Play Magnus: official App with Chess Engine

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Edsel Apostol
Full name: Edsel Apostol

Re: bout this app" page says "Chess engine develop

Post by Edsel Apostol »

Tord Romstad wrote:
JuLieN wrote:"Chess engine developed by Tord Romstad." ;)
True, that's what I've been working on the last few months. I've just returned from the launch party. :)

Basically, the chess engine is a modified version of Glaurung (not Stockfish, since that wouldn't have been possible for copyright reasons) with some improvements and adjustments to make its style a little more similar to Magnus', and special opening libraries for each level, based on the games Magnus played around that age.
It seems like a great app! Good to see you back doing chess engine programming. Looking forward to have it on the Android.
AdminX

Re: Play Magnus: official App with Chess Engine

Post by AdminX »

I was not going to even try this app, that is until I just found out that Tord was involved! :lol: I have now installed the iPhone version on my iPad. Beat the 5 and 7 year old personalities and working my way up the ladder. The 10 year will most likely wipe the floor with me. 8-) Are there any plans to create an iPad version? I have not looked at the training modes yet. Still it looks fun. I plan on using this with my youngest son (Age 2) when I start teaching him to play chess. Thanks for sharing this.
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by casaschi »

Tord Romstad wrote:
JuLieN wrote:"Chess engine developed by Tord Romstad." ;)
True, that's what I've been working on the last few months. I've just returned from the launch party. :)

Basically, the chess engine is a modified version of Glaurung (not Stockfish, since that wouldn't have been possible for copyright reasons) with some improvements and adjustments to make its style a little more similar to Magnus', and special opening libraries for each level, based on the games Magnus played around that age.
Congratulations!
The google translation of this Norwegian article make you a millionaire by now ;-)
http://www.dn.no/forsiden/etterBors/article2772522.ece
"Play Magnus" has so far cost more than three million dollars to develop, but is free to download from Apple's appstore.

- Most of these are one-time costs to develop chess engine behind the app, says Brandt.
I suspect though this might just be a marketing exaggeration... :-(
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

What the article fails to point out is that Tord had to pay this M$ 3 himself, in terms of freely donated man hours. :lol:
casaschi

Post by casaschi »

hgm wrote:What the article fails to point out is that Tord had to pay this M$ 3 himself, in terms of freely donated man hours. :lol:
Makes sense: that's how Carlsen can afford to give the app away for free. ;-)
Tord Romstad

Post by Tord Romstad »

AdminX wrote:The 10 year will most likely wipe the floor with me. 8-)
10 years is where I'm beginning to struggle, too. :)

Here's a video of Magnus himself playing a quick game to entertain the audience during yesterday's launch party:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncSH8OUT ... youtu.be&a

Unfortunately, the poor quality of the video makes it hard to see the white pieces clearly. Magnus lost after making a speculative and probably unsound bishop sacrifice on f7 in a Ragozin Queen's Gambit. He would probably have won by playing more solidly, but he was more concerned about making the game entertaining for the audience (most of whom were not serious chess players) than about trying to win.
Are there any plans to create an iPad version?
Everything depends on funding. If the app generates enough income and/or they succeed in finding investors, development will continue. Based on what I've heard, an iPad version probably has lower priority than an Android version at the moment, but both may very well happen.

This being said, I think the current iPhone version works very well on the iPad.
I have not looked at the training modes yet. Still it looks fun. I plan on using this with my youngest son (Age 2) when I start teaching him to play chess.
That is precisely the kind of use case we had in mind when designing the app. It's evidently not the type of app an experienced chess player would use for analysis or preparation. It's designed to be a fun opponent for beginners, casual players, and Magnus Carlsen fans all over the world.
Thanks for sharing this.
Thanks for your kind words, too! :)
Tord Romstad

Post by Tord Romstad »

casaschi wrote: Congratulations!
Thanks! It's been a fun project to work on.
The google translation of this Norwegian article make you a millionaire by now ;-)
http://www.dn.no/forsiden/etterBors/article2772522.ece
"Play Magnus" has so far cost more than three million dollars to develop, but is free to download from Apple's appstore.

- Most of these are one-time costs to develop chess engine behind the app, says Brandt.
I suspect though this might just be a marketing exaggeration... :-(
That's a pretty weird translation by Google: The Norwegian original says "tre millioner kroner", which Google somehow manages to translate into "three million dollars", which is six times more (a Norwegian krone is worth $0.166 at the current exhange rate). Still a pretty big sum, but only a small fraction of it is mine. :)
fern

Post by fern »

Ok, I suppose I was left behind...anyway I have a tablet -which I never use- that could play it, then....at last a use for that contrivance....

Fern
Mike S.

Post by Mike S. »

Interesting! I have two questions:

1. Is the "Magnus Simulation" independant from hardware speed?

2. Is THAT?! :mrgreen: the only piece set (I hope not)?

Thx
Regards, Mike
Steve Maughan

Post by Steve Maughan »

Hi Tord,
Tord Romstad wrote:(...) only a small fraction of it is mine.
I'm delighted you're finally seeing a monetary return from all of your hard work!

Long may it continue!

Steve
http://www.chessprogramming.net - Maverick Chess Engine