Why are there no women at Computer Chess Club??

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

reflectionofpower

Re: Why are there no women at Computer Chess Club??

Post by reflectionofpower »

Sean Evans wrote:
Uri Blass wrote:I am not sure that there are no women.
I have no way to detect the gender of people in this club and it is clearly possible that people write without using their real name.
Hello, Alice Blass :lol:
heehee, excuse me, hmm,ahh, my high heels are bothering me, I just bought them at the store. They are fractal green (http://bit.ly/1tMJ3KL). I wear them when I play chess, it's weird. heehee. You can call me Lonnia.
"Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken." (Dune - 1984)

Lonnie
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

Terry McCracken wrote:
Robert Flesher wrote:There was in the past. If my memory serves, Chessfun, was Sarah Bird, and she was very active on the old forum.
She was 27 years old with a child over ten years ago. She stopped abruptly with no warning. Does chessbase know what happened? She just went off the grid, without warning.

I couldn't locate her in Barrie On Canada, under the name Sarah Bird.
No one left so abruptly and with no warning as marie something. I think she didn't even open the forum of ctf or ccc again even from a different computer. Seems she regretted ever having begun. (or maybe her boyfriend gave her an ultimatum to leave immeadiately? and she did so with a vengeance as a last post)
Sedat Canbaz

Post by Sedat Canbaz »

Sean Evans wrote::?: :?:

Women play chess and use computer chess software!!
Just my 2 cents over this issue,

Why there are no women/girls at Computer Chess:
1) Simply because almost all of them have no interest in chess engines, mostly of them even hate (who's partner is in Computerchess)...!!
2) Computer chess looks like a 'Army' (based mainly on men), this can be another reason too )))
3) Women stay far... and with their behavior they think that maybe one day their men partners will stay far from Computerchess too ))!!
reflectionofpower

Ada Lovelace & Ida Rhodes (http://bit.ly/1jMtizA) must be rolling over in their plots of eternal rest by now.
"Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken." (Dune - 1984)

Lonnie
Sedat Canbaz

Post by Sedat Canbaz »

One thing more,
Even I can say our hobby (Computer chess) is not much popular ...

How many there are active users/members in Computer chess ??
I guess minus plus 2000-3000 thousands...is this 'number' means a lot ?

Note that the World's population is more than 7 billion !
reflectionofpower

Sedat Canbaz wrote:One thing more,

This is very true. I tell people I am into Computer chess programs,etc and they look at me like I didn't even say anything.

Lonnie
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

reflectionofpower wrote:
Sedat Canbaz wrote:One thing more,

This is very true. I tell people I am into Computer chess programs,etc and they look at me like I didn't even say anything.
I thought the main hobby/occupation is chess.
Computerchess is to program computers,
But those who use them, aren't they meant to be more interested in the actual chess? And as a result of that, they are interested in the chess playing computers too?

("Look at you like you didn't even say anything"? That's interesting. When i was "into" violin teaching and i said that i was doing some violin teaching, i also felt it was like i said nothing. Maybe some people thought i was rich, or ought to be. Indeed, i agree there is absolutely no money in violin teaching, unless you devote your life to grabbing money (atleast $50 every half hour) and teach non stop the whole day. Also, to have a teachers diploma (which would be the right thing but isn't necesary to do the job well).
Last edited by S.Taylor on Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
fern

Post by fern »

Hope you has got over the problems.
I have been in many and every time I have one I repeat to myself that old British saying, "wait till the clouds go bye..."

Fern
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

fern wrote:Hope you has got over the problems.
I have been in many and every time I have one I repeat to myself that old British saying, "wait till the clouds go bye..."

Fern
Yes, fine thanks!
RolandoFurioso

Post by RolandoFurioso »

Sean Evans wrote::?: :?:

Women play chess and use computer chess software!!
In fact, there are some, but admittedly very few, women who actively contrbute, or contributed, to the field of computer chess. Just browse down this list: http://chessprogramming.wikispaces.com/People

Moreover, there are some very famous ladies who are well known for their pioneering work in the computer programming field. What would we do without the computer bug, which was invented (or perhaps better: discovered ;-) ) by legendary Grace Hopper? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grace_Hopper