Komodo 9 Announcement

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

APassionForCriminalJustic

Re: Komodo 9 Announcement

Post by APassionForCriminalJustic »

lkaufman wrote:Final result after 2000 games at 2' + 1" on single core against April 18 Stockfish was a loss by 15 elo points. However I'm currently running the same pairing at 10 times the time limit (20' + 10") and so far Komodo 9 leads by 101 to 89, which is +22 elo, but still within error margin. So it appears that K9 passes SF April 18 somewhere between 2 and twenty minutes (plus inc), although more games are needed to have confidence in this claim.
Larry, do you guys plan to release Komodo 9 right at midnight, at the very beginning of April 28th? Do you guys know approximately when?
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

APassionForCriminalJustic wrote:
lkaufman wrote:Final result after 2000 games at 2' + 1" on single core against April 18 Stockfish was a loss by 15 elo points. However I'm currently running the same pairing at 10 times the time limit (20' + 10") and so far Komodo 9 leads by 101 to 89, which is +22 elo, but still within error margin. So it appears that K9 passes SF April 18 somewhere between 2 and twenty minutes (plus inc), although more games are needed to have confidence in this claim.
Larry, do you guys plan to release Komodo 9 right at midnight, at the very beginning of April 28th? Do you guys know approximately when?
It is expected to be released about 8 am Berlin time (where our webmaster is) which I think is 2 am Eastern time.
Komodo rules!
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

Damir wrote:Hi Larry

Can either you or Marc put more parameters in Komodo, like pawn, Knight, Bishop, Rook and Queen value, like Sugar 5.1. If I remember this correctly one of the older version of Komodo or was it Doch had these parameters to tune and many more. Can you please put them back in Komodo 9 or later versions ?
There is a limit to how many UCI options some GUIs can handle. We could add a couple more, but not that many more without having to remove some other option or options, if we want Komodo to run perfectly on all major GUIs.
Komodo rules!
royb

Post by royb »

lkaufman wrote:

Can either you or Marc put more parameters in Komodo, like pawn, Knight, Bishop, Rook and Queen value, like Sugar 5.1. If I remember this correctly one of the older version of Komodo or was it Doch had these parameters to tune and many more. Can you please put them back in Komodo 9 or later versions ?
There is a limit to how many UCI options some GUIs can handle. We could add a couple more, but not that many more without having to remove some other option or options, if we want Komodo to run perfectly on all major GUIs.
Well, I went to the Komodo Chess website to register as a new user. Here's one for the Webmaster to work on: First name must be 4 or more characters. I have a problem with that since my first name has only 3 characters. I'll be happy to register when the website will allow me to do so. :-)
royb

Post by royb »

lkaufman wrote:

Well, I went to the Komodo Chess website to register as a new user. Here's one for the Webmaster to work on: First name must be 4 or more characters. I have a problem with that since my first name has only 3 characters. I'll be happy to register when the website will allow me to do so. :-)
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

Leto wrote:Komodo 9 does go through depths quicker thank K8, I like that a lot.

In this position on my 12 core machine with 5 piece syzygy installed K8 is at depth 27 at the 1 minute mark, and depth 30 at the 2 minute mark.

2r5/R1p2r1p/3pR1n1/2pN3k/2P2p1P/1P3P2/5KP1/8 b - - 0 43

Komodo 9 is at depth 30 at the 1 minute mark, and depth 32 at the 2 minute mark.

For analysis I prefer engines to go through depths quicker so that I see more activity on the analysis pane rather than staring at it waiting for it to produce results.

In comparison the April 26 2015 Stockfish dev version gets to depth 35 at the 1 minute mark, and depth 37 at the 2 minute mark. So in future releases I'd like to see Komodo continue to increase the speed at which it goes through depths.

I also like the addition of options to change Komodo's pruning, this might be helpful under certain situations such as correspondence play or solving tactical positions. Also the persistent hash feature is very welcome.

I will begin testing for CEGT now on my 12 core machine.
It is also my hope that we increase the speed at which Komodo goes thru the depths, of course subject to not losing elo points. But so far all attempts to match the depths reached by Stockfish have lost lots of elo points. You can make Komodo 9 reach SF-like depths by setting the reduction parameter to a fairly large positive value (maybe something like 50 or so), but it will get weaker. We haven't yet figured out how SF reaches those depths without losing elo points. Maybe we will.
Komodo rules!
mjlef

Post by mjlef »

royb wrote:
lkaufman wrote:

I did not know that. Thanks for letting us know. Your information was forwarded to our webmaster.
Jesse Gersenson

Post by Jesse Gersenson »

Roy three letter first names will are now accepted.
JJJ

Post by JJJ »

8 am in europe will be a boom on your website ? I hope so :)
APassionForCriminalJustic

Post by APassionForCriminalJustic »

JJJ wrote:8 am in europe will be a boom on your website ? I hope so :)
Yeah they should add some cool party music!!!!