Komodo TCEC: Serious castling bug !

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Paloma
Full name: Herbert L

Re: Komodo TCEC: Serious castling bug !

Post by Paloma »

Hi,

here with - movecounter set to 12 - K TCEC hangs too. :shock:

[Event "?"]
[Site "?"]
[Date "????.??.??"]
[Round "?"]
[White "Houdini 4 x64"]
[Black "Komodo TCEC x64"]
[Result "1-0"]
[SetUp "1"]
[FEN "r1b2rk1/pp1nqppp/2pbpn2/3p4/2PP4/2NBPN2/PPQB1PPP/R3K2R w KQ - 0 12"] <------
[PlyCount "1"]

12. O-O 1-0

When i tested from this position (2 halfmoves earlier)

[Event "?"]
[Site "?"]
[Date "????.??.??"]
[Round "?"]
[White "Houdini 4 x64"]
[Result "1-0"]
[SetUp "1"]
[FEN "r1b2rk1/pp1nqppp/2pbp3/3p4/2PP2n1/2NBPN2/PP1B1PPP/R2QK2R w KQ - 0 11"]
[PlyCount "1"]

11. Qc2 Ngf6 12. O-O 1-0
then it works !!

(both in Fritz GUI)
IWB

Post by IWB »

Paloma wrote:Hi,

here with - movecounter set to 12 - K TCEC hangs too. :shock:
And now try a PGN with moves to that position and it will work.

and again, with FEN there is a problem ...

Bye
Ingo
IWB

Post by IWB »

OneTrickPony wrote:
I don't know which position he had but here are two where Komodo TCEC doesn't see castling in Tarrasch (so I guess it crashes in other GUIs when attempting to play):
Yes, and no.

It seems to be a combination of a FEN problem when followed by a castling and a GUI converting a PGN movelist to an FEN which is unnessesary in UCI but not explicitly forbiden.

This is your second example as PGN

[Event "TEST"]
[Site "Somewhere"]
[Date "2013.12.10"]
[Round "1"]
[White "A"]
[Black "B"]
[Result "*"]

1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 e5 3. dxe5 Ng4 4. e3 Nxe5 5. f4 Bb4+ 6. Bd2
Bxd2+ 7. Qxd2 Ng6 8. Bd3 O-O 9. Nf3 Re8 *

I saved that as Test.pgn*. Load it in the Shredder Classic GUI and K-TCEC runs fine when I do the castling manualy.

See:

[Event "TEST"]
[Site "Somewhere"]
[Date "2013.12.10"]
[Round "1"]
[White "A"]
[Black "B"]
[Result "*"]

1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 e5 3. dxe5 Ng4 4. e3 Nxe5 5. f4 Bb4+ 6. Bd2
Bxd2+ 7. Qxd2 Ng6 8. Bd3 O-O 9. Nf3 Re8 10. O-O {0s} d6
{+0.44/20 7s} *

K-TCEC has a FEN bug, your GUI converts PGN to FEN (not directly forbidden but redundant).

Two minor things make finaly a problem :-)

BYe
Ingo

* when I put your PGN in directly it crashes in the Classic too, but that is not a proper startposition for a testset ;-)
mjlef

Post by mjlef »

pohl4711 wrote:During my testrun of Komodo TCEC 64bit for my LS-ratinglist a serious castling-bug appeared:
When Komodo plays black and the first move of the opponent is 0-0 (and the movecounter is 1 (in the LittleBlitzerGUI the first move has always the movenumber 1)), than Komodo TCEC crashes.
Same under the FritzGUI (I have Fritz 13 GUI):

Take the PGN-game below or just copy the FEN in the FritzGUI, then load Komodo TCEC 64bit and then play 0-0 manually for white - and Komodo TCEC crashes...

Because of that, I could not finish the LS-testrun of Komodo TCEC (I had more than 40 crash-games). Have to wait for a bugfix...

[Event "?"]
[Site "?"]
[Date "????.??.??"]
[Round "?"]
[White "Houdini 4 x64"]
[Result "1-0"]
[SetUp "1"]
[FEN "r1b2rk1/pp1nqppp/2pbpn2/3p4/2PP4/2NBPN2/PPQB1PPP/R3K2R w KQ - 0 1"]
[PlyCount "1"]

1. O-O 1-0
Thanks for letting us know. I confirm there is a problem loading your fen position which is followed immediately by a castling move. And I found out why and am now testing a fix. The error involved setting the internal incheck flag, which if incorrect would disallow castling (since castling when incheck is illegal).

Please note the problem was confined only to fen positions immediately followed by a castling move (and even then, not all cases). For those using programs like Arena, merely selecting Position - Setup a position, OK before running the engine will keep the error from happening.

Once we fully test the fix, we will let you know so buyers can get an update.
pohl4711
Full name: Stefan Pohl

Post by pohl4711 »

mjlef wrote:
pohl4711 wrote:During my testrun of Komodo TCEC 64bit for my LS-ratinglist a serious castling-bug appeared:
When Komodo plays black and the first move of the opponent is 0-0 (and the movecounter is 1 (in the LittleBlitzerGUI the first move has always the movenumber 1)), than Komodo TCEC crashes.
Same under the FritzGUI (I have Fritz 13 GUI):

Take the PGN-game below or just copy the FEN in the FritzGUI, then load Komodo TCEC 64bit and then play 0-0 manually for white - and Komodo TCEC crashes...

Because of that, I could not finish the LS-testrun of Komodo TCEC (I had more than 40 crash-games). Have to wait for a bugfix...

[Event "?"]
[Site "?"]
[Date "????.??.??"]
[Round "?"]
[White "Houdini 4 x64"]
[Result "1-0"]
[SetUp "1"]
[FEN "r1b2rk1/pp1nqppp/2pbpn2/3p4/2PP4/2NBPN2/PPQB1PPP/R3K2R w KQ - 0 1"]
[PlyCount "1"]

1. O-O 1-0
Thanks for letting us know. I confirm there is a problem loading your fen position which is followed immediately by a castling move. And I found out why and am now testing a fix. The error involved setting the internal incheck flag, which if incorrect would disallow castling (since castling when incheck is illegal).

Please note the problem was confined only to fen positions immediately followed by a castling move (and even then, not all cases). For those using programs like Arena, merely selecting Position - Setup a position, OK before running the engine will keep the error from happening.

Once we fully test the fix, we will let you know so buyers can get an update.
Thanx. Then I will do a new testrun for my LS-ratinglist...
For my test-timeline: Any idea, when the bugfix will be released?

Stefan
pohl4711
Full name: Stefan Pohl

Post by pohl4711 »

IWB wrote:
pohl4711 wrote: OK, so to conclude.

1. When K-TCEC gets a FEN your opponent starts with a castling move THEN K-TCEC crashes.
2. Your Test crashes because the GUI gives FEN even if it has the positions as PGN.

Bye
Ingo
Thats a very good summary of the problem-situation. But the bug will not only harm LittleBlitzerGUI users, but also users, who set up positions manually on the board of a GUI, when that postion allow castlings as the first move.

Stefan
mjlef

Post by mjlef »

I am pleased to announce a revised version of Komodo-TCEC, which we call Komodo-TCECr. It fixes the reported error in fen diagrams followed by castling moves. It also fixes a minor issue of an error message when uses run Komodo in a Windows cmd window and close it using the title bar X instead of using the “quit” command.

Komodo TCEC owners can log into account on the Komodochess.com site (http://komodochess.com/store/secure/log ... /index.php) to download the revised version.

Note that users running matches using “Little Blitzer” will want to get the download, since Little Blitzer apparently converts PGNs to fens during match play. Since the error disallowed castling after many fen positions, Komodo might not find the castling move after a fen, which could hurt play on testers using fens. This is fixed in the TCECr version.

Thanks again for reporting the bug. We want Komodo to be rock solid and really appreciate it when you let us know about problems so we can fix them quickly.

I wish to thank Jeremy Bernstein for making the Windows X close patch.

Mark
Vinvin
Full name: Vincent Lejeune

Post by Vinvin »

mjlef wrote:I am pleased to announce a revised version of Komodo-TCEC, which we call Komodo-TCECr.
Mark
May be Komodo-TCEC-r1 is a better (more clear) name.
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

Vinvin wrote:
mjlef wrote:I am pleased to announce a revised version of Komodo-TCEC, which we call Komodo-TCECr.
Mark
May be Komodo-TCEC-r1 is a better (more clear) name.
I thought there was no need to make the name longer with the "1" because we do not anticipate another bugfix version, and if there is one we can still put a "2" after it.
ouachita
Full name: Bobby Johnson

Post by ouachita »

doesn't work for me; is it working for anyone else?
SIM, PhD, MBA, PE