Komodo-TCEC

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

lkaufman

Komodo-TCEC

Post by lkaufman »

Mark and I have decided to release the Komodo version that won TCEC, with only option defaults and name changed. It will be called "Komodo-TCEC". To make it identical to the version that beat Stockfish in the final, just set table memory to 256, drawscore to zero, and hash size to the appropriate amount. These settings are appropriate for long time control games against closely rated opposition.
I expect that it will be ready to send out in a few days, we just need to do a few things to get ready for a release, and Mark isn't available until Tuesday. We're announcing it now so that those wanting to buy Komodo will know to wait rather than to purchase Komodo 6 now.
We decided not to include our up-to-the-minute version as we estimate that it is only one elo stronger, not worth the bother.
I am currently running tests at 2' plus 1" against Houdini 4 and Stockfish DD and will compare the results with Komodo 6. In direct bullet play, Komodo tcec beat Komodo 6 by 25 elo points in ten thousand games.
No decisions have been made yet about pricing.
This is of course the final version that is primarily the work of Don Dailey, who died just as the TCEC final got underway and who continued to work on Komodo until just a few days before his passing. We didn't name it after him as that might imply that all earlier versions were not his work, which would of course be false, but it is of course dedicated to his memory. It is also the first version with a significant contribution by my new Komodo partner Mark Lefler. I hope people will remember Don whenever they use Komodo. Don's widow Mary will receive an equal share of the profits for five years.
Mithu

Re: Komodo-TCEC

Post by Mithu »

Hi Larry
Will this be a free update to those who already purchased K6? I am sorry if this was already mentioned anywhere...
Let me make it clear that I have no intentions to demand it as such. Free for K6 buyers or not, my respect to DD will be the same.
Regards
Jesse Gersenson

Re: Komodo TCEC

Post by Jesse Gersenson »

Komodo TCEC, without the hyphen. Hyphens cause trouble in search engines.
George

Post by George »

lkaufman wrote:Mark and I have decided to release the Komodo version that won TCEC, with only option defaults and name changed. It will be called "Komodo-TCEC". To make it identical to the version that beat Stockfish in the final, just set table memory to 256, drawscore to zero, and hash size to the appropriate amount. These settings are appropriate for long time control games against closely rated opposition.
I expect that it will be ready to send out in a few days, we just need to do a few things to get ready for a release, and Mark isn't available until Tuesday. We're announcing it now so that those wanting to buy Komodo will know to wait rather than to purchase Komodo 6 now.
We decided not to include our up-to-the-minute version as we estimate that it is only one elo stronger, not worth the bother.
I am currently running tests at 2' plus 1" against Houdini 4 and Stockfish DD and will compare the results with Komodo 6. In direct bullet play, Komodo tcec beat Komodo 6 by 25 elo points in ten thousand games.
No decisions have been made yet about pricing.
This is of course the final version that is primarily the work of Don Dailey, who died just as the TCEC final got underway and who continued to work on Komodo until just a few days before his passing. We didn't name it after him as that might imply that all earlier versions were not his work, which would of course be false, but it is of course dedicated to his memory. It is also the first version with a significant contribution by my new Komodo partner Mark Lefler. I hope people will remember Don whenever they use Komodo. Don's widow Mary will receive an equal share of the profits for five years.
Where can I download it , and I will make a reasonable donation ? :wink:
M ANSARI

Post by M ANSARI »

Would be very interested in purchasing this version especially if it donates something to Don's next of kin.
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

Mithu wrote:Hi Larry
Will this be a free update to those who already purchased K6? I am sorry if this was already mentioned anywhere...
Let me make it clear that I have no intentions to demand it as such. Free for K6 buyers or not, my respect to DD will be the same.
Regards
No, it certainly won't be free as it is a major upgrade. We are discussing whether to offer a discount to K6 purchasers due to the relatively short time interval between the two releases.
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

M ANSARI wrote:Would be very interested in purchasing this version especially if it donates something to Don's next of kin.
The download will be at Komodochess.com. We will announce here when it is ready. Don's widow Mary will receive an equal share of Komodo profits for five years.
Paul Bedrey

Post by Paul Bedrey »

Will the ponder "fail low" problem be fixed?
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

Paul Bedrey wrote:Will the ponder "fail low" problem be fixed?
I don't think Don got to it before he died. We'll put it on the list for the next version.
fern

Post by fern »

Hi Larry:
Perhaps, following and idea by Timothy F and me, you could produce also a DVD with the program you mention and some extra stuff based in Don life, say, clips of his participation in tournaments, old programs by him -which you can get, as I have done, in "abandonia",like Kasparov Gambit and Socrates-, maybe yourself saying something about your partnership,etc.
It would be an special edition priced high, perhaps 100 bucks, which could be useful, even if the stock sold is not very great, to support the widow.
I understand that to produce a decent DVD is not that expensive and could be made even by private people in his house.

Fern