Which are the chess engines written from scratch ?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Sedat Canbaz

Re: Which are the chess engines written from scratch ?

Post by Sedat Canbaz »

michiguel wrote: Ok, I see, for your tournament (your rules) you are looking for a certain type of engines whose names are not attached to anything in the past, regardless if they are legit or not, or even if it is the same author (correct me if I am wrong). Clearly, when the author is the same, there should be no problem, but not in your case. Hey, people decide to include or exclude engines for a variety of reasons... that is fine. Then, yes, Dirty is related to EveAnn/Buzz (same author/s), Arminius to Hermann (same author), and you may like to take a look at Murka because it is not clear it did not started as Belka/Strelka (there was a little bit of controversy when it was released). Movei is not considered a derivative of TSCP, but at the beginning Uri declared that started it studying TSCP and played with it until it removed all the code. You may like to talk to him.

Miguel
Thanks for the valuable information dear Miguel !

Yes...I plan to include only the engines which are written from scratch
And of course only one participant per engine programmer

Hmm...so Murka and Movei are not clear about they are written from scratch or not ....?!
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Sedat Canbaz wrote:.........which are those chess engines written especially from scratch ?
And how we can be sure that they are really started from scratch ?
Good luck getting with that answered accurately. :)
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Sedat Canbaz

Post by Sedat Canbaz »

Graham Banks wrote:
Sedat Canbaz wrote:.........which are those chess engines written especially from scratch ?
And how we can be sure that they are really started from scratch ?
Good luck getting with that answered accurately. :)
Yes dear Graham,...

To know and to answer... we need urgently a doping control officer :)
phenri

Post by phenri »

https://chessprogramming.wikispaces.com/Glaurung

Glaurung 2.2 src+bin

Code: Select all

https://github.com/mpurland/glaurung/archive/1ac8827b1f0bf60de2c390d9e855980943ca4be5.zip
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

Sedat Canbaz wrote:
michiguel wrote: Ok, I see, for your tournament (your rules) you are looking for a certain type of engines whose names are not attached to anything in the past, regardless if they are legit or not, or even if it is the same author (correct me if I am wrong). Clearly, when the author is the same, there should be no problem, but not in your case. Hey, people decide to include or exclude engines for a variety of reasons... that is fine. Then, yes, Dirty is related to EveAnn/Buzz (same author/s), Arminius to Hermann (same author), and you may like to take a look at Murka because it is not clear it did not started as Belka/Strelka (there was a little bit of controversy when it was released). Movei is not considered a derivative of TSCP, but at the beginning Uri declared that started it studying TSCP and played with it until it removed all the code. You may like to talk to him.

Miguel
Thanks for the valuable information dear Miguel !

Yes...I plan to include only the engines which are written from scratch
And of course only one participant per engine programmer

Hmm...so Murka and Movei are not clear about they are written from scratch or not ....?!
I will explain what I did with movei
I did not srart from another engine and modified it(like all the programs that are considered to be clones) but
you can decide that I did not write it from scratch.

1)I started by copying some names of variables and name of functions from tscp but at that point I had no working code(only variables and empty functions and few arrays when I needed to add code for it).

2)I added my own code to make my original legal move generator
and I worked on fixing bugs that I found in it and improving the speed of the program when I use perft to debug it.

3)I added piece square table evaluation that is of course not part of tscp
and is practically worse than tscp evaluation because it did not have knowledge about pawn structure or king safety.

4)I added code to use the alpha beta algorithm based on tscp when I also added some pruning when the remaining depth is small.

This was the first version and later I improved the search and the evaluation.

In the last versions I clearly used ideas from fruit.
For example old movei evaluated mobility based on the number of the legal moves and I changed the code to give a bigger weight to knight moves or bishop moves based on the ideas from fruit.
Another example is that fruit use average between opening function and endgame function based on the stage of the game.

I did not have this idea in movei and changed it to have average between opening and endgame evaluation because I learned it from fruit.

Fabien did not invent this idea but I did not know earlier that this idea is a good idea.
Sedat Canbaz

Post by Sedat Canbaz »

Uri Blass wrote: I will explain what I did with movei
I did not srart from another engine and modified it(like all the programs that are considered to be clones) but
you can decide that I did not write it from scratch.

1)I started by copying some names of variables and name of functions from tscp but at that point I had no working code(only variables and empty functions and few arrays when I needed to add code for it).

2)I added my own code to make my original legal move generator
and I worked on fixing bugs that I found in it and improving the speed of the program when I use perft to debug it.

3)I added piece square table evaluation that is of course not part of tscp
and is practically worse than tscp evaluation because it did not have knowledge about pawn structure or king safety.

4)I added code to use the alpha beta algorithm based on tscp when I also added some pruning when the remaining depth is small.

This was the first version and later I improved the search and the evaluation.

In the last versions I clearly used ideas from fruit.
For example old movei evaluated mobility based on the number of the legal moves and I changed the code to give a bigger weight to knight moves or bishop moves based on the ideas from fruit.
Another example is that fruit use average between opening function and endgame function based on the stage of the game.

I did not have this idea in movei and changed it to have average between opening and endgame evaluation because I learned it from fruit.

Fabien did not invent this idea but I did not know earlier that this idea is a good idea.
Thanks for the honest answer dear Uri

Yes, I see... it seems you put a lot of efforts for creating Movei

But however, in my understanding Movei is not a scratch engine

Note that my new tournament project is just for participants which are totally written from scratch
Sedat Canbaz

Post by Sedat Canbaz »

phenri wrote:https://chessprogramming.wikispaces.com/Glaurung

Glaurung 2.2 src+bin

Code: Select all

https://github.com/mpurland/glaurung/archive/1ac8827b1f0bf60de2c390d9e855980943ca4be5.zip
Thanks for the link
mrlissandrello

Post by mrlissandrello »

Hi,

Neurone, my chess engine has been developed from scratch.
link http://www.g-sei.org/neurone-3/

Best regards
LL
Sedat Canbaz

Post by Sedat Canbaz »

mrlissandrello wrote:Hi,

Neurone, my chess engine has been developed from scratch.
link http://www.g-sei.org/neurone-3/

Best regards
LL
Thank you !

I will include Neurone engine too

Best,
Sedat
velmarin

Post by velmarin »

Friend Sedat,
Make your tournament without being supreme judge.
I mean, the authors will tell you the status of your engine,
where the authors do not appear, you decide.

And when you make the tournament, leave room for doubt, somehow.

Try a less drastic title.
Or open the hand, and are not, scratch, scratch.
Pandora's box will open.