Stockfish with 16 threads --- big news?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

zullil
Full name: Louis Zulli

Stockfish with 16 threads --- big news?

Post by zullil »

Looks like a patch submitted by Joona has generated a 50 point ELO gain for Stockfish running 16 threads. So perhaps a big step forward in Stockfish's multi-threaded searching. Seems very promising.

http://tests.stockfishchess.org/tests/v ... 3e9fac133b
Lyudmil Tsvetkov

Re: Stockfish with 16 threads --- big news?

Post by Lyudmil Tsvetkov »

zullil wrote:Looks like a patch submitted by Joona has generated a 50 point ELO gain for Stockfish running 16 threads. So perhaps a big step forward in Stockfish's multi-threaded searching. Seems very promising.

Hope it will not pass, as otherwise I will not play your 16-core SF. :shock:
styx

Post by styx »

sounds very promising :D
Jouni

Post by Jouni »

Yes Komodo 9 with +20 ELO will be in very bad trouble. And there is already some +10 ELO patch after SF6 - unbelievable :shock: .
Jouni
lucasart
Full name: lucasart

Post by lucasart »

zullil wrote:Looks like a patch submitted by Joona has generated a 50 point ELO gain for Stockfish running 16 threads. So perhaps a big step forward in Stockfish's multi-threaded searching. Seems very promising.

Yes, this is huge!

Note that the test was auto-purged (chi-square test failed) twice.

Initially we had:
* bravone: 0 elo
* glinscott: +20 elo
* fastgm, bking: +50 elo

The chi-square test failed, and gave bravone as worst offender:
* glinscott: +20 elo

And the chi-square test failed again, giving glinscott as worst offender. So we're left with:

I don't know what's wrong with these machines. Could be OS or hardware. The only thing we know is the OS:
* bravone: Windows 2008 (old)
* glinscott: Linux 2.6.32 (old)
* fastgm: Linux 3.16 (recent)
* bking: Windows 8 (recent)

In other words the machines with modern OS saw a massive gain, while the others not so much (no gain on Windows 2008, and "only" 20 elo on an old Linux). But maybe the OS is a red herring, and it's about the hardware. I don't know. We can only speculate at this point.
Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.
styx

Post by styx »

is the smp patch a regression for one core? or am I reading the test results wrong
Michel

Post by Michel »

is the smp patch a regression for one core? or am I reading the test results wrong
That's extremely unlikely given that it is a non-functional change on one core. It's probably just an unlucky run.

EDIT: Actually checking again I see that the test wasn't even finished. Never draw conclusions from an unfinished test (statistics 101).
Ideas=science. Simplification=engineering.
Without ideas there is nothing to simplify.
Vinvin
Full name: Vincent Lejeune

Post by Vinvin »

styx wrote:is the smp patch a regression for one core? or am I reading the test results wrong
Yes, -1.8 after 32K games. That means -2% speed.
May be it's possible to reorganize "IF" conditions to not lose speed with nb threads = 1 :?
Joerg Oster

Post by Joerg Oster »

Michel wrote:
That's extremely unlikely given that it is a non-functional change on one core. It's probably just an unlucky run.

EDIT: Actually checking again I see that the test wasn't even finished. Never draw conclusions from an unfinished test (statistics 101).
Though it is a non-functional change on one core, I experience a small slowdown on my box.
But I guess even a small elo-loss on one core of 1 or 2 elo would be acceptable, given the huge gain for 16 cores. 8-)
Jörg Oster
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Lyudmil Tsvetkov wrote:

Hope it will not pass, as otherwise I will not play your 16-core SF. :shock:
:shock:

:wink:
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….