Idea of different history

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

cdani

Idea of different history

Post by cdani »

Hi!
I thought about an idea of a different type of history. Is about maintaining a history of squares that are more often attacked, regardless of the piece that attacks it. Or maybe can be combined with the piece that attacks it, no matter from which square.
For example in the Benoni often the objective of black pieces is the pawn on e4.

One possibility is to add a bonus for ordering the move higher in the list only when one of the attacked squares is one of the most attackeds.

Sure it will be a little slower than the standard history of piece-to square, because of the number of attacked squares, but may be is worth a try.
Also this history can have some expiration mechanism to avoid interference of past plans that they have no sense anymore.

May be someone has think about this before, but I did not see anywhere.
Ferdy

Re: Idea of different history

Post by Ferdy »

cdani wrote:Hi!
I thought about an idea of a different type of history. Is about maintaining a history of squares that are more often attacked, regardless of the piece that attacks it. Or maybe can be combined with the piece that attacks it, no matter from which square.
For example in the Benoni often the objective of black pieces is the pawn on e4.

One possibility is to add a bonus for ordering the move higher in the list only when one of the attacked squares is one of the most attackeds.

Sure it will be a little slower than the standard history of piece-to square, because of the number of attacked squares, but may be is worth a try.
Also this history can have some expiration mechanism to avoid interference of past plans that they have no sense anymore.

May be someone has think about this before, but I did not see anywhere.
One of those principles is to attack those empty squares that matters. Example the 4 central squares, squares near opp king, and even squares near own king for protection. Generally the pawn structure dictates how to continue the game, i.e pawn structures from sicilian, benoni, french, slav and others. I will try this at some point in my development, thanks.