Stockfish DD: a new official release

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

mcostalba

Stockfish DD: a new official release

Post by mcostalba »

This is a new release of Stockfish after the last TCEC season. It is almost the same version that played the superfinal against Komodo. You can download at http://stockfishchess.org/ or browse the sources at https://github.com/mcostalba/Stockfish . If you still don’t find the release package please wait few hours while our site is being updated. For people compiling themselves, please verify signature is correct running ‘stockfish bench’ from a terminal window. At the end of the run, searched nodes shall be 8596156

Diffs from last version is: 32 files changed, 966 insertions(+), 1257 deletions(-)

So 291 lines of code less but should be quite stronger than version 4. For interested people here is the breakdown of lines count.

Code: Select all

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Language                     files          blank        comment          code
C++                            20           2088           1577           5547
C/C++ Header                   21            638            555           1555
make                           1             82             80            417
SUM:                           41           2726           2132           7102

And here is the list of developers that contributed to this release:

Code: Select all

Chris Caino
Eelco de Groot
Gary Linscott
Gregor Cramer
Hongzhi Cheng
Jean-Francois Romang
Joona Kiiski
Jörg Oster
Kelly Wilson
Kojirion
Lucas Braesch
Marco Costalba
Matthew Sullivan
Ralph Stößer
Raminder Singh
Reuven Peleg
Uri Blass
A special thank to Daylen Yang, our precious webmaster and builder of the Mac binaries and to http://abrok.eu/stockfish/ from which I have, shameless, took the Windows binaries.

This release is dedicated to Don.
Graham Banks

Re: Stockfish DD: a new official release

Post by Graham Banks »

mcostalba wrote:This release is dedicated to Don.
Nice thought. :)
gbanksnz at gmail.com
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

Graham Banks wrote:
mcostalba wrote:This release is dedicated to Don.
Nice thought. :)
Naming it DD was indeed a very thoughtful tribute to Don. We can't very well do the same with the next Komodo since every version until now has been a DD version. For the record, I would say that Don was the primary author thru version 1133 which played stage 4 of TCEC, while any changes since then are the fruit (yes, pun intended) of my collaboration with Mark Leffler. I would also like to say that if Don could list the engines that have had the greatest influence on the development of Komodo, Stockfish would rank as number 1.
Vinvin
Full name: Vincent Lejeune

Post by Vinvin »

I would prefer the name entire "Stockfish Don Dailey".
parrish

Post by parrish »

Nice! I was somewhat disappointed with Stockfish 4, which I found to play weaker than Stockfish 3 in some situations. Stockfish DD is definitely a huge improvement!
Ryan Benitez

Post by Ryan Benitez »

Stockfish is an amazing project in that it is possibly the worlds strongest chess engine and there is almost nothing to learn from the source code. Everything it does was well known to programmers in 2005 but Stockfish put together a great test method and implemented the existing ideas in a more consistent and probably better tuned way. Another great part of Stockfish is that it shows that eventually the GPL wins over the Clone Groups (TM). Don beating the clones as well is a pleasant surprise and a testament to his skill. It is sad that Don is no longer with us, he and Stockfish are the primary reasons that computer chess has recently become interesting again for the first time since about 2005.
Stonewall

Post by Stonewall »

Congrats Stockfish Team!! Can you estimate the Elo gain over Version 4 ??
Imagination is better than knowledge
lucasart
Full name: lucasart

Post by lucasart »

Stonewall wrote:Congrats Stockfish Team!! Can you estimate the Elo gain over Version 4 ??
About +65 elo. Note that this estimation is based on: self-play against SF 4, 1 thread, tc=1'+0.05" for a benchmark machine at 1.6Mnps.

How this +65 elo will translate in rating list condition, with unrelated engines and at longer time control, with increment, or at tournament time control, is (as always) an open question.

+50 elo in rating lists would be really nice! Would bridge half the 100 elo gap between Stockfish 4 and Houdini 4 in CEGT 5'+3" for example.
Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.
pohl4711
Full name: Stefan Pohl

Post by pohl4711 »

Stonewall wrote:Congrats Stockfish Team!! Can you estimate the Elo gain over Version 4 ??
The test of Stockfish DD for umy LS-ratinglist will start tomorrow and should end on Thursday morning.
Then we will know the Elo gain.

Stefan
carldaman

Post by carldaman »

parrish wrote:Nice! I was somewhat disappointed with Stockfish 4, which I found to play weaker than Stockfish 3 in some situations. Stockfish DD is definitely a huge improvement!
I had been critical of the way Stockfish 4 played in closed positions, but changes applied in a few short months show a distinct and remarkable improvement (even) in this area. I would like to post a few interesting test games later on when I have time.

Regards,
CL