Crafty 23.8

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

bob

Crafty 23.8

Post by bob »

I just released the source for 23.8. Two changes.

1. The crash with egtbs has been fixed. Was related to the "hash the PV" code. After an EGTB hit, I call "HashStore" to save the position/score to avoid doing another egtb probe for the same position. Unfortunately, there was a way I failed to update the PV (value >= beta) which broke HashStore since the PV contained garbage. Bad moves wreck things later. It is fixed in this version

2. Max depth is now 128, and PVs can also be 128 moves long, since the PV hash code works so well this seemed advisable to prevent a few short PVs (with just 64 moves in them).
Peter Skinner
Full name: Peter Skinner

Re: Crafty 23.8

Post by Peter Skinner »

bob wrote:I just released the source for 23.8. Two changes.

1. The crash with egtbs has been fixed. Was related to the "hash the PV" code. After an EGTB hit, I call "HashStore" to save the position/score to avoid doing another egtb probe for the same position. Unfortunately, there was a way I failed to update the PV (value >= beta) which broke HashStore since the PV contained garbage. Bad moves wreck things later. It is fixed in this version

2. Max depth is now 128, and PVs can also be 128 moves long, since the PV hash code works so well this seemed advisable to prevent a few short PVs (with just 64 moves in them).
Is the FTP down? I can't log in to grab the new source and nothing is in my email :)

Peter
I was kicked out of Chapters because I moved all the Bibles to the fiction section.
bob

Post by bob »

Peter Skinner wrote:

Is the FTP down? I can't log in to grab the new source and nothing is in my email :)

Peter
ftp is gone.

To access all the old stuff (exactly as it was on ftp box):

www.cis.uab.edu/hyatt/crafty
Robert Pope

Post by Robert Pope »

Is it possible for you to update the ftp link you have at http://www.cis.uab.edu/hyatt/ to reflect this change? That's where I always go by default.
bob

Post by bob »

Robert Pope wrote:Is it possible for you to update the ftp link you have at http://www.cis.uab.edu/hyatt/ to reflect this change? That's where I always go by default.
Done, thanks for pointing it out...
Tom Likens

Post by Tom Likens »

I'm sorry, I know why you did it, but I had to laugh. How things have changed when a 64 move PV is considered "short"! :)

--tom