.

My thoughts concern: "There are 4851 pairs. The average matched move percentage was 45.16, the standard deviation of the data was 2.86. "

Looks like you included known clones/derivatives in the calculation of the standard deviation. I think their inclusion biases the standard deviation. Of course, it makes it smaller. Shouldn't the standard deviation be calculated without the known clones? It would make the number larger (maybe only slightly).
Dann Corbit

Re: Adam Hair's article on Pairwise comparison of engines

Post by Dann Corbit »

CRoberson wrote:Adam,

My thoughts concern: "There are 4851 pairs. The average matched move percentage was 45.16, the standard deviation of the data was 2.86. "

Looks like you included known clones/derivatives in the calculation of the standard deviation. I think their inclusion biases the standard deviation. Of course, it makes it smaller. Shouldn't the standard deviation be calculated without the known clones? It would make the number larger (maybe only slightly).
In order to do that you have to presuppose the result you hope to establish (assuming that you do not really know every single clone).

An interesting experiment would be to take known clones and see the match rate and standard deviations.

A further interesting experiment would be to find the highest match rate and standard deviations for engines known definitely not to be clones.

Without doing these experiments, I wonder what the controls are.
Adam Hair

Post by Adam Hair »

CRoberson wrote:Adam,

Thanks, Charles.
CRoberson wrote: My thoughts concern: "There are 4851 pairs. The average matched move percentage was 45.16, the standard deviation of the data was 2.86. "

Actually, their inclusion makes the standard deviation from the mean larger.
ernest

Post by ernest »

CRoberson wrote: I scanned the article.
Would be nice to know what article !!!
Robert Pope

Post by Robert Pope »

ernest

Post by ernest »

Thanks !
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Robert Pope wrote:I believe it is: http://www.top-5000.nl/clone.htm
Interesting to note that Rybka and Fruit don't show up as a pair to be suspicious about.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Graham Banks wrote:
Interesting to note that Rybka and Fruit don't show up as a pair to be suspicious about.
It's and indication but not more than that. The SYM tool pretty much with precision can detect a clone and even a close derivative. It can not proof an engine is clean.
Roger Brown

Post by Roger Brown »

Graham Banks wrote:

Hello Graham,

You should be cautious when referring to other works.

The information presented doesn't attempt to validate or invalidate suspicions, so it really isn't as interesting as you think it is.

Later

The need to avoid false accusation is greater than the need to determine authors who break the rules slightly. In other words, it is better to let lesser offenders slip through than to make accusations against innocent authors.

This tool should not be used solely for determining derivatives and clones. Other methods should be used in conjunction with this tool. Ultimately, any accusation of cloning requires an examination of the code of the accused author.
Norm Pollock

Post by Norm Pollock »

Adam,

Would it be unreasonable to test a 2nd copy of each engine to establish consistency?

I think you need to have some assurance that each engine is strongly consistent and will produce the same move from the same position the great majority of the time if given a 2nd chance.

After running a second version through the 8000+ positions, the 2 versions of each engine can be compared. If the versions don't have at least 95% matched moves, then I would not consider the engine consistent and possible disqualify the engine from the test.

-Norm