Komodo 9 Announcement

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

RJN

Re: Komodo 9 Announcement

Post by RJN »

It appears that the Syzygy win/lose score now 250.00 (?)

from the readme:

A score of +317.99 indicates a tablebase win, while a score of -317.99 indicates a loss. A score of +0.02, 0 or -0.02 indicates a draw (+/- 0.02 is a draw which would be a win/loss if the 50-move rule were not in effect). In a tablebase position, Komodo will immediately return this score with a depth of 9.
sockmonkey

Post by sockmonkey »

The TB win/loss scores remain +-#1000 for root TB positions (8/k7/8/4Kn2/8/P7/8/1n6 b - - 0 1 with 5-man bases and 50-move rule disabled, for instance). For positions which involve TB WL hits during search (more pieces than N-man bases), +-250.00 is returned. Looks like the README is incorrect and needs some updating.
http://www.open-chess.org : Independent Computer Chess Discussion Forum
RJN

Post by RJN »

Is it possible K9 needs a "never clear hash" option with certain GUIs for persistent hash to function without being automatically cleared when an analysis starts? With Arena 3.5 in preliminary tests, I can't really see a difference in reaching a depth quicker from loading the hash vs starting a search from scratch after a reboot. The hash file does indeed get saved though.

Also, I'm unable to load persistent hash unless I first start an analysis and wait until 20 ply or so, stop the analysis, then load hash. This is from the starting position for testing.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but never has an issue with H4 loading the hash (which did have the "never clear hash button")

:?:
RJN

Post by RJN »

sockmonkey wrote:The TB win/loss scores remain +-#1000 for root TB positions (8/k7/8/4Kn2/8/P7/8/1n6 b - - 0 1 with 5-man bases and 50-move rule disabled, for instance). For positions which involve TB WL hits during search (more pieces than N-man bases), +-250.00 is returned. Looks like the README is incorrect and needs some updating.
FWIW, Arena 3.5 shows 318.00 for TB root wins/loses.
sockmonkey

Post by sockmonkey »

It's an Arena "bug". It shows the same for Houdini 4, as well, which also uses #1000.
http://www.open-chess.org : Independent Computer Chess Discussion Forum
mjlef

Post by mjlef »

Rob, we can look at this. I checked and Komodo does not clear the Hash when it gets a ucinewgame command. I think some earlier AArena version resend the Hash size to the engine everytime you close the engine settings dialog. And resizing the Hash (even the same size) does clear the Hash Table. But I think it is fixed in 3.5.

You can try using Arena 3.5. Hash is no longer in then Config screen by default. You have to access it via Engine Management - UCI where it is set under Common Hash Size. So as long as that option is checked, no hash clearing will happen when people just change some other parameter.

Which Arena do you have? They seem to have moved a few things like Hash and Threads to the Engine Management - UCI menu, although you can turn them off there and make them reappear in the Engine Configure dialog.
royb

Post by royb »

Is there an updated Komodo book? The website has one from 2011 in the early days of Komodo.

Thanks!
FWCC

Post by FWCC »

Congratulations Larry and Mark on producing such a world class engine!Komodo is No.1

Hurray for the K9 Unit."That's right boys let the Killer Dog out"

John
(FWCC)
mjlef

Post by mjlef »

SzG wrote:
ThatsIt wrote: You should add "Shredder-Classic" and "Arena" too.
And WinBoard.

I have a minor issue under Shredder. Overhead ms appears as 0, and after changing it it is still 0 in the engine file in the Engines directory. Have to edit the file manually to have the value changed.

I've made the Komodo team aware of it.
We tried a version with the "ms" part capitalized, but that does not seem to matter. I sent an email over the shredderchess to see what they could do.

Mark
IWB

Post by IWB »

I am not sure nor have I spoken to someone, but a GUI with a lag of 50s does have a problem somewhere else :-)

Give it a try with something below 32767. Maybe that works ...

REALY just a thought!

Bye
Ingo