Chess 2013 by Filip Hofer

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Norbert Raimund Leisner

Chess 2013 by Filip Hofer

Post by Norbert Raimund Leisner »

Hello together,

what are your impressions of the (free) trial-version Chess 2013?

http://www.filiphofer.net/software.php?lang=en

It is a native application and does not support the implementation of external WinBoard / UCI Engines.

Best wishes,
Norbert
mar
Full name: Martin Sedlak

Re: Chess 2013 by Filip Hofer

Post by mar »

It's always nice to support independent developers.
However the engine is a bit weak even at grandmaster level, basically a fixed depth search with no move ordering (at least not at root) but may be fun for casual players.
The GUI looks nice but again has nothing to offer to serious players IMHO.
Anyway if you like it - buy it :) I remember Filip's first program he wrote many years ago - it totally destroyed my first program.
filiphofer.net

Post by filiphofer.net »

Hi Guys, thank you for your posts! At present, my chess software is surely more suitable for casual players rather than for serious players. Nonetheless, I have also received positive feedback from advanced players who find it good for training. I am passionate about further chess software development and I am looking forward to adding more features in next products. Norbert has already given me some cool hints such as UCI/Winboard support or richer time-control settings. If you have any questions or comments, please go ahead and post here or on my website (www.filiphofer.net).
fern

Post by fern »

Flip, first thing is to get the engine to play ay 2500 Elo as a minimum.
If you get that, you an buldi over such a floor.
If not, then your software is not for people here.
NOT that every guy here is 20500+, BUT they are used to that level of engines.
To be beaten by a 1500 elo program is shameful :-)

Fern
carldaman

Post by carldaman »

filiphofer.net wrote:Hi Guys, thank you for your posts! At present, my chess software is surely more suitable for casual players rather than for serious players. Nonetheless, I have also received positive feedback from advanced players who find it good for training. I am passionate about further chess software development and I am looking forward to adding more features in next products. Norbert has already given me some cool hints such as UCI/Winboard support or richer time-control settings. If you have any questions or comments, please go ahead and post here or on my website (www.filiphofer.net).
Hi Filip,

Could you please elaborate on the "Advanced artificial intelligence" aspect of your program ? I'm very interested in chess engines that can closely emulate human play, with all the human strengths and weaknesses.

I would also like to see programs developed that are tuned primarily against human opponents, and not against other engines. I believe such programs can *potentially* be better and more useful sparring or analysis partners for humans than even the top engines of today.

I also wish the trial period could be more than just 2 hours (maybe at least 6 or 12 hours would work better?). :)

Regards,
CL
Mithu

Post by Mithu »

I installed your program and found it tough to beat. It did pamper me a bit but that was the opening stage I guess... Are you planning on the user being able to change the style of play maybe a slider control, ranging from Petrosian to Tal? :)

Coming to the GUI, it misses some important features that prevents me from enjoying it even more. I sincerely wish that these be improved/implemented as and when time permits.

Other than these limitations (which I am sure will be improved) the GUI is fantastic - a welcome change for its new and smooth feel. Congrats! I wish you all the best in your endeavors!

I am slowly falling in love with your GUI so...

Regards...
filiphofer.net

Post by filiphofer.net »

Thank you all for your kind messages. Notes taken :) I am keen on the idea of a "play style" slider control.
Could you please elaborate on the "Advanced artificial intelligence" aspect of your program?
Well, it is the most advanced AI that I could come up with so far. Technically speaking, it is quite standard: a min-max search with alpha-beta and iterative deepening.