help me in the csvn tournament

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

flok

Re: help me in the csvn tournament

Post by flok »

Modern Times wrote:OK, but the CPU doesn't get above about 16% across 8 cores, meaning the overall load is about 1 core only. Same situation on the other 6-cpu box.
No idea why it is happening.
The screendump shows that it detected 8 cores and also started 8 threads (you see 8 worker results).
Really odd.
Would pthreads under cygwin require something special?
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

flok wrote:[Would pthreads under cygwin require something special?
No idea, I don't know anything about either of those.
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

Looks like Windows machines are no good to you, it clearly isn't working properly. On this 6-core box I'm seeing lots of screen output, but barely 1% CPU use.
flok

Post by flok »

Modern Times wrote:Looks like Windows machines are no good to you, it clearly isn't working properly. On this 6-core box I'm seeing lots of screen output, but barely 1% CPU use.
A friend sees 10-20% cpu on windows with 5k moves per second while my desktop does 34k per core.
Weird.
But everything helps! Even small counts.
flok

Post by flok »

Modern Times wrote:Looks like Windows machines are no good to you, it clearly isn't working properly. On this 6-core box I'm seeing lots of screen output, but barely 1% CPU use.
I had an epiphany: every time it calcs on a move, it first emits how long it is going to calculate.
What value do you see there?
It should be > 800ms, if not then maybe the clock of your pc is a bit off.
This often happens if it syncs against time.windows.com which is notoriously bad in time keeping.
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

I've booted this machine off a Ubuntu Live CD (typing this message under it). I'll see if I can run it that way
flok

Post by flok »

Modern Times wrote:I've booted this machine off a Ubuntu Live CD (typing this message under it). I'll see if I can run it that way
According to google the live cd does a time sync at start. That may help.
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

Much better -top shows up to about 385 percent CPU use, so the equivalent of 4 cores loaded of the six. Varies a bit, sometimes 200 percent.
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

No nearly so good today on the Linux Live CD, CPU usage pretty low, and string time 100-150
Joost Buijs

Post by Joost Buijs »

I tried to run your executable on one of my Windows boxes and I have the same issue here. CPU usage < 1%.
The OS time was about 2 seconds off, I synchronized with nl.pool.ntp.org and that hardly made any difference.
There is clearly something broken in the Windows executable.

I would have liked to help you a little bit during the tourney, but as it is now it doesn't seem very useful.