Play Magnus: official App with Chess Engine

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

JuLieN
Full name: Julien Marcel

Play Magnus: official App with Chess Engine

Post by JuLieN »

Magnus Carlsen just released on the App Store a free application. Here's what he says about it on Facebook :
Remember a few weeks ago I gave you a hint about something I was working on? I’m excited to say that the time has come!
Introducing, Play Magnus!
PlayMagnus is a free iOS app, that includes a chess engine tuned to play like me at different ages, training videos and the chance to play me live! I really care about helping the chess community bring our game to more people around the world, with a particular focus on young people. Play Magnus is my first step in helping us achieve that goal.
And here's the App's description on the Appstore :
Want to test your chess skills against the World Champion of Chess? Now you can! Play Magnus offers you the opportunity to play chess against the official Magnus Carlsen "tuned" chess engine and gives you the chance to qualify to play Magnus Carlsen Live at a secret location! Play Magnus on your iPhone and iPod Touch - it's free!

Play Magnus supports 1 player gameplay, while future versions will offer multiplayer functionality.

In the mean time, test your skills against challenging the Magnus Carlsen computer opponent and share with your friends to earn additional points!

Play Magnus offers exciting features, including:
- Magnus Carlsen tuned chess engine with general functionality
- Sharing functions
- About Magnus Carlsen updates
- Exclusive chess training with Magnus Carlsen approved problems
- Exclusive video content of Magnus Carlsen
- Chance to qualify to Play Magnus Live at a secret location annually

Play Magnus is supported by unobtrusive advertising. By upgrading Play Magnus, you get the same great app without the ads.

Appstore Link: https://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/play-ma ... mpt=uo%3D2
"The only good bug is a dead bug." (Don Dailey)
[Blog: http://tinyurl.com/predateur ] [Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/fbpredateur ] [MacEngines: http://tinyurl.com/macengines ]
mwyoung

Re: Play Magnus: official App with Chess Engine

Post by mwyoung »

JuLieN wrote:Magnus Carlsen just released on the App Store a free application. Here's what he says about it on Facebook :
Remember a few weeks ago I gave you a hint about something I was working on? I’m excited to say that the time has come!
Introducing, Play Magnus!
PlayMagnus is a free iOS app, that includes a chess engine tuned to play like me at different ages, training videos and the chance to play me live! I really care about helping the chess community bring our game to more people around the world, with a particular focus on young people. Play Magnus is my first step in helping us achieve that goal.
And here's the App's description on the Appstore :
Want to test your chess skills against the World Champion of Chess? Now you can! Play Magnus offers you the opportunity to play chess against the official Magnus Carlsen "tuned" chess engine and gives you the chance to qualify to play Magnus Carlsen Live at a secret location! Play Magnus on your iPhone and iPod Touch - it's free!

Play Magnus supports 1 player gameplay, while future versions will offer multiplayer functionality.

In the mean time, test your skills against challenging the Magnus Carlsen computer opponent and share with your friends to earn additional points!

Play Magnus offers exciting features, including:
- Magnus Carlsen tuned chess engine with general functionality
- Sharing functions
- About Magnus Carlsen updates
- Exclusive chess training with Magnus Carlsen approved problems
- Exclusive video content of Magnus Carlsen
- Chance to qualify to Play Magnus Live at a secret location annually

Play Magnus is supported by unobtrusive advertising. By upgrading Play Magnus, you get the same great app without the ads.

Appstore Link: https://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/play-ma ... mpt=uo%3D2

I already have a app that lets me dumb down the computers play. I will play stockfish against the Magnus computer. To see if I can win a chance to play the real Magnus. :)
"The worst thing that can happen to a forum is a running wild attacking moderator(HGM) who is not corrected by the community." - Ed Schröder
But my words like silent raindrops fell. And echoed in the wells of silence.
JuLieN
Full name: Julien Marcel

bout this app" page says "Chess engine developed

Post by JuLieN »

mwyoung wrote:I already have a app that lets me dumb down the computers play. I will play stockfish against the Magnus computer. To see if I can win a chance to play the real Magnus. :)
Hehe, sounds dirty. ;)

BTW, the "About This App" page says : "Chess engine developed by Tord Romstad." ;)

7-years old Magnus just found a way to get perpetual check against distracted me... :oops:
"The only good bug is a dead bug." (Don Dailey)
[Blog: http://tinyurl.com/predateur ] [Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/fbpredateur ] [MacEngines: http://tinyurl.com/macengines ]
fern

Post by fern »

As always , no PC version.

Still i will NOT purchase nothing to Aple
Tord Romstad

Post by Tord Romstad »

mwyoung wrote:I will play stockfish against the Magnus computer. To see if I can win a chance to play the real Magnus. :)
You're joking, but in case there are other players who seriously planning to do the same thing, let me warn you that all games are uploaded to our databases, and will be analysed for signs of computer assistance in case of suspicion.
Tord Romstad

Re: bout this app" page says "Chess engine develop

Post by Tord Romstad »

JuLieN wrote:"Chess engine developed by Tord Romstad." ;)
True, that's what I've been working on the last few months. I've just returned from the launch party. :)

Basically, the chess engine is a modified version of Glaurung (not Stockfish, since that wouldn't have been possible for copyright reasons) with some improvements and adjustments to make its style a little more similar to Magnus', and special opening libraries for each level, based on the games Magnus played around that age.
Tord Romstad

Post by Tord Romstad »

fern wrote:As always , no PC version.
Few people play chess on PCs these days, and I'm afraid a PC version doesn't have a very high priority at the moment. An Android version may happen in the not too distant future, though.
yanquis1972

Post by yanquis1972 »

Tord Romstad wrote:
fern wrote:As always , no PC version.
Few people play chess on PCs these days, and I'm afraid a PC version doesn't have a very high priority at the moment. An Android version may happen in the not too distant future, though.
ports are really that difficult? i dont understand why chrome cant run a lot of these things natively, but i guess thats neither here nor there.
gerold

Post by gerold »

Nice. Thanks for the info. Julien.

Best,
Gerold.
IGarcia

Re: bout this app" page says "Chess engine develop

Post by IGarcia »

JuLieN wrote:
mwyoung wrote:I already have a app that lets me dumb down the computers play. I will play stockfish against the Magnus computer. To see if I can win a chance to play the real Magnus. :)
Hehe, sounds dirty. ;)

BTW, the "About This App" page says : "Chess engine developed by Tord Romstad." ;)

7-years old Magnus just found a way to get perpetual check against distracted me... :oops:
Cheater!

What else do you expect from someone who quotes a giant post only to do a one line comment :roll: