Chess for Android v5.0: Time Control

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

abik
Full name: Aart Bik

Chess for Android v5.0: Time Control

Post by abik »

After some delay, I finally released version 5.0 of Chess for Android, available on Google Play or as direct download. New features include:
  • * Time control to define a chess clock for both sides with a choice between the number of moves between time control (possibly the full game), thinking time per time control, and an optional time increment per move.
    * Double engine analysis lines during tournaments, especially useful with pondering on.
    * Re-factored a lot of the engine handling code, with improved cleanup of hanging engines.
This is a relatively major release, so please let me know if you encounter any issues. Also, as usual, suggestions for improvements are welcome.
abik

Re: Chess for Android v5.0: Time Control

Post by abik »

mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Post by mclane »

very cool aart. Thank you very much !!!
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
cc2150dx
Full name: Jason Coombs

Post by cc2150dx »

Thanks for the new release!

Greatly appreciated :)
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

abik wrote:After some delay, I finally released version 5.0 of Chess for Android, available on Google Play or as direct download. New features include:
  • * Time control to define a chess clock for both sides with a choice between the number of moves between time control (possibly the full game), thinking time per time control, and an optional time increment per move.
    * Double engine analysis lines during tournaments, especially useful with pondering on.
    * Re-factored a lot of the engine handling code, with improved cleanup of hanging engines.
This is a relatively major release, so please let me know if you encounter any issues. Also, as usual, suggestions for improvements are welcome.
Thanks for the update :) .
New TC works fine, I use 10' + 30" inc, ponder on between Deuterium and Crafty. Engine thinking info looks great, and only ponder move from uci engine is shown.
Unfortunately the crafty logs were not deleted when using Cleanup logs command.

I have chessbase online and Deep Fritz 14 is there. It appears in CFA import engine list as df14. There are actually two df14 that are shown in the list. When I import those, one is Fritz.14 and the other is Fritz.14.PIE. Both however do not work with "engine failed to start" message. When I tried to uninstall those, the engines do not appear in the uninstall engine list. I did not install those engines in CFA, those engines just appeared in engine import list. In Pgn master pro gui, df14 works. But in chessbase online gui, sometimes df14 will not run.

MY tab has 4-cores on Kitkat , would it be possible for CFA to continue the tournament even if I am doing some other things like internet browsing.
Carlos777

Post by Carlos777 »

Thanks for the new version Aart.

I am testing with incremental time control. I notice after the last opening book move, the clock is not running for the engine who has to make the first move out of the book. After the engine makes its move, the clock starts running normally for both.
Gurcan Uckardes

Post by Gurcan Uckardes »

I could not install via Google Play. Package not correctly signed thing...
It seems there's something wrong with Android 4.1.2 while Kitkat is ok, as some of you had it installed.
Could someone install on 4.1.X?
My blog for Android users: http://chesstroid.blogspot.com
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

Carlos777 wrote:Thanks for the new version Aart.

I am testing with incremental time control. I notice after the last opening book move, the clock is not running for the engine who has to make the first move out of the book. After the engine makes its move, the clock starts running normally for both.
I agree, and this happened only when using external book or pgn files. Using built-in books and random book, the clocks are all right.
abik

Post by abik »

Gurcan Uckardes wrote:I could not install via Google Play. Package not correctly signed thing...
Strange this problem only occurs for some, not others. In any case, I put a newly signed version under 5.0.1. Could you please retry and report back?
abik

Post by abik »

Carlos777 wrote:Thanks for the new version Aart.

Glad it is being tested so thoroughly right away. The "start clock on first move" was by design, but I agree it is a bit strange in this situation. Keep the reports coming!