Komodo 9 update (9.01)

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

mjlef

Komodo 9 update (9.01)

Post by mjlef »

We are pleased to announce Komodo 9.01, which is free for all Komodo 9 buyers and subscribers. Just log into your Komodo account and redownload Komodo 9 to get the update. The update consists of these changes:

a. Komodo was modified to ignore GUIs that repeatedly send the same commands. This was done to deal with the Aquarium GUI, which repeatedly sends Chess 960 commands with each new move. When receiving these commands, Komodo 9 thought the game type was changing, and cleared its hash table, which reduced play quality. Now Komodo will just ignore all but the first identical command.

b. The sudden death time management was improved to minimize time forfeits.

c, The Windows 32 bit compile was modified to properly handle multiple threads.

Note to rating list testers: if you did not test with sudden death (increment = 0), did not use Aquarium during testing, and did not run Win 32 multiple threads, your testing results are still valid.

Users wanting the improved sudden death time allocation, users of Aquarium or users running Windows 32 with multiple threads will want to get this update. If none of these apply to you, then you can continue using Komodo 9.

I want to thank the users who reported the problems and helped test the changes.
FWCC

Re: Komodo 9 update (9.01)

Post by FWCC »

I do not see k9 update and you say for BUYERS AND SUBSCRIBERS.Maybe I have to look at my download link.I am a buyer not a subscriber.

Problem solved,just had to re-download as you said.Thank you!Good business model!

FWCC
Last edited by FWCC on Wed May 06, 2015 7:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lanzo

Post by Lanzo »

Thank you for your gracious demeanour towards the lively Komodo userbase. I would like to take this opportunity to point out that the binaries you provided for the Linux version of Komodo are both 64bit. One could have expected the generic binary to be 32bit. I would be immensely glad if you could compile a proper 32bit binary of Komodo for Linux and dub it as generic.

Evidence for the 64bit nature of komodo-9-generic:

Output of 'file komodo-9-generic' dumps out: "komodo-9-generic: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.24"
Hurnavich

Post by Hurnavich »

Looking good at T/M now guys been playing blitz 5 min in PP

A lot better thanks Komodo team for fast update..
"May your next game be your best"
Jesse Gersenson

Post by Jesse Gersenson »

@Lanzo Nazaire

You can run the 32-bit .exe file with wine:
wine komodo-9.01-32bit.exe
Lanzo

Post by Lanzo »

I am very well aware of that, but having a Linux executable makes everything much more convenient. Besides, loading it up with wine takes slightly more time, while if there was a 32bit Linux executable, it would load up instantly upon execution.
mjlef

Post by mjlef »

Lanzo wrote:Thank you for your gracious demeanour towards the lively Komodo userbase. I would like to take this opportunity to point out that the binaries you provided for the Linux version of Komodo are both 64bit. One could have expected the generic binary to be 32bit. I would be immensely glad if you could compile a proper 32bit binary of Komodo for Linux and dub it as generic.

Evidence for the 64bit nature of komodo-9-generic:

Output of 'file komodo-9-generic' dumps out: "komodo-9-generic: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.24"
I do not actually remember anyone requesting a 32 bit version for linux. We will consider it, but I would need to find an old linux in a 32 bit version to accurately test it. If there is a big enough demand that might influence me more. Note Komodo takes a big hit in speed when run in 32 bits, since it is a heavily bitmapped program. I will track this post for the next week and see how much interest it generates.
FWCC

Post by FWCC »

My Komodo 9.01 has lost four endgames from apparent blunders. I ruled out the TBS because they work fine in K8
.The position would be equal and then the only thing that I can call is a blunder occurs.Has anyone else experienced this?
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

FWCC wrote:My Komodo 9.01 has lost four endgames from apparent blunders. I ruled out the TBS because they work fine in K8
.The position would be equal and then the only thing that I can call is a blunder occurs.Has anyone else experienced this?
Can you provide some data, such as the GUI, the time limit, the approx. move number, roughly how much time was left, and whether you were already near or in a tablebase position? Also was it an internet game or not? If it was a game/1' or so, and you were already well past move 100, it might have moved in just 4 milliseconds (while Komodo 9 would have already forfeited) and this could easily cause blunders. But if it happened in an increment game, and is not table-base related, I have no clue.
Komodo rules!
stagehand

Post by stagehand »

We are pleased to announce Komodo 9.01, which is free for all Komodo 9 buyers and subscribers
I would like to thank the team for a quick update etc. However as someone who paid extra for this service (subscriber) should not I have been notified via email about the update rather than read about it in this forum?
When all is said and done not everyone who pays for the engine would read this forum.